EVO All Evo Model Discussion

New Motor

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 02:52 PM
roadrage12
Intermediate
Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts
Default New Motor

I have a 1998 Fatboy. I'm coming up on 60k and I'm thinking about changing out the motor in the bike. I not looking to build I drag ride because I still use this bike and my other one to go on extended rides. The main reason that I'm thinking to upgrade is to add just a little more power and that the bike is starting to show and feel it's age.
I keep it serviced and in good order, but like every vehicle it still doesn't have the go it used to have, so I've been thinking of maybe changing the motor and add some new life and feel back into it.
So here is my question. If I want something different and I want to stay in the mileage range I have now with the few upgrades I have on it now, which is basically a stage 1 and cam. That is around 38 to 40 mpg what size and manufacture should I look at?
I haven't heard good things about RevTech, but S&S and Ultima seem to have good reps on to boards. Also if I get a new motor what can I keep from my stock EVO 80 going to a crate EVO? Can I use my tranny and other components?
As always any feedback is great.

Old 05-10-2016, 02:57 PM
89FLHTC
Supporter
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

When you change to a non-Harley motor, its aint a Harley anymore in my opinion. Rebuild your engine. It will run like new!

Old 05-10-2016, 03:14 PM
Crashone
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by roadrage12
I have a 1998 Fatboy. I'm coming up on 60k and I'm thinking about changing out the motor in the bike. I not looking to build I drag ride because I still use this bike and my other one to go on extended rides. The main reason that I'm thinking to upgrade is to add just a little more power and that the bike is starting to show and feel it's age.
I keep it serviced and in good order, but like every vehicle it still doesn't have the go it used to have, so I've been thinking of maybe changing the motor and add some new life and feel back into it.
So here is my question. If I want something different and I want to stay in the mileage range I have now with the few upgrades I have on it now, which is basically a stage 1 and cam. That is around 38 to 40 mpg what size and manufacture should I look at?
I haven't heard good things about RevTech, but S&S and Ultima seem to have good reps on to boards. Also if I get a new motor what can I keep from my stock EVO 80 going to a crate EVO? Can I use my tranny and other components?
As always any feedback is great.
Your old fat boy is junk now with that many well maintained miles on it. If you want I'll offer to come pick it up and pay you $500.00 for it so you can at least get a down payment out of it for a newer bigger bike.

Old 05-10-2016, 03:32 PM
IBDAGRIZ
Road Master
Received 224 Likes on 164 Posts

Simplest, easiest and cheapest route is to go with higher compression pistons and possibly a more aggressive camshaft. Add in a good 2:1 exhaust and it'll feel like a new bike. And the mileage will be about the same.

Going aftermarket on the motor is fine also. Mine is. Almost everything will be re-usable on it depending on how large you want to go. Definitely requires a good exhaust also, so figure that in too on costs..

Either is a good do-it-yourself project and will get you closer to the sled.

Griz

Old 05-10-2016, 03:33 PM
Billman812
Tourer
Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts

You can rebuild it fully including big bore and/or stroker motor to gain some more displacement or, go after market. In my 97' FLHT, I choose to go with TP Eng in a 121" and still use stock trans and the original belt. You just have to be mindful of how much power you apply from a dead stop.
Any builder can have some bad components are failures due to build or user, do some homework & good luck

Old 05-10-2016, 04:07 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

Did someone tell you that 60k was when your motor would be worn out? After doing a compression test and maybe some inspections you should be able to figure out why the bike feels "old" to you. EVO motors last much longer than you think.

If what you want is more power (normal), and a shiney new motor for bragging rights, cool, do it, but don't blame it on the EVO.

Old 05-10-2016, 04:11 PM
Zakk13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 636 Likes on 327 Posts

Why are you ditching the motor at only 60k? Should be good for many more miles unless there's something wrong and even if there was id just get it rebuilt.

Old 05-10-2016, 05:28 PM
Crashone
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 192 Posts

First dibs here.

Old 05-10-2016, 06:00 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by Crashone
First dibs here.
I'll go out on a limb and bid $501.00!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-10-2016, 06:03 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

OP in a sense of fairness I should let you know I have over 140k on my motor and am quite happy with it.
A friend has over 1/4 mill on his.

At 60k do a top end gasket set and some new lifters and ride it IMO.

Quick Reply: New Motor