Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Screaming Eagle Heads 96ci

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 05:59 AM
Fierofly
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Screaming Eagle Heads 96ci

Which heads would work the best on a stock compression 2011 96ci ? Will a 110ci head fit? How many different styles are available ? I've dabbled alittle with port matching and smoothing heads on Small block Chevys in the past. I'd like to buy a set of used heads on E-Bay to play with. Any feedback welcome.

Old 02-08-2012, 06:06 AM
JustDave71
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

why not just have your OEM heads worked over? Any number of shops out there can do a job that is well worth the money.

Don't want the down time? Grab a set of OEM heads and have those done, then sell your stock setup after installing?

Old 02-08-2012, 07:13 AM
stng_96
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys Id like to know about this too, a buddy of mine who has had a hand in some sbc porting, and some atv head porting offered to do the work on a set of mine for free, so like the OP said, would that be worth it, or a waste compared to the bigger shops?

Old 02-08-2012, 08:25 AM
Fierofly
Tourer

A lot of Heads available on E-bay CHEAP, to play with. Not sure which ones are worth the effort. Yep, don't want the down time of sending or doing my heads. I like to learn and do things myself.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:53 AM
Gringoloco13
Road Master

Originally Posted by Fierofly
A lot of Heads available on E-bay CHEAP, to play with. Not sure which ones are worth the effort. Yep, don't want the down time of sending or doing my heads. I like to learn and do things myself.
Porting heads is a differant ball game than porting out an O2 housing, manifolds, etc. Anytime you port a head you need to flow bench test to ensure you have gained anything and ported properly. So you will need stock numbers and after the port numbers. Any shop I have ever had rework any heads of mine I specifically asked first if they provide these numbers to back up their work. I can port very well and have done many parts over the years from n/a to turbo setups. But heads I leave to the shops that have the proper testing stations to ensure the port is gaining something. Also just a side note, if you are going to work the heads you should match the work with aftermarket cams and dyno tune the bike to get your performance gains. Just my

Old 02-08-2012, 09:14 AM
Fierofly
Tourer

Ok, Maybe I should explain my intent. I will clean up any casting marks, polish exhaust ports, match gaskets, install thinner head gasket on heads that are supposed to already flow better then stock. My queation is what heads are they and are all heads the same bolt pattern like will a 110 fit on a 96 or an 88?

Old 02-08-2012, 09:52 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,499 Posts

All H-D heads have the same bolt pattern but chamber design/shape/volume are different. A TC96 head has a bath tub chamber and measures 85cc-86cc while a 110" head has an oval chamber and measures 95cc; completely different animals.

Porting a Harley head is completely different from porting a SBC head; again different animals.

If you are looking for a set of heads to clean up, maybe some bowl blending and intake and exhaust port matching to manifolds, you should be looking for a set or TC96 take offs. The earlier TC88 heads require much more real porting work than the TC96s; the TC96s flow better out of the box.

Best leave the porting to the pros. JMHO.

Old 02-08-2012, 06:59 PM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

Port H-D castings is a craft, that comes from yeeeeeeeeeeeears of work, and as already said, a flowbench is an absolute must. No way can that work can be performed correctly, without one.
We'd have lived on ours, for over 15 years now.
The 110" heads on a 95", or 98"er will more than likely, suck all the low end, off the power curve.
We have, however seen the 110" heads, once reworked, push off 129 hp, flat-lining 120 ft/lbs, with a Wood 8 cam, on top of 107"ers.
Scott

Sales/Support 315-495-6650
www.hillsidecycle.com
Walk-in Retail Showroom
Complete H-D Machine Shop
Case & cylinder boring
Complete Cylinder Head Shop
High-Performance Engine Kits
Crank Rebuilding
Direct Link & PowerVision Tuning
Goodson HD Tooling Manufacturer
Maxton Mile World Record
4500 sq ft. facility

OVER 35 YEARS OF H-D ENGINE BUILDING.
See us on Facebook.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:41 PM
NDMECH
Intermediate

Dont use 110 heads on a 96 inch motor the intake valve is way to large you will let in lots of air with the same amount of fuel. I have been porting and polishing harley heads for some time now. I am by NO means an expert but I have not seen gains useing that combo as of yet. I own my own flow bench so I do know how to match my ports ans measure them to ensure that. I believe that the extra large ports and intake valve in 110 cylinder heads cause you to lose velocity there by lowering your volumetric effieceny. In short you will either break even on power or lose power changes cylinders may not be hard but it is a fair amount of work to complete to gain little too nothing. That being said when I port and polish a persons stock cylinder heads the smallest gain of power thus far has been 15 hp and 12 ft/lbs of course cams, exhaust, intake, CID all play into it

Old 03-21-2012, 08:44 PM
NDMECH
Intermediate

Gringoloco you are one of the few I have seen thats knows what a flow bench is good on ya port matching and overall measurements are key

Quick Reply: Screaming Eagle Heads 96ci