EVO All Evo Model Discussion

cam curious

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 06:33 PM
glidein wide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts
Question cam curious

How much is involved in just a cam upgrade on 86evo as far as disassembly goes ?

Old 01-21-2015, 08:09 PM
Tee&Vee
Stellar HDF Member
Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

Are you using bolt cutters or not?

Old 01-21-2015, 09:36 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by glidein wide
How much is involved in just a cam upgrade on 86evo as far as disassembly goes ?
Read the above sticky "Kees Learns The Truth.........", then come back and ask informed questions.

Old 01-22-2015, 01:02 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 483 Likes on 278 Posts

Depends on whether your lifters are due for replacement (50k miles) because there is a short cut if using new lifters but owing the propensity for Evos to leak from the rocker base gasket (this is different from the cylinder base gasket) I would do the job long hand.

Rocker covers have to come off, rocker gear and rocker base come off, the pushrod tubes out, lifter blocks off, lifters removed and then cam cover (on some bikes this means removal of the front exhaust pipe).

Replacing the inner cam bearing is compulsory, using adjustable pushrods is not, so long as you are using a bolt-in cam.

If your bike has high miles (50k plus) it is a good ides to pull the heads, clean the valve stems, cut the seats and replace the valve stem oil seals or you may find an increase in oil consumption due to the build up of varnish on the valve stems tearing the seals due to the increased lift.

Ignore anybody that tells you to spend a heap of money on upgrades that they will never afford because it will run better just with the cam.

Old 01-22-2015, 03:22 PM
GraemeR
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

+1 there. My 86 FXR runs like a scaulded cat with just a cam (EV35) upgrade.

Old 01-22-2015, 04:54 PM
glidein wide
Stellar HDF Member

Thanks, that's all I needed to hear, I'll wait until I rebuild the motor in a year or two. Only has 40 K on it. I've done small block Chevy s but never a bike, when the money is put aside I will look forward to the winter project.:

Old 01-22-2015, 05:02 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,338 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Thanks, that's all I needed to hear, I'll wait until I rebuild the motor in a year or two. Only has 40 K on it. I've done small block Chevy s but never a bike, when the money is put aside I will look forward to the winter project.:
A good cam upgrade is really all you need and if you wait 2 years you will be kicking yourself in the *** for not doing it sooner. JMO

Old 01-22-2015, 05:09 PM
tmanbuckhunter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

An evo is essentially a 350 small block with the front 2 jugs chopped off. Wish I could remember who said that on here, but it's true.

As far as what everyone else has said, it's true... cam is all you need for good street power. I will say skimming some off the heads may give you a little more excitement but for the average joe, cam is all you need.

Old 01-22-2015, 05:14 PM
glidein wide
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
A good cam upgrade is really all you need and if you wait 2 years you will be kicking yourself in the *** for not doing it sooner. JMO
I don't want to do something half *** or screw anything up by not doing enough but I am about to do more research before I sharpen my bolt cutters.

Old 01-22-2015, 05:19 PM
tmanbuckhunter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I don't want to do something half *** or screw anything up by not doing enough but I am about to do more research before I sharpen my bolt cutters.
No need to cut your pushrods... pull the rocker gear off, pull them out, and re-use them.

Quick Reply: cam curious