EVO All Evo Model Discussion

winter storage

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 05:54 PM
MJHJEA
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default winter storage

I live in the midwest where winter sucks....already in the 20's here. Anyways, was wondering if you guys starve out your carbs before storing. After adding Stabil and topping off the tank, I turn off the fuel and let her run until she quits. But is this necessary or better to not do it.....your opinions. Thanks

Old 11-13-2014, 06:34 PM
machinehed
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Excellent question re: winterizing.

Originally Posted by MJHJEA
I live in the midwest where winter sucks....already in the 20's here. Anyways, was wondering if you guys starve out your carbs before storing. After adding Stabil and topping off the tank, I turn off the fuel and let her run until she quits. But is this necessary or better to not do it.....your opinions. Thanks
Im in Canada and find that most dont understand how to winter store a bike or summer store a snowblower or pretty much anything .
The confusion usually starts when we all go out and purchase " fuel stabiliser " . This stuff is great and will keep fuel fresh for many months.
The problems occure when the stabiliser is poured into the fuel tank but not run through the carb.
Its the carb. that needs it most so after pouring it in the tank you must run the engine to ensure it has reached and filled the carb.!
I suggest that a carb. bowl be removed and cleaned every year , with or without stabilizer as there will usually be some crap in it . Your choise .

Old 11-13-2014, 06:39 PM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 76 Posts

I just top off the tank with fresh fuel, close the petcock, and put it to bed for the winter.

I also pull the battery and put it on a Battery Tender.

Old 11-13-2014, 06:45 PM
traildog
Extreme HDF Member
Received 702 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by Hackd
I just top off the tank with fresh fuel, close the petcock, and put it to bed for the winter.

I also pull the battery and put it on a Battery Tender.

Hey Hackster, why not just leave the battery in the bike?

Old 11-13-2014, 08:24 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,718 Likes on 1,350 Posts

I fill the tank, add Stabil and either run the motor with the petcock off until it stops or pull the plug at the bottom of the carb (S&S) and drain it.

Old 11-14-2014, 06:58 AM
MJHJEA
Road Warrior

Oh, and one other quicky…..w/o stirring up another oil thread, I'm about due for an oil change. Any ill effect on these evos if I were to wait until Spring to change it?

Old 11-14-2014, 07:23 AM
flhchaz
Club Member
Received 1,285 Likes on 499 Posts

I've always changed my oil in the spring. I know that people say that you should put it away with clean fluids. I've never had an issue and I've doing it this way since 1998 in my flht.

Old 11-14-2014, 07:29 AM
br549A1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Isn't the issue not changing it in the spring due to condensation inside the engine over the winter? I've always been a stabil in the tank and make sure it finds its way to the carb. If the carb isn't empty it won't gum up if stabilized. If empty little bits can evaporate over time and cause issues.

Old 11-14-2014, 08:54 AM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,708 Likes on 1,992 Posts

Originally Posted by traildog
Hey Hackster, why not just leave the battery in the bike?
In my case, the garage sees frequent excursions below 0 F. in the winter, and a discharged battery can freeze. Better to be safe and pull it.

I've always changed my oil before storage, then changed it in the spring at the next scheduled interval. This year, winter has come early, and the bike is STILL at the shop waiting for the painter to paint the rear fender (going on 8 weeks), so I don't expect to get the chance to change the oil this year.

I don't drain the carb before storage, but I do remove the float bowl in the spring and empty it out before starting the bike.

Last edited by Uncle G.; 11-14-2014 at 08:59 AM.
Old 11-14-2014, 09:20 AM
MJHJEA
Road Warrior

I've always had bad luck whenever I've pulled a battery. I just leave it in on a tender….never had an issue. Getting back to the oil thing….I also run my bike up to operating temps once or twice during the cold winter. With or without fresh oil, has this been a good, bad, or indifferent thing to do? I guess I'm just paranoid since I know I'm never parting with this evo and find myself questioning some of my past practices.

Quick Reply: winter storage