General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem Diagnosing Electrical Issue

Old 10-06-2014, 04:01 PM
Damien Bessent
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Problem Diagnosing Electrical Issue

I'm riding a Sucker Punch rigid frame with an Evo motor and Softtail Handle Grip Switch Controls. Just recently she died and left me stranded on the side of the road. No warning, no problems, just up and quit. Now, whenever the Run/Off switch is in the run position, she trips the accessory circuit breaker after a second or two. In the "off" position she works just fine, but in the "run" position, she trips it every time.

I've torn into the wiring harness like a man possessed and found that if I disconnect the plug from the wires that run into the right handle grip, she'll come on and not trip the circuit breaker no matter the position of the switch (which makes sense since that grouping carries the circuit to the switch). I have also bypassed the ignition switch to eliminate it as the problem.

But I've hit a wall. I don't know how to diagnose it any further than I've gone. Is the switch itself bad? Does the switch run to the starter, or some other component? Is there some way to diagnose the switch or where the circuit runs to? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-06-2014, 04:22 PM
FatboysFatboy
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Wiring is a pain

Run switch provides power to ignition system. Start is just that, sends power to solenoid to activate starter. Sounds like you have a short in wiring in handlebar controls. Do you have you wiring inside the handlebars? Likely place.

Old 10-06-2014, 06:06 PM
FlamedFXR
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,487 Likes on 639 Posts

"Run" should just send 12 volts to the coil. You could run a jumper from a 12 volt feed to the coil to bypass the run/off switch and rule it out.

Old 10-06-2014, 06:43 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,811 Likes on 17,447 Posts

Short in the control housing around the switch or in the loom run in the handlebar, wire's rubbing somewhere in there. Not uncommon for one to get pinched during assembly and eventually rub through to ground.

Old 10-06-2014, 07:00 PM
NO PCKL
Road Warrior
Received 490 Likes on 269 Posts

With the plug to the hand grip disconnected, the wires should be all isolated (nothing to power or ground). Take an ohm meter and check for a short between each wire in the plug and ground (the frame). Don't forget to check each wire with each switch in both positions (remember they loop through the switch) to figure out which side of switch the wire is bad on. Might have to wiggle the wire around to fine the short, but shouldn't be too difficult to find.

Old 10-08-2014, 04:02 PM
Damien Bessent
Intermediate
Default *update*

I have taken the handle grip controls completely apart but left all of the wires connected. I still have the problem and cannot find an exposed wire all the way back to where the wiring harness goes into the frame (aft of the gas tank). I have already replaced my coil (tested it with battery charger and there was no spark), but still no luck. I have cut the wire from the coil to the kill switch, and I can turn everything on and she'll even turn over with out tripping the circuit breaker.

Can the voltage regulator be my issue? I thought that would only affect the charging system, but I'm still new to this so I don't know for sure. Please help me! I'm dying a slow death not being able to ride.

Old 10-08-2014, 04:16 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Have you dis assembled the ignition switch? Ive seen a broken tab spring short out to ground before.

Old 10-08-2014, 04:26 PM
Damien Bessent
Intermediate

Originally Posted by soft 02
Have you dis assembled the ignition switch? Ive seen a broken tab spring short out to ground before.
I have bypassed the ignition switch altogether by disconnecting the battery and auxiliary (?) wires and connecting them to each other directly when I need power to check something.

Old 10-08-2014, 04:30 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Could it be a week circuit breaker?

Old 10-08-2014, 05:32 PM
Damien Bessent
Intermediate

Originally Posted by soft 02
Could it be a week circuit breaker?
I doubt that's it, but I guess it could be possible. But if I understand how they work correctly, they complete the circuit. If too much electricity runs through them they heat up and break the circuit. Once they cool down they reset and complete the circuit again. The fact that it's been working up until last week, coupled with the fact that it is breaking and resetting tells me it's working properly. But I'll see if I can pick up a 15A breaker for it tomorrow. It's an inexpensive way to rule it out.

I'll post an update tomorrow after I've had a chance to check that out.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Problem Diagnosing Electrical Issue