EVO All Evo Model Discussion

HD killing the EVO

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 09:38 AM
evofloyd
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HD killing the EVO

Harley stop making the evo oil filter. Replacing it with a universal one that fits both the evo & TC, how does that work, 30 microns/ 10 microns. Do my own work and some times Harley does **** me off. Tech's diff on a lot of crap. All the best info comes from sites like this. Went to a K&N filter, and they stoped their micron specs on filters, told me it meets the specs, do get bette flow to the tank. When you can get 150,000 miles {or better} out of well cared for evo, guess Harley dont like it, at least in sales.
Just found out Harley did a bar code mess up making the TC filter an evo, Also the stock evo filter cant handle the flow from a s&s high volume pump, the K&N works fine. Dam its fun learn 'n when your an old f"""k

Last edited by evofloyd; 02-23-2011 at 01:49 PM.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:47 AM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 227 Likes on 152 Posts

I guess when most dealer refuse to work on bikes 10 years old or older, they figured most people would roll it around back to the dumpster, and buy a new bike on the spot. Most mfgrs have a of responsibility to provide replacement parts for 10 years. The last Evos were '99"s, so I guess they took it to the end. But like you said, the aftermarket crowd will be there to fill the void left if Harley truly is not going to support their product. Maybe the motorcycle marketplace is not as bad off as everyone thinks. It would seem chancey to drop a item in hopes that it will encourage people to buy new when money is as tight for most. A friend was a a local dealer recently and the sales guy told him Harley had to repo a few thousand bikes last year. Wouldn't it be nice to see Harley actually have a sale on motorcycles for once, instead of just tee shirts?.,

Old 02-23-2011, 11:48 AM
1997bagger
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,627 Likes on 842 Posts

Welcome aboard Floyd, interesting on the universal filter, it has always been stated that a Evo won't push oil thru a Twinkee filter properly and a no-no to use it. Would have to say with the Evo idle oil pressure, it would be a correct statement. HD can't kill the best engine they ever designed, just reminisce of the day.

Big Cahuna, HD made a FXR style Evo in 2000

Last edited by 1997bagger; 02-23-2011 at 11:53 AM.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:19 PM
perpulreaper
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Someone on here sead that a Toyota filter is the same as a HD EVO filter don't know witch one it wold be but maybe someone on here could tell us

Old 02-23-2011, 12:32 PM
Jim Kraft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 113 Likes on 40 Posts

HD on their web site has always said that the Twinkie filter is a retrofit to Shovel's and EVO's. It is also the filter that is listed for the 99 EVO. I have run both without problems in my 99 EVO, but I do like the older filter better, as some have said they do not flow enough for the EVO.

Old 02-23-2011, 12:50 PM
#1rocketman
Road Captain

I've been under the impression theres an "anti-drainback" issue between the Evos and Twinkies filters. Using anti drainback on Evos is a big no no???? Someone wanna chime in on this.

Old 02-23-2011, 12:58 PM
Ramona
Cruiser

Purolator ML16822.....black. Buy them by the case.... There are other American made filters out there.....
Who do you think makes filters for the MoCo? Harley doesn't make their own filters, Why pay the MoCo for a chrome filter that was made for them by the lowest bidder?
Do your homework, and spec out other better quality filters....micron capture of the filter media, and by-pass relief pressure.

Old 02-23-2011, 01:33 PM
evofloyd
Cruiser

Originally Posted by 1997bagger
Welcome aboard Floyd, interesting on the universal filter, it has always been stated that a Evo won't push oil thru a Twinkee filter properly and a no-no to use it. Would have to say with the Evo idle oil pressure, it would be a correct statement. HD can't kill the best engine they ever designed, just reminisce of the day.

Big Cahuna, HD made a FXR style Evo in 2000
Still learn'n. No one told me that after installing the s&s oil pump the stock evo filter would not work well, that I had to go with a high volume filter, and the k&n works. Harley did have a bar code mess up on the filters, I guess making the TC filter to be an evo,but they didnt let us know. Just found this out, so guess they are not making one filter that fits both.

Old 02-23-2011, 01:39 PM
evofloyd
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Ramona
Purolator ML16822.....black. Buy them by the case.... There are other American made filters out there.....
Who do you think makes filters for the MoCo? Harley doesn't make their own filters, Why pay the MoCo for a chrome filter that was made for them by the lowest bidder?
Do your homework, and spec out other better quality filters....micron capture of the filter media, and by-pass relief pressure.
well just found out Harley did a mess up on the bar code making the TC filter a evo, they didnt let us know. After installing a s&s oil pump I learned stock filters cant handle the flow, K&N works fine.

Old 02-23-2011, 01:44 PM
evofloyd
Cruiser

Originally Posted by #1rocketman
I've been under the impression theres an "anti-drainback" issue between the Evos and Twinkies filters. Using anti drainback on Evos is a big no no???? Someone wanna chime in on this.
Just found out Harley did a mess up on thier bar code making the TC an evo. With the s&s pump, k&n gives the flow needed

Quick Reply: HD killing the EVO