General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going crazy over my scoot

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 05:39 PM
moosehunter22
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by qtrracer
It's just the compensator. No big deal at all, mine has been making that subtle knock for 7 years upon shutdown.
I hope so! Just worries me knowing it never made a knock before and now it does. You spend over 10k on a bike and another few thousand on goodies you want to make sure it's going to be ok. My warranty is slowly running out next spring.
I'll keep everyone updated and hopefully will figure this mess out.
I've heard the "it's a Harley they all knock" lol

Old 09-04-2015, 07:46 PM
moosehunter22
Tourer

Hey guys. It's going to be at least a few days until I can get someone to look at it. I was wondering if anyone had any troubleshooting ideas that might help me diagnose it myself over the holiday weekend. I'm no mechanic but I'm no idiot either. It is definitely coming from front of the primary.

Old 09-04-2015, 09:06 PM
rufasim
Road Warrior
Received 155 Likes on 110 Posts

Don't touch it. If you open it up you will void the warentee of the work just done. Ride if you wish. If it breaks, get it fixed again.

Old 09-04-2015, 09:21 PM
moosehunter22
Tourer

Originally Posted by rufasim
Don't touch it. If you open it up you will void the warentee of the work just done. Ride if you wish. If it breaks, get it fixed again.
To tell you the truth I'm about sick of this warranty bullsh*t anyways. Sooo many people told me oh no you can't do your 1,000 mile maintenance or it'll void your priceless warranty. I had a pretty bad issue that would have cost thousands of dollars and I'm thankful of the warranty saved me but the work was shoty and service was questionable, just hate jumping through hoops for anybody especially a dealership.
I swear a part of me wishes my warranty was up so I could quit worrying about pleasing the moco and not voiding the supreme warranty. Lol rant over. Just hate the fact that they had my scoot for 3 weeks and gave it back to me in questionable shape.

Old 09-04-2015, 09:36 PM
nocarb
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by moosehunter22
To tell you the truth I'm about sick of this warranty bullsh*t anyways. Sooo many people told me oh no you can't do your 1,000 mile maintenance or it'll void your priceless warranty. I had a pretty bad issue that would have cost thousands of dollars and I'm thankful of the warranty saved me but the work was shoty and service was questionable, just hate jumping through hoops for anybody especially a dealership.
I swear a part of me wishes my warranty was up so I could quit worrying about pleasing the moco and not voiding the supreme warranty. Lol rant over. Just hate the fact that they had my scoot for 3 weeks and gave it back to me in questionable shape.
I know it sucks to have it fixed under warranty when you know the service is not great. But, unfortunately if you want to save yourself some money, have it fixed at a dealership. Maybe not the current dealer though.

I feel your pain. I had an 08 Ultra that was in the shop 17 times in 14 months and 42,000 miles. Most of the time it was repeat work that the last dealership could not fix properly. Harley finally bought bike back for what I paid for it.

Old 09-04-2015, 09:39 PM
rufasim
Road Warrior
Received 155 Likes on 110 Posts

Hey, do what you want. Your bike. Your money. Like others have stated, take it to another dealer. The one that had it for so long may not have the best mechanics. Try another and it wont effect the warranty.
Sounds to me like this bike is not for you. You will always be weary of it breaking. Might want to think about parting ways and go for another. Refresh my memory. Was this a new or used bike?

Old 09-04-2015, 11:50 PM
moosehunter22
Tourer

Originally Posted by rufasim
Hey, do what you want. Your bike. Your money. Like others have stated, take it to another dealer. The one that had it for so long may not have the best mechanics. Try another and it wont effect the warranty.
Sounds to me like this bike is not for you. You will always be weary of it breaking. Might want to think about parting ways and go for another. Refresh my memory. Was this a new or used bike?
Reading this was truly worse then getting a break up letter from your high school sweetheart saying she's bangin QB1.. I hope this isn't the case. I absolutely love this bike. This is my first bike and it runs really good actually. Just have my fingers crossed that when I take it in to someone else it'll fix it for good. The problem seems isolated to the primary. All because of ONE LITTLE BROKEN TOOTH! that's so hard to believe that one tooth caused this mess. Even tonight it ran good but at shutoff and at a couple red lights I heard the knock and it's noticeable and it most certainly is not normal like I was told. I'll figure it out soon as soon as I find a good dealer that will have their service dept take care of me the way they should.