Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Shovster question.

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 02:03 PM
EBOMB
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shovster question.

Hey HDF,
I have a 72 iron head shovster. I recently got rid of the bendex carb and upgraded to the S&S shorty E. I was wondering what size jet would be the best size main jet to have in this carb on this engine. sounds good while idling and when reved up but when I get out and try n put into 2nd it starts sputtering. I think it may be a short around the coil but I want to make sure I have the right size jet in there as well. Thanks for any input,
E

Old 04-11-2010, 03:35 PM
drjones
Cruiser

If you have drag pipes, or strait pipes, it is probably reversion. Stick a bolt through the end of the pipe and secure it with a nut. The bolt should be about 1 1/2" long, 1/4" diameter. If it is reversion, it will help. Good luck, TJ

Old 04-12-2010, 05:18 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

..............and stack 5/16" nuts on those bolts as well, and nut it with the 1/4" nut.
Scott

Sales/Support 315-495-6650
www.hillsidecycle.com
Walk-in Retail Showroom
Complete H-D Machine Shop
Case & cylinder boring
Complete Cylinder Head Shop
High-Performance Engine Kits
Crank Rebuilding
Direct Link & PowerVision Tuning
Goodson HD Tooling Manufacturer
Maxton Mile World Record
4500 sq ft. facility

OVER 35 YEARS OF H-D ENGINE BUILDING.
See us on Facebook.
Old 04-12-2010, 06:03 AM
jaqmes
Cruiser

I assume the bike has a points ing. sounds like the gap is closing up you may want to check them.

Old 04-12-2010, 11:05 AM
EBOMB
6th Gear

Originally Posted by jaqmes
I assume the bike has a points ing. sounds like the gap is closing up you may want to check them.
I just adjusted the timing befor posting here on the forums and it actually sounded better. I will give the pipes the bolt you guys are talking about. thing is, it ran great one day, I took it for a ride ran great down the highway, put it away until the next day where I decided I was going to take it for my well deserved ride. when I got about 10 miles down the road on the second day it started shorting out on me on the road. My friends Dad (ol biker) pointed out my short real quick( I call it cyborg biker eye, guy scanned my bike once and found the wire that was a problem in like less the 10 seconds). well needless to say this caused I ton of other work that I found was a problem that needed to be fixed. so I guess my point to this mornings ramble is...I still think its just a short when it comes to the sputtering because it worked great befor, but I'm still going to install those bolts because it sounds like it couldnt hurt.
Thanks guys!

Old 04-12-2010, 06:26 PM
skyhook
Tourer

i don't have anything of value to add to the thread except...man, that's a cool bike

haven't heard the word shovster in 20 years

what is the bore and stroke?

Last edited by skyhook; 04-12-2010 at 06:29 PM.
Old 04-12-2010, 07:29 PM
EBOMB
6th Gear

wish I knew. I'm still learning about harleys in general. its cool seeing parts from your model bike and his model bike all on my bike. the tech stuff just went over my head when I first got it. luckily I have a friend who was there from the beginning on the bike and remembers all that stuff. I will try n hit him up. I know the springer forks are original denvers choppers, the rear wheel was originally a porsche rim, frame has been stretched and raked (dont know the brand of frame)and the rear tail light is custom hand blown glass with a harley logo in it done by myself. honostly I'm sure some of you guys know more about it then I do. I'm still learnin.

Old 04-15-2010, 12:20 PM
EBOMB
6th Gear

Originally Posted by drjones
If you have drag pipes, or strait pipes, it is probably reversion. Stick a bolt through the end of the pipe and secure it with a nut. The bolt should be about 1 1/2" long, 1/4" diameter. If it is reversion, it will help. Good luck, TJ
so I was looking at my bike this morning thinking about where to place those bolts when I came to this question.
I have had this bike up and runnin befor, hand ful of trips(vegas to laughlin and back, local toy runs etc) and never had a problem with revertion. would the new carb cause that or not because I dont know why it would all of the sudden start reverting....what do you think?

Old 07-14-2010, 10:57 PM
EBOMB
6th Gear

bit the bullet and took her to the local bike shop and had someone who know what their doin dial her in. got it back couple weeks ago and she's runnin sweeet.