Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

TW-222 cams installed

Old 02-27-2013, 07:22 AM
jl207299
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default TW-222 cams installed

Finally got around to my winter work last weekend.
Installed tw-222 cams with the Fuel Moto package: adjustable pushrods, gaskets, bearings and the map Jamie sent me.
Very happy with everything. Made the bike exactly what I wanted. The power, exhaust sound, smoothness of the engine, quiet valvetrain are all remarkable.
The map that FM provided was, as everyone always comments on, spot on.
I used a cam bearing puller/installer I bought off Ebay from a guy that makes them in Ohio and it worked wonderfully. I was pretty impressed considering the level of precision it takes to get a tool like that to fit and function as it should.
As for Fuel Moto, great products and customer service as is their trademark.
I plan on finding a reputable dyno station around here this weekend and having the bike dynoed just to see what numbers I'm pulling. I'm not messing with the tune FM provided, just want numbers to see how the bike compares with the bikes FM has dynoed in house.

Here's a vid of the results:

Old 02-27-2013, 07:37 AM
Weevil
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 4 Posts

Keep us posted on your impressions of those 222's. Curious as to how far they'll carry out before they start dropping off. Great looking touring cam.

As far as tuners go, not sure where in NC you are. But I'll go out and recommend Ray Price Harley Davidson. Pretty sure it still $250 for a custom tune. I think both Kendall Johnson and TMan only dyno their builds. Could be wrong about that. If your just looking at a couple of runs to check out numbers, I'd give Twin Performance Tuners in Garner a call. http://twinperftuners.com/

Not far from Locked and Loaded Grill either (Twin Performance Tuners that is).

Last edited by Weevil; 02-27-2013 at 05:30 PM.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:43 AM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Bike looks and sounds great! Surely you will still do some Autotunes with the PV? Pretty easy doing this mod yourself? Fuel Moto provide good instructions?

Old 02-27-2013, 11:19 AM
jl207299
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Weevil
Keep us posted on your impressions of those 222's. Curious as to how far they'll carry out before they start dropping off. Great looking touring cam.

As far as tuners go, not sure where in NC you are. But I'll go out and recommend Ray Price Harley Davidson. Pretty sure it still $250 for a custom tune. I think both Kendall Johnson and TMan only dyno their builds. Could be wrong about that. If your just looking at a couple of runs to check out numbers, I'd give Twin Performance Tuners in Garner a call. http://twinperftuners.com/

Not far from Locked and Loaded Grill either.
That's great information. Thank you. I've been looking for a place to dyno and tune bikes for awhile. I'm in the Fayetteville area and most the guys around here give me the impression that they don't really want business. If I ask them for something, they try to talk me into something else. I'm not going to spend my money where I get the feeling I'm an inconvenience. I've been to Ray Price a number of times but they only want to install Screamin Eagle parts and the last guy I talked to wanted me to buy a PCV though I already have a Power Vision. Don't get me wrong, he was nice and professional, but it just gave me a strange vibe. I'll check out the place in Garner. I just want a few dyno pulls to check numbers. I'm sure it runs great, I'm just curious.
I know many people will get into the science of it and explain temp, altitude, etc and a custom tune is always best but the Fuel Moto tune really runs well. Unless I have good reason to change it I won't. If its fairly inexpensive, sure, I'll let another tuner load a custom map into my Power Vision and then I can have the option to switch back and forth and experiement.
Thanks again for the great info. Back to that thing we call work...

Old 02-27-2013, 11:22 AM
jl207299
Cruiser

Originally Posted by alansummrs
Bike looks and sounds great! Surely you will still do some Autotunes with the PV? Pretty easy doing this mod yourself? Fuel Moto provide good instructions?
Thanks pal. Fuel Moto has many videos on youtube. If you watch all of them over and over you'll have more than enough informal training. Add a little experience and the right tools and you could be a regular do it yourself-er. Check out Fuel Moto's vids on YouTube, I'd also suggest S&S videos. Pretty informative, especially on rather straightforward procedures like this. That and a service manual, and enough beer, and the sky's the limit.

Last edited by jl207299; 02-28-2013 at 08:07 PM. Reason: I can't spell after half a beer apparently
Old 02-28-2013, 08:18 PM
jl207299
Cruiser

As for impressions of the TW-222's, I have about 2 hours logged on them after install and during the last couple of days to and from work.
Now, I'm not a pro drag rider, I don't race, that's not my vantage point when I make these observations. I preface my comments like this because in the few years I've read on forums like this I've seen some people really get wound up over opinions and I just don't think I'd sleep well if someone read my comments about how great my bike is running and that in some way affects their well-being because their opinion of how a bike should run is different than mine. On second hand, I'll probably sleep OK so here goes nothing...
It runs like a raped ape. It feels great. Riding two up feels like what running solo used to feel like. On the way home last night I had a little fun, keeping in mind I'm not a drag racer here folks, but wound it up to about 5k in 3rd, about 80mph, and it pulled hard the whole way, especially hard from 2200-5000. When the Bob Wood website says this cam is designed to pull hard from idle to 6k with stock heads and compression, I think that's a fair assessment.
Now, should you expect it to pull like some more aggressive cams with head work and increased compression? Should you expect it to smoke 120R? Likely no, but it runs very well and the T-222's do as I hoped. They took a factory 103 that I wanted to pep up a little, without spending more on headwork and TB porting and so forth and increased perormance across the entire powerband.
I plan on getting a dyno pull soon and when I do I'll be sure to share the results and numbers with everyone to give the more analytical numbers to bounce off my personal impression.

Edit: I also wanted to share my impression on how I can physically feel the engine is running cooler. Now, I don't have stats, but I can feel less heat coming off this motor. One of the claims was that the cams would drop the temp, I believe it has. Again, not using the scientific method on this, meerly the nerves which usually work in my legs, but that's how it seems.
No complaints so far and if I had any, I'd work it through Fuel Moto first as my impressions on their customer service are nothing short of completely satisfied.

Last edited by jl207299; 02-28-2013 at 08:24 PM.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:00 PM
marknett
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jl207299
As for impressions of the TW-222's, I have about 2 hours logged on them after install and during the last couple of days to and from work.
Now, I'm not a pro drag rider, I don't race, that's not my vantage point when I make these observations. I preface my comments like this because in the few years I've read on forums like this I've seen some people really get wound up over opinions and I just don't think I'd sleep well if someone read my comments about how great my bike is running and that in some way affects their well-being because their opinion of how a bike should run is different than mine. On second hand, I'll probably sleep OK so here goes nothing...
It runs like a raped ape. It feels great. Riding two up feels like what running solo used to feel like. On the way home last night I had a little fun, keeping in mind I'm not a drag racer here folks, but wound it up to about 5k in 3rd, about 80mph, and it pulled hard the whole way, especially hard from 2200-5000. When the Bob Wood website says this cam is designed to pull hard from idle to 6k with stock heads and compression, I think that's a fair assessment.
Now, should you expect it to pull like some more aggressive cams with head work and increased compression? Should you expect it to smoke 120R? Likely no, but it runs very well and the T-222's do as I hoped. They took a factory 103 that I wanted to pep up a little, without spending more on headwork and TB porting and so forth and increased perormance across the entire powerband.
I plan on getting a dyno pull soon and when I do I'll be sure to share the results and numbers with everyone to give the more analytical numbers to bounce off my personal impression.

Edit: I also wanted to share my impression on how I can physically feel the engine is running cooler. Now, I don't have stats, but I can feel less heat coming off this motor. One of the claims was that the cams would drop the temp, I believe it has. Again, not using the scientific method on this, meerly the nerves which usually work in my legs, but that's how it seems.
No complaints so far and if I had any, I'd work it through Fuel Moto first as my impressions on their customer service are nothing short of completely satisfied.
If you have the power vision mounted on the bike you can set up one of the guage layouts with et (engine temp) THIS A DIRECT READING FROM THE HEAD IN REAL TIME. I love the guage functions and where it says basic change to advanced anf you will get even more things to add to guages

Old 02-28-2013, 09:14 PM
jl207299
Cruiser

Originally Posted by marknett
If you have the power vision mounted on the bike you can set up one of the guage layouts with et (engine temp) THIS A DIRECT READING FROM THE HEAD IN REAL TIME. I love the guage functions and where it says basic change to advanced anf you will get even more things to add to guages
Good suggestion. I have a power vision, I just don't have it mounted and don't pull info like that in real time. If I get around to getting a mount for it I might look into various parameters.
For now, it runs great!

Old 03-01-2013, 09:51 AM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Nice write up, motivating me to do the same someday. Working on my handling/forks now, but will have this on my wish list!

Old 03-08-2013, 12:14 PM
jl207299
Cruiser
Default This morning's dyno

This morning I had my bike dynoed after the TW-222 install. Results are shown over one of their recent 103 stock runs to show +/- the general results, given my bike wasn't dynoed before the cams and a year or so ago before I added the Vance and Hines Power Duals and Hi-Output exhaust with FM A/C.
I know the numbers are lower, but if you notice, the numbers from this dyno are consistently lower across the board, even if you compare stock 103 runs between this graph and the others posted by FM among others on this board. Numbers are consistently about 5hp and 10tq lower, adjusting for that, the results seem to be more or less what Fuel Moto advertised, approx. ~20hp/20tq. gains.
The tuner that did the run has a good reputation here and he told me the Fuel Moto map was spot on and he couldn't find room for improvement.

Attached Thumbnails TW-222 cams installed-12flhx_103_tw-222_dyno-name-edited-.jpg  

Last edited by jl207299; 03-08-2013 at 03:42 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: TW-222 cams installed