EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Annoying Chirp

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 06:39 PM
hogsm
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Annoying Chirp

I have a 1999 FXSTC (basically still stock) that produces an annoying chirp in the following situations when riding along at 50-60 mph: pull in clutch and release (chirp); release throttle (chirp). However, engage front brake (no chirp). So it doesn't appear to be related to the front suspension. Bike was just serviced and all cables look good. Ideas?

Old 09-12-2010, 07:00 PM
NorthGeorgiaHawg
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hogsm
I have a 1999 FXSTC (basically still stock) that produces an annoying chirp in the following situations when riding along at 50-60 mph: pull in clutch and release (chirp); release throttle (chirp). However, engage front brake (no chirp). So it doesn't appear to be related to the front suspension. Bike was just serviced and all cables look good. Ideas?
A blown head gasket will produce "chirps" like this.

Old 09-12-2010, 10:36 PM
Helge
Cruiser

I'm battling a chirp on my 98 Fatboy as well. There are a lot of threads on the subject. Mine works in the opposite, it only chirps when I throttle up, but, not on decel or letting the clutch out. From what I gather you problem sounds like the drive belt is a little loose. You can do a simple test to check if it is your drive belt by rubbing some soap or parafin wax on the outside edge of the belt. This will quiet it down immediately if it is your belt. Read the threads and try your options. I corrected mine for a while but it's come back, so I think I have to realign the rear end. Good Luck.

Old 09-13-2010, 06:37 AM
4 inch pistons
Road Master
Received 141 Likes on 81 Posts

I have been told the chirp on my 90 Heritage is the Manuki carb. Hard to hear it without the windshield. I can see where it will get on your last nerve.

Old 09-13-2010, 05:15 PM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,701 Likes on 1,988 Posts

My bike will "chirp" like you describe if the belt is a bit loose. Check your belt adjustment before you do anything else. MY belt will chirp when chopping the throttle if it's loose, and squeal if it's too tight.

It's worse starting out on a cold morning, as the belt is looser when cold, and tends to tighten as the bike warms up.

Old 09-13-2010, 05:55 PM
IronGear
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

It is definitely a belt issue.
Quite common.
Ensure belt(and pulley) is well cleaned, with mild soapy water and an old toothbrush, or the like.
Follow this with correct adjustment.

Old 09-14-2010, 05:51 AM
galtjunk
Stellar HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 152 Posts

If you can't clear up the chirp with a good cleaning or a little silicon spray on the belt, you may need to check your transmission drive pulley. Mine had a 1/4" groove worn in it. A new pulley made the chirp go away.

Old 09-14-2010, 05:37 PM
IronGear
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by galtjunk
If you can't clear up the chirp with a good cleaning or a little silicon spray on the belt, you may need to check your transmission drive pulley. Mine had a 1/4" groove worn in it. A new pulley made the chirp go away.

Should cleaning and adjustment not suffice, this,as well as the pulley being loose, is quite reasonable to consider.

Old 09-14-2010, 05:41 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Not to steal the OP issue, but my chirp was at the tailpipe(s) rubber mount(s) & needed to silicone to prevent the noise.

Old 09-15-2010, 06:01 AM
dremelts
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 4 inch pistons
I have been told the chirp on my 90 Heritage is the Manuki carb. Hard to hear it without the windshield. I can see where it will get on your last nerve.
Now that you mention it... I have not noticed my chirp since I replaced the Mikuni with a stock CV carb.

Quick Reply: Annoying Chirp