Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

Basic Question - Why Belt Primary Drive?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2005, 12:56 PM
Denman SA
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Basic Question - Why Belt Primary Drive?

The subject line pretty much says it - why do 99% of the customs that I see have the primary chain drive swapped out for the three inch (or larger) belt drive? Is it purely for looks, or are there real benefits? Is this something that should be on a rider's "wish list" of things to eventually do to his bike?
I'm assuming that the belts require less maintenance than chains, and don't stretch, etc. What are the down sides to a primary belt drive? Also, why do they cost so damn much?

Old 08-10-2005, 01:03 PM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Basic Question - Why Belt Primary Drive?

Part of it is because of the look but mostly it is because the choppers have big honkin' engines that put out a lot of torque. They are expensive because they aren't so much factory made and because people will pay what they are asking.

Old 08-10-2005, 01:38 PM
John TN
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

This was recently brought up:

https://www.hdforums.com/m_78991/mpa...e/tm.htm#78991

Old 08-10-2005, 02:41 PM
Denman SA
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ooooookkaaay! I scoped out the link, and that pretty much answered my question! Think I'll just stick with the good ole closed, chain, primary drive and keep my fingers and wardrobe intact.

Thanks, guys.
Dennis

Old 08-10-2005, 02:55 PM
HDWRENCH
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Morning all

From a mechanical standpoint they offer increase ridigity for engine and trans, not as much on tc but they help evo's out a bunch. They offer a true high performance clutch system. I use only primo the bdl are junk in my book. Ihave used them with builds and always end with issue's. Take a look at price they are much less money than a primo. Plus the primo use a diaphram clutch. The lever pull is like a SE spring but is will hold over 200hp. I use one on mine that is a 3 inch unit. I have broke primary chains, broke inner primarys, broke the chain and inner all at once. That was messy as it threw the chain threw the case at 120+ mph .

The looks thing is ok but I love the whine they make and the rattle of the dry clutch is tops in my book. They do make is harder to make hard left turns as you loose ground clearance.

I went to a open as I had to the engine was breaking the stock set up. the hb125 chain tensioners I could flatten it. So it was then I decided it was time to step up.

They are not hard to install and have a nice look, and they work. I have installed many on bikes that did not need them they where a look only item.

Old 08-11-2005, 12:17 AM
mikeisglidn
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

hey wrench ill bet your a pete jackson gear drive sort of person too!! nothin like a gear driven cam or the whine of a rock crusher transmission!!

Old 08-11-2005, 03:40 AM
HDWRENCH
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Love a pete jackson I have a little motor for my 55 chevy a keith balck 742 with a jessel belt drive not same whine hmmmm maybe a 6-71 blower will work Just kidding the tq alone will be fun. The twin 1150's make more noise than any thing else. I am in the re-do stage as I want a 6 speed and a EFI system for it. maybe twin 1200 cfm T/B's will work. YEA YEA and the 500 NOS kit will add to the 900 hp nad hmmmm oh yea break stuff. I like to drive it fun ride. I really like two yards of room from door to door. Factory ac pwr wind. pwr seat no il filter on the ole 265 though the two speed slush box gave out years ago. No Ihave a strange 9ing and am saving for a 6 speed and the efi. Currently stored in a building that reg the temp and humidty. SO no rust , or so they tell me. Oh well project when I am not so busy

P.S. if you havent figured it out ,.. I have to have some thing FAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!