EVO All Evo Model Discussion

92 FLHTC question

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 09:05 AM
jackyl_NY
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 FLHTC question

I actually put the thread over in the Touring section but it might go better here.

I was looking at a 92 yesterday with 15K on it and they guy wanted 7K for it. The engine had a lot of corrosion/oxidation on the upper end of the cylinders, sorry no pictures I actually just went to buy it and backed away for a day. It had paint pealing off the motor and I was concerned with the number of rusted bolts.

Am I just being over critical on this, the engine ran great and the bike looks fantastic.

Thoughts?

Old 01-10-2010, 09:06 AM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor
Received 1,941 Likes on 1,925 Posts

It sounds like it just needs some TLC.

Old 01-10-2010, 09:12 AM
legacycycles
Oops
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It happens,even more so when living in humid,salty climates.Its also a sign of sitting,and not being ridden.which is probaly the case with only 15k on it.It takes alot elbow grease and tlc to restore the cosmetics but it can be done...7K dosent sound like bad deal,but around here ive seen some really nice bikes sell for 8-10k.Seen 3 flht's all twinkies sell for 8-8500.00.One standard and 2 classics.All with very little mileage.

Old 01-10-2010, 09:32 AM
NorthGeorgiaHawg
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

That's really low mileage for a '92... only 833 miles/year. That means it's been sitting around a lot, and the external corrosion would suggest that it's perhaps not been sitting in a garage for its whole life, but maybe outdoors. My '95 has absolutely no corrosion on it anywhere.

Frankly, I'd be more concerned about the insides of the engine than the outside of it. If it's been sitting for long periods without being started, there could be internal corrosion, too - which would be very bad.

Just like anything else, a used bike is "worth" precisely what someone will pay for it... KBB and NADA are only guidelines. You could always offer him $6k and see how motivated he is! Or just keep looking around...

Old 01-10-2010, 10:28 AM
95 Ultra
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My wife has an '89 Softail and I've repainted the motor a couple of times. It's never been left out in the weather, but it is parked under a carport, and in the winter it gets pretty damp. Every so often I notice the same thing you're describing, oxidation and paint peeling. In my opinion, it's just cosmetic and can be fixed in an afternoon. If the bike runs good, shifts good, and looks good otherwise, I wouldn't let the blimishes on the motor be a deal breaker. Also, 7K sounds like a fair price to me, especially if that is the actual miles. Honestly, I can't believe how cheap these ElectraGlides are going for. I paid 9K for my '95 Ultra about 7 months ago, with 18,000 on the clock, and now I'm seeing some for 7,500-8K around here. Just the fact that we can buy these older dependable full dressers for a quarter to a third of what they cost new seems like a bargain to me. If they get any cheaper, I may go buy another one. lol. Honestly though, things really have changed, with the economy etc. I bought a '91 Heritage brand new, rode it for two years, and sold it in '93 for 2K more than I paid for it, but that was back during the days of waiting list. There really are some deals out there. Good luck with your purchase.

Old 01-10-2010, 01:49 PM
Doug S
Road Master
Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Did you ride it, that is what counts...

Tires, brakes, electrical, maintenance records, leaks, chrome/paint..???

Low miles but I'd suspect no preventitive maintenance simply because nobody I know who takes care of their bike's maintenance needs, lets it get to looking that bad. I'd negotiate the 7k price if the bike was clean but I'd be chopping at it in that condition. There are a ton of deals out there.

Doug

Old 01-10-2010, 02:05 PM
Moog Player
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I picked up my 95 Ultra from a dealer (Chester's) for 7030.00 this year with 50K on it. It was pristine except for leaking base gaskets. I' fixed those and have been happy since. Probably could have gotten it lower, but I'm happy. If yours has that low of milage, I would be very critical about going over it. There may be a lot of rubber parts about to give up the ghost from deterioration. Motorcycles actually deteriorate much faster if they aren't ridden. Brakes, tires, fuel components, batteries, seats cables and hoses, fuel tanks and oil bags all suffer from corrosion, rust and dry rot if not used. Offer 5K for it or keep looking for something else. JOIBO.

Old 01-11-2010, 04:52 AM
hatchetman
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Look at the drive belt up close for even wear across the lugs. You can make a soda blaster to strip the paint off the engine & re paint it with high heat paint until you do an engine job. at that time you can powder coat the engine. Find out it's service history as well as any remaining warranty.
Check the vin numbers & make sure they match.
I dont think it's a bad deal!
Nice bikes!!!
Hatch.