Flathead A place to talk about Flathead motors.

Barn-Fresh WL

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 05:03 PM
WLratbike
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Barn-Fresh WL

Two years ago:

Mostly complete, unsure of why it was partially disassembled, but its relatively rust-free and came with a restoration manual.

The bike belonged to my wife's grandfather and I decided to keep all of the 'character' intact.

Attached Thumbnails Barn-Fresh WL-harley_1-medium-.jpg  

Last edited by WLratbike; 04-29-2012 at 05:07 PM.
Old 04-29-2012, 05:17 PM
WLratbike
3rd Gear

The bike has been off the road since the 70s, so needless to say: the tires and tubes got replaced due to dry-rot. A new coil, wires, and spark plug were installed as well as a front intake cam. The rear headgasket was blown (common problem on these engines) so it got replaced with a new copper gasket. The rear needed new brake shoes and while I was replacing them, I noticed the backing plate was cracking where the pivot bolt went through. I deemed it fit to weld it into one solid unit as a fix.

Attached Thumbnails Barn-Fresh WL-head-gasket.jpg   Barn-Fresh WL-front-intake-cam.jpg   Barn-Fresh WL-rear-brake-bracket.jpg  
Old 04-29-2012, 07:58 PM
Captain Itch
Sponsor
Received 601 Likes on 324 Posts

Looks like a nice project..I f you run in to some major stumbles let me know.Myself and a couple of buds can find a lot of things still for the 45s.I had to pull my generator today for a little TLC..JUST TAKE YOUR TIME THESE OLD BIKES WILL TEACH YOU PATIENCE.. Here is my 49..Good Luck.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:10 PM
WLratbike
3rd Gear

Nice bike there Captain!

Old 04-30-2012, 08:14 PM
WLratbike
3rd Gear

Fixed a couple leaks in the gas tank and rebuilt the carb and got it running. I built a seat bar from scratch to mount the repop buddy seat (ill see if I have a photo). The speedo drive gear and speedo cable were missing, so I got some new ones too.

Attached Thumbnails Barn-Fresh WL-dscn0470-medium-.jpg  
Old 05-01-2012, 09:05 PM
WLratbike
3rd Gear

I encountered my first major setback after a couple of test rides. I noticed the rear drum/sprocket assembly was loose where it attached to the wheel hub. I went to torque it down only to find that one of the bolt holes was stripped out. I pulled the drum assembly from the wheel only to find that not only were the alignment pin holes all 'egged out' the pins themselves were missing.

Attached Thumbnails Barn-Fresh WL-dscn0549-medium-.jpg  
Old 05-01-2012, 09:12 PM
WLratbike
3rd Gear

To avoid buying a new drum assembly and hub assembly (and having the wheel laced) I have come up with a solution that I hope works. The first step involves drilling out the 5 original bolt holes and tapping them 7/16-20 and using oversize bolts. The next step is to drill out the alignment pin holes and tap them 7/16"-20 as well for socket head cap screws. The new '10-bolt' setup will give me over twice as much clamping power than the original '5-bolt' setup, hopefully remedying the problem.

The alignment pins working loose damaged the mating surface on the drum, so I chucked it up in my lathe and resurfaced it.

The drum coming loose chewed up my speedo drive gear pretty badly, so I'll probably need a new one of those...again

Attached Thumbnails Barn-Fresh WL-dscn0550-medium-.jpg  
Old 05-01-2012, 09:18 PM
1CdnHD
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm diggin it... nice work.

Old 05-04-2012, 06:42 PM
WLratbike
3rd Gear

The oversize bolts came in today, so I reassembled the drum to the hub with some red thread locker and hit the conical bolts with a torque wrench and torqued the new bolts as tight as I could with my hex key cut to fit in between the hubs. I'll give it 24 hours to fully cure (hoping for the best odds of success here) and take it for a test ride tomorrow.

On another note: will I burn out any electronics or do any damage if I run the headlight constantly?

Attached Thumbnails Barn-Fresh WL-dscn0551-medium-.jpg  

Last edited by WLratbike; 05-04-2012 at 06:58 PM.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:30 PM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,212 Likes on 1,481 Posts

Originally Posted by WLratbike
The oversize bolts came in today, so I reassembled the drum to the hub with some red thread locker and hit the conical bolts with a torque wrench and torqued the new bolts as tight as I could with my hex key cut to fit in between the hubs. I'll give it 24 hours to fully cure (hoping for the best odds of success here) and take it for a test ride tomorrow.

On another note: will I burn out any electronics or do any damage if I run the headlight constantly?
If you have the 3 brush 6 volt you will need to adjust the 3rd brush to accommodate this

Quick Reply: Barn-Fresh WL