EVO All Evo Model Discussion

wiring insight needed

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 01:11 PM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default wiring insight needed

So with mechanical work out of the way I decided to move forward on the electrical wiring including wiring in the second relay for starter. Keep in mind this was a cop bike and previous op added the tour pack. First thing I see is extention cord coming from the tour pack joined under the seat to a bunch of other wires. What I'm aiming for is to have all the light, fender tips tour pack bag chrome lights and front running light connected to a 3 way switch on my inner fairing. Right now there is a 2 way switch on inner that controls low beam and bag chrome light. In the wiring diagram for flhtc it shows the light going to ignition lights position, my ignition switch does the same thing with light whether in ignition position or all the way to lights position.
What would be the best way to fix this, I'm dumb founded with this front end ignition switch wiring? If I could see the wires going to that switch I can follow them by hand.
I have tank and batwing removed including seat.
Note: when I removed the fender tip light wire, front running light and what I beleive to be the tour pack wire end from circuit breakers in front lights go out, but when I touch the tour pack wire to the front running light the running light comes on. By the way tour pack light are wired into the tail light and I beleive brake switch.Would this be why front running light comes on?

Old 03-25-2011, 04:37 PM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member

Update: found my flhtp supplement and seems the orange wire I was ranting about is actually from the ignition and is powered. I also compared the flhtp to the flhtc for the same year and seems the flhtp is wired differntly or at least different as far as ignition to 15 amp breakers , starter relay and 30 amp breaker is concerned. Question now is do I rewire to flhtc or flhtp wire diagram.

Old 03-25-2011, 06:09 PM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You might want to take both wiring diagrams to staples/office max type stores and have them enlarge them as much as they can or you can afford then have them laminated. This makes them really easy to see and use. Just a free tip!!

Old 03-25-2011, 07:15 PM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by miacycles
You might want to take both wiring diagrams to staples/office max type stores and have them enlarge them as much as they can or you can afford then have them laminated. This makes them really easy to see and use. Just a free tip!!
Free , I likes free. Actually John I just lay them out side by each and compare the differnce. Seems if I want to rewire the way a flhtc is I have to change a couple wires at the relay and 30 amp circuit breaker. I can't really seeing any dire effects changing the wiring. Ignition switch according to the ohm meter jives the same flhtp to flhtc.

Old 03-25-2011, 07:20 PM
K9r
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I 'm at a similar stage in my winter rebuild of my 1988 FLHTP r&r my wiring and ran it thru the frame and handlebars. followed the "P" wiring diagram plus added a circuit to handle driving lights.
Once again miacycles's advice is spot on got mine blown up to about the size of a road map and hand drew seperate charging and ignition details def, worth the time and effort.