EVO All Evo Model Discussion

HD Touring model differences?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 09:35 PM
Broncobilly72
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default HD Touring model differences?

Can someone clarify to me (an HD Newbie) the differences (options, etc.), regarding HD touring models (Road King, Road Glide, Electra Glide, Street Glide...)?
I just bought a 97 Road King in August, and know that the Road King only comes with a police style removable windshield. I know the Road Glide has dual headlights, and a different style fairing. Other than that, I don't know much about the frame differences etc., concerning HD big twin touring models. Can a Road King be made into a Street Glide, by adding a batwing fairing? I just always wondered what the differences were, as a Road King frame, appears to the novice HD guy, to be the same as the Electra Glide and others. Probably small options, like tachs etc, and electrical goodies, make up most of the differences?
I like the Evo forum the best, that's while I posted here, instead of on the Touring forum

Old 09-11-2012, 09:51 PM
1997bagger
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,697 Likes on 858 Posts

Hoppe makes a top of the line Batwing that installs in the RK detachable windshield mounts but proud of them. Memphis Shades has entered the market and better priced but don't know about quality of fitment. I also believe a company called Dragonfly entered the Batwing market but you are going to drop some coin with a Batwing, paint and stereo setups

Old 09-11-2012, 10:21 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 396 Likes on 338 Posts

OP,

you pretty much hit the nail on the head.

all touring bikes of the same year share major components; frame, drivetrain, suspension.

the difference is in how much fiberglass is hanging on it, radio, badgers, wheels and cosmetics

as above, you can add a batwing kit easy.

I have seen the memphis shades and thought it looked pretty darn good from the front- about $400 in black-

mike

Old 09-11-2012, 11:13 PM
phat96
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had one on my bike, I got it when it first came out. It held up really well and it looked like it had just been painted in black. You can see it on my profile photo's. No tunes, but it did it's job. Your choice of winshield hieght too.

Old 09-12-2012, 04:27 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,854 Likes on 2,420 Posts

Bronco, you've pretty well answered your own question! My old lady started out life looking similar to a RK (which hadn't been invented back in 1990) but I have added to it over the years. It is feasible to make any Touring bike into a different version, with patience and plenty of dough! It's also easier to do it with parts from that model period.

Old 09-12-2012, 09:27 PM
Broncobilly72
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks all for the input on my HD touring model differences! I figured they were pretty much all the same, except for differences in fiberglass and options etc. I even saw a touring bike a few weeks ago (had a Road Glide fairing), which said 'Pimp Glide' on the front fender sides. It had what appeared to be 22" billet rims. The rims were retardly large! Who knows, maby the motor co came out with a new touring model : (

Old 09-12-2012, 11:31 PM
Mountainkowboy
Grand HDF Member
Received 971 Likes on 527 Posts

Depending on the year you can set the bike up for different options. Ester has 3 looks. They all have there pros and cons, but its like having 3 different bikes. I can change styles in about an hour.

Stripped

Local Touring

and

Looong Distance

Old 09-12-2012, 11:51 PM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

The Batwing offers gauges and a radio which is liked by the owners. The Road Glide offers the same features but has storage up front. Too each their own, advantage and disadvantages to both. Both sit 1" lower due to rear shocks than the other touring bikes.

After that it's chrome, tourpak, and extras on the EGs.

Road King is the most "stripped' of both.

Old 09-13-2012, 12:59 AM
Peggers
Advanced
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

"Hoppe makes a top of the line Batwing...... Memphis Shades has entered the market..... Dragonfly entered the Batwing market but you are going to drop some coin with a Batwing, paint and stereo setups"

Hey BroncoBilly,

In an attempt to save some of the coin mentioned above, I bought a Tsukayu fairing for my Yamaha Roadstar, with 6x9 speakers and the whole GPS/DVD/MP3/USB/Radio setup. A big mistake. Don't be tempted by the cheap price: the fit was literally DIY, and the head unit gave up working in GPS (I paid for another and the same thing) after two weeks, and the speakers shook themselves to pieces.
After dropping a bundle on fairing, hard bags, klicktronic, bag rails and a host of other stuff, I sold the bike in disgust with the fairing, and chalked that up to experience.

The upside is that I have a nice (4000km) '98 Electra-Glide Classic on the way, and spend enjoyable hours on here, learning what is possible with these bikes. Stick around and trawl through the archives - it's an education! One that can saved you time and $$!

Regards,

Peggers

Old 09-13-2012, 12:01 PM
Bleachey
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are several different aftermarket fairing, as mentioned above. Do your research, quality does matter. A friend of mine paid about $800 for one and another $200 to have it painted to match. It is "quick release", but has a kick *** stereo in it. He can take it off in about 30 seconds, and either ride free or put the original quick release windshield back on it, both the windshield and fairing use the same brackets. I've never seen him ride with anything but the fairing though. Another friend added a fairing to her Fat Boy, and it has an even better stereo. I think she dropped about $1400 total.

Quick Reply: HD Touring model differences?