Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

2001 Fatboy FLSTFI Crank Position Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 01:03 PM
ilikesta
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yep, pulled it out at lunch, replace with the new one, let it idle at home for 20 mins, got good and warm, rode about 2 miles, ran and sounded good, got 1 block from work and sputter sputter sputter.....i am at my wits end

Old 09-08-2011, 04:35 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,499 Posts

Originally Posted by ilikesta
yep, pulled it out at lunch, replace with the new one, let it idle at home for 20 mins, got good and warm, rode about 2 miles, ran and sounded good, got 1 block from work and sputter sputter sputter.....i am at my wits end
Sorry to hear that. I am assuming that you have checked all wiring connections, coil, etc. Is the bike an EFI bike or carbed? Should have asked that a long time ago. Could be the ECM going bad?? If you have an buddy that can lend you his ECM, swap them out and see what happens. Check all ground connections and the connections at the main circuit breaker.

Could it be a fuel delivery problem, i.e., pinhole in line from fuel pump to pet ****? Have you checked the fuel tank vent line to make sure it is open? What about the seal at the fuel tank filler cap; is it intact?

Just throwing stuff at the wall now.

Old 09-29-2011, 03:12 AM
ilikesta
3rd Gear

I think the problem is solved. I sprayed some carb cleaner up into the IAC, blew it out with some air, waited a bit and started it up. It sputtered a little bit but the second it was cleared out it sounded like an entirely different bike. Just took a long middle of the night ride and it did not sputter one time. Easy fix, just didnt think about it cuz its fuel injected

Old 09-29-2011, 09:57 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,499 Posts

Originally Posted by ilikesta
I think the problem is solved. I sprayed some carb cleaner up into the IAC, blew it out with some air, waited a bit and started it up. It sputtered a little bit but the second it was cleared out it sounded like an entirely different bike. Just took a long middle of the night ride and it did not sputter one time. Easy fix, just didnt think about it cuz its fuel injected
Good news; should have thought about the IAC, would have saved you the cost of a new CPS. Always a good feeling to find a simple fix for an annoying problem.

Old 10-10-2012, 04:51 PM
kuahiwi
Tourer

This happened to me today..at least I think that's the problem..at first I deduced that it must be the coil, so I went to a local shop to order a coil and as the guy is getting online to order the part, he asked if we'd checked the crank sensor..the answer was NO..(I didn't even know such an animal)..he told me he'd probably replaced 2000 or so sensors and maybe two coils..he doubted seriously that it was the coil..so I ran down to the HD store and bought one..replacing it tomorrow..hope it solves my dead Harley problem..