Flathead A place to talk about Flathead motors.

New Old Flathead

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 08:34 AM
Flathead Butch
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Old Flathead

Hi All,

New guy here with a 'new' old flathead, a civilianized 42 WLA. It's being shipped and will arrive at the end of June. I'm a little nervous about driving a bike with a foot clutch/tank shift. Any and all advice would be appreciated. Also, does Autozone/Advance/NAPA carry nondetergent 50 wt? I have a reprint service manual so I'm gaining knowledge daily, but I would appreciate any advice. This is not a super busy forum but I know from reading past posts that many of you are avid flathead fanatics. I'll have some questions in the future and hope enough people check the forum to get some input. Pictures as soon as she arrives! Thanks.

FB

Old 06-13-2012, 04:40 PM
busterman2
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a servicar and I get 50 wt oil at the Harley dealer.

Old 06-17-2012, 02:55 AM
Hopper
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You dont want to run non-detergent oil. Engine will sludge up. That is why they dont make it any more, that I know of.
+1 on run straight 50 oil from local Harley dealer. It is same price as getting 50W elsewhere, so why not?

Getting used to foot clutch and hand shift : find a quiet open place for first ride and first up practice puttering around in first gear, stopping and starting etc until you get a feel for how the clutch engages, then work up to shifting into second and then up and down between first and second. It does not take long to get used to it. Then third - be prepared for the big gap between second and third, so have plenty of revs in second before shifting.

Old 06-20-2012, 06:40 AM
Flathead Butch
3rd Gear

Thanks for the replies, but now I'm confused. I thought it was necessary to run NON-detergent 50 or 60 wt oil. So it's ok to run detergent 50 wt from the local HD dealer? I'm hoping the engine is pretty clean since it has been rebuilt by a 45 expert a few years ago and evidently not ridden too much. I'll know a bit more when it gets here. The fellow I bought it from has an excellent reputation for finding and selling good rebuilt flatheads. I hope I'm coordinated enough to ride the thing, just a bit worried about dropping it or grabbing the left hand front brake like its a clutch. I live in a somewhat rural area so traffic won't be a problem. Sorry if I'm boring everyone but I've been looking for a decent "rider" for some years now. Don't really care if it has repo parts, it still has a cool factor that can't be beat. Rock on!
FB

Old 06-21-2012, 04:25 AM
Hopper
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, detergent oil is what you want. Especially with a rebuilt engine.
Lot of guys buy the longer cable and put the front brake lever on the right handlebar. I find though that riding the WLA is so different from a modern bike that it seems natural to have left hand brake. The brake is so pathetic it does not make much difference whether you use it or not and it certainly wont throw you over the handlebars if you grab it in error!
But it is nice to be able to keep the front brake on when downshifting for an emergency stop (WLA style emergencty stop that is!)

Last edited by Hopper; 06-21-2012 at 10:19 PM.
Old 06-21-2012, 06:50 AM
Flathead Butch
3rd Gear

Thanks, Hopper, detergent it is. I think I will move the front brake to the right. At least that's one thing that will mimic my other Harleys. Regards from very hot North Carolina.
Butch