Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Engine upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 07:11 AM
streetg131
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Forgot to mention Dragos Bikeworks, another excellent choice.

Old 03-04-2012, 08:38 AM
lkr0
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

contact info for Keven Baxter http://protwin.com/index.aspx

Originally Posted by dmulkey
I have a 2004 Electra Glide Classic that I had upgraded a few years ago. HD did the upgrade and installed race tuner, Screaming Eagle heads, 251 cam, and more. I already had Rhinehart duel exhaust. I still do not feel like I'm getting everything that I should from the engine and on top of that has much more top noise than before. I would like to quiten it down some (top end) and upgrade to maybe a 103, 107 or 110. I want more take off and top end speed & power. Any suggestions? Also any suggestions on a good "motor" guy around or close to Atlanta or Cumming, Swannee, Georgia area that I could get to do the work?

Old 03-04-2012, 10:45 AM
harley_jeff
Road Master
Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Looking for the most, for the least, best option.
Good luck with the least dollars part.

If you want to performance the engine some more you are looking at P&P on the heads, new pistons, cams and all components chosen to get you to the right corrected compression as a system. You are also looking at a new, larger throttle body, roller rockers, higher performance tappets, adjustable pushrods, etc., then a re-tune.

Your bike is an '04, so it has not been stroked. You may think about taking the bottom end apart, installing the stroker crankshaft then you can achieve 103" or 107". While you have the bottom end apart do the timken LH main bearing mod.

So, all of that should add up to about $6K - $7K. Now you are in the neighborhood of a crate motor. How about a S&S 124"? That is why I asked how much do you want to spend.

Since you have all of that torn apart, let's go ahead and install the 6 speed tranny. Do you see what I mean - there is no end to what you can do. Oh yeah, we are going to need to address the clutch, too. While we are at, we should probably install an oil cooler.

Last edited by harley_jeff; 03-04-2012 at 10:51 AM.
Old 03-04-2012, 12:57 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,030 Likes on 1,498 Posts

I have a 2004 Electra Glide Classic that I had upgraded a few years ago. HD did the upgrade and installed race tuner, Screaming Eagle heads, 251 cam, and more. I already had Rhinehart duel exhaust. I still do not feel like I'm getting everything that I should from the engine and on top of that has much more top noise than before. I would like to quiten it down some (top end) and upgrade to maybe a 103, 107 or 110. I want more take off and top end speed & power. Any suggestions?
The budget question is fair and one you have to think about. You cannot increase displacement of the 88" engined beyond 98" without removing the lower unit to bore the cases for larger pistons and/or install a 4.375" crank. Do both and you could go as larges as 117", but, as previously posted, the cost for all that is going to put you close to the cost of a 120R crate motor; a step change.

So basically, you have three routes you can go; bore your cylinder to fit new pistons for 95" or 98" displacement, work the heads, new cams, valve train and re-tune. A combination of components that play well together and about $2500 later, you should be happy.

The second route is spending more money to go bigger, i.e., lower unit work; Lefty main bearing; new crank, trued, balanced and welded; new cylinders/pistons, headwork, cams, valve train, etc. and about $5-$6K later, you're done.

The third route is the crate motor route. H-D 120R is the best crate motor deal going now; some discount dealers are selling them for under $5000.

So, how much do you want to spend? IMHO, you can achieve your goal following through Door #1.

Old 03-04-2012, 04:40 PM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

By the time folks get their arms around a 120R, with t/body, by rights roller rockers, GOOD pipe, clutch enhancement, labor, f/f/plugs, your well over 7 large.
Scott

Sales/Support 315-495-6650
www.hillsidecycle.com
Walk-in Retail Showroom
Complete H-D Machine Shop
Case & cylinder boring
Complete Cylinder Head Shop
High-Performance Engine Kits
Crank Rebuilding
Direct Link & PowerVision Tuning
Goodson HD Tooling Manufacturer
Maxton Mile World Record
4500 sq ft. facility

OVER 35 YEARS OF H-D ENGINE BUILDING.
See us on Facebook.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:27 PM
streetg131
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A couple years ago you did some work and your already looking for more. Of course budget will dictate how far you can go, with this said, build the biggest baddest motor you can, whether it's a build or a crate because the bug will hit you again.

Old 03-05-2012, 04:19 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

I have a 2004 Electra Glide Classic that I had upgraded a few years ago. HD did the upgrade and installed race tuner, Screaming Eagle heads, 251 cam, and more. I already had Rhinehart duel exhaust. I still do not feel like I'm getting everything that I should from the engine and on top of that has much more top noise than before. I would like to quiten it down some (top end) and upgrade to maybe a 103, 107 or 110. I want more take off and top end speed & power. Any suggestions? Also any suggestions on a good "motor" guy around or close to Atlanta or Cumming, Swannee, Georgia area that I could get to do the work?
About 3 hours up the road in Americus, GA is Star Racing. Give them a call as well. NO ONE will know more how to make power/speed than they will, if thats what you are after. A G2 126" will give even the fast guys on the road fits.

Old 03-05-2012, 04:35 PM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Is it running a canned map or did you get it dyno tuned.
If it's a canned map I will bet some tuning will turn out a few extra hp and torque.
Remote tuning isn't perfect because each bike is different. My mustang ran a canned map from sct which equalled 266rwhp and 302ft/lbs torque.
I got it dynotuned and got 280 and 325 ft/lbs torque.
That is power you can feel. And cost me 3 hours dyno time.
Try a dyno tune unless you really want to throw money at it. The S&S 124 is a bad boy for sure

Old 03-05-2012, 07:26 PM
lkr0
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

absolutely the G square -126 is no joke, neither is the price; but for $5400 you can get a S&S 111 with a three year warranty for Star racing as well
Originally Posted by qtrracer
About 3 hours up the road in Americus, GA is Star Racing. Give them a call as well. NO ONE will know more how to make power/speed than they will, if thats what you are after. A G2 126" will give even the fast guys on the road fits.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:21 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by lkr0
absolutely the G square -126 is no joke, neither is the price; but for $5400 you can get a S&S 111 with a three year warranty for Star racing as well
Star does have that T111 yes. I just gave him a shop's info that is kinda close to his house, as he was asking for. If he is considering an engine swap and wants REAL power, not just playing around, the the 126 is the only real answer in my mind. But as you stated his budget and his desire for power(and his ability to handle it) should be his guide.

Quick Reply: Engine upgrade