Forum Issues Discuss any issues you are having with the Harley Davidson Forum software here.

Help with HDF closing

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 07:05 PM
molsenice
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help with HDF closing

Help-got the new laptop up n runnin I am on a wireless network and every time I open HDF, Explorer closes – this did not happen before with my other laptop – I must have something set wrong. I tested a few things and one interesting thing I have found is that I can open multiple Explorer windows – say check my email and then open a second to HDF – HDF closes. If I have HDF by itself, it closes, If I open HDF then a second site such as email – HDF closes

Why would HDF close? – what am I screwing up?

I think I am going to try a different wireless card - could be the signal strength but no other web site closes

Old 10-24-2006, 07:13 PM
molsenice
Ultimate HDF Member
Default RE: Help with HDF closing

Well I moved to where I had "excellent" signal strength - still HDF is closing without warning - not on the main puter - just on the laptop and no other sites are closing - got like 6 open right now. Even if just HDF is the only one open, it still closes without warning -

Being the pacient, calm individual I have always been, I can not afford to "Tee off" another laptop (Yea - golf clubs work well)

Old 10-24-2006, 08:08 PM
molsenice
Ultimate HDF Member

boy memories of the kid getting tease are starting to come back - HC is trying to help but everytime I open the HDF site on the laptop, explorer closes - aaarrrrgghhhh - go figure needing 2 computers - one to see HDF and one to trouble shoot - HC thanks for the help - currently running a virus scan on the laptop - I just formated it last night and everything on it is a fresh install - might be reformatting it again

Old 10-24-2006, 08:46 PM
molsenice
Ultimate HDF Member

well the last time I tried to log on with the laptop, I at least got an error message that I could see it is an explorer error - currently downloading Firefox - will see

Old 10-24-2006, 08:48 PM
HeatherC
Extreme HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I can't for the life of me figure out what your problem is. Sorry!

Old 10-24-2006, 08:53 PM
molsenice
Ultimate HDF Member

OK HC - now I have Firefox on the laptop and all seems well - must be an error in the install of explorer - all seems better -

Old 11-03-2006, 04:50 PM
DevilsReject

ORIGINAL: molsenice

OK HC - now I have Firefox on the laptop and all seems well - must be an error in the install of explorer - all seems better -
Sounds to me like something in Internet Explorer is FUBAR'd.... If you've done a reformat and reload, then the problem shouldnt be still happening. You may want to also check your security settings on something like your DSL software or even your firewall/spyware/antivirus. Some software will block certain files by default or specific threats.

Firefox still isnt fixing the problem, even though you can now get on. Something you can do is allow HDF in your allowed sites in Internet Options. This may fix the problem possibly.

I work on computers for a living, so I'll be happy to help you troubleshoot it if you like...

Old 11-03-2006, 07:38 PM
trmn8r
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what version of IE is it? my banking web sight has a warning against d/ling the latest version of IE (7.0 I believe) as it "may" cause problems with the security or something. .... better idea here is a cut and paste of warning from my banks web sight.:

Attention: Microsoft is currently offering Internet Explorer ver. 7.0 for download. New features within Internet Explorer ver. 7.0 may not be compatible with our Online Banking and ECORP service. Please wait to install Internet Explorer ver. 7.0 if possible. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

might be related???

Old 11-03-2006, 11:01 PM
DevilsReject

ORIGINAL: trmn8r

what version of IE is it? my banking web sight has a warning against d/ling the latest version of IE (7.0 I believe) as it "may" cause problems with the security or something. .... better idea here is a cut and paste of warning from my banks web sight.:

Attention: Microsoft is currently offering Internet Explorer ver. 7.0 for download. New features within Internet Explorer ver. 7.0 may not be compatible with our Online Banking and ECORP service. Please wait to install Internet Explorer ver. 7.0 if possible. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

might be related???
Good point, and it was something I meant to mention myself. I know that IE 7 still isnt bug free, meaning that several company sites are having issues with users trying to view their site with it.

Old 11-20-2006, 06:23 PM
molsenice
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: DevilsReject

ORIGINAL: molsenice

Sounds to me like something in Internet Explorer is FUBAR'd.... If you've done a reformat and reload, then the problem shouldnt be still happening. You may want to also check your security settings on something like your DSL software or even your firewall/spyware/antivirus. Some software will block certain files by default or specific threats.

Firefox still isnt fixing the problem, even though you can now get on. Something you can do is allow HDF in your allowed sites in Internet Options. This may fix the problem possibly.

I work on computers for a living, so I'll be happy to help you troubleshoot it if you like...
He bud - just noticed this - was too busy thinking I was good - Just been using FF lately so I don't know if the problem still exists or not - will try using IE tonight with the laptop tonight and post back

Fran