Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Engine Rattle / noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 08:16 AM
strongwood
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow Engine Rattle / noise

Hello all

I have been fighting what I call a "rattle" or vibration noise on my 99 Twin Cam

The noise is coming from the left side and sounds external but I have removed anything I could and secured everything else...including the kick stand.

When I could not find any problem, it was mentioned to me that there could be an issue with the rotor or stator (no problems charging)

I removed the entire primary because I wanted to replace the starter seal and shift seal along with the inner primary seal anyway.

As I removed and inspected everything, I found absolutely no problems. The chain is in good shape and the chain tensioner looks good. I adjusted the chain to have 5/8 inch slack old like the book says. (also did this last year)

I reassembled everything and when I fired it up, the noise was still there as loud as ever.

I put a stethoscope all over the motor and believe I hear something in the front head when it rattles. This rattle is most noticeable at about 2500 RPM's gets quieter above and below that RPM.

My local Indy rode the bike and he looked at the exhaust pipe and he thinks I have a loose valve guide. (pipe has some oily residue)

Sooo, last night I removed the heads to take them in to be checked and a valve job. (motor only has 27K on it)

I hope I find this noise, it seems to be getting louder.
BTW, this rattle started last year as an annoyance but has gotten louder this spring.

I checked for a wrist pin by listening to the cyl with the probe and they were all quiet, just the front head making "some" noise that was not heard anywhere else.

Anyone ever had this issue?...loose valve guide
I am going nuts.....and am an experienced mechanic...but this is my first endeavor with a Harley engine.

Lastly, it is not my cam chain tensioners,, I replace them last year and checked them again this past winter when I installed a 510 cam.....again the rattle was there last year before the cam change)

I do everything by the manual and confirm what I am / have done with a Harley mechanic.

Thanks in advance for any assistance
Dan

Old 06-01-2013, 06:45 PM
mikeo33y
Road Warrior
Received 114 Likes on 69 Posts

have same issue on my 08 fat bob. dosnt do it all the time. weird. bike runs great. 16k miles on it. sounds like comin from front of the engine frame cradle down low. At first thought primary area but then relized comin more towards the front of engine. Only thing i could find was a kinda striped and loose front heat shield clamp. gotta try to replace that.

Old 06-02-2013, 10:37 AM
strongwood
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PM sent

Old 06-02-2013, 10:46 AM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Its your tank bolts...tighten up with a wrench