General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hydrographics - has anyone tried it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2015, 06:43 PM
kingxirol
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
Post Hydrographics - has anyone tried it?

Merry Christmas all!

Mods - Please move it to Paint section if you think is the right place for this thread. I wasn't sure so posting here in general discussion section to get most number of opinions.

I have scratched my bike's factory paint at quite a few places with all the wrenching over the years. However the quotes for paint jobs are quite high (over $2500 for complete repaint). I am not able to justify this cost yet and have been looking for alternatives.

During my quest, I came across this term called Hydrographics and decided to look it up. A few Google searches and couple YouTube videos later, I think it maybe a good idea for my simple needs that is a single-tone paint or a pattern for the whole bike as long as it looks good.

There are Custom paint shops that are offering Hydrographics now and also there are DIY kits available online. Just wanted to check if someone has had experience with this technique. How good is the quality, difficulty level for DIY and the good, the bad and the ugly of the whole process.

Any help or pointers are appreciated.

Old 12-25-2015, 08:25 PM
Bri894
Tourer
Received 55 Likes on 27 Posts

I have Hydro graphics on my ATV. It stands up pretty well. I'm at work right now so I can't attach a picture for you. I am happy with it. When I get home tomorrow morning I'll post up a few picture. I had the fenders, brake pedal done as well as my thumb throttle.

Old 12-25-2015, 08:37 PM
kingxirol
Road Master
Originally Posted by Bri894
I have Hydro graphics on my ATV. It stands up pretty well. I'm at work right now so I can't attach a picture for you. I am happy with it. When I get home tomorrow morning I'll post up a few picture. I had the fenders, brake pedal done as well as my thumb throttle.
Thanks Bri894! Please do post some pics when you get time. Hey wait a minute .... you are at work on Christmas!!! I don't envy your job man. Hope you get some well-deserved time-off.

Old 12-25-2015, 08:51 PM
Bri894
Tourer

It's OK. I work at an oil refinery so we never close. I'm use to working holidays. The pay is good today also. 12 hours at time and a half plus 8 hours holiday pay.

Old 12-26-2015, 06:27 AM
Yogie
Road Master
Received 286 Likes on 156 Posts

Looking forward to more info on this as we were talking this week at work about it. Watching on Utube it looked to be way to easy and fun to do...
I have several gun stocks that have been done this way by the factory and would love to do a bike...

Old 12-26-2015, 06:45 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Sounds intriguing...I might have to so some browsing around & see how this process works.

Old 12-26-2015, 07:01 AM
Irie1
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

We are having a bike done right now. Should be ready sometime after the first.

We found numerous shops but went with a local guy who mainly does guns. This will be his first bike, and we got a good price. I wouldn't try it yourself. Lots of training, practice and chemicals involved.

Old 12-26-2015, 09:53 AM
big papa AZ
Stellar HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 215 Posts

This has been out for a few years now. When I first saw it, I thought it would be the next big thing. Not sure what the issues are, it never really took off like I thought it would. On YouTube there are lots of videos.

Old 12-26-2015, 11:59 AM
Bri894
Tourer

Here's a few pics of the stuff I had done.
This is the brake pedal, key cover and thumb throttle before I put it on my Banshee.

Pic of the thumb throttle on the bike

Pic of plastics

Old 12-26-2015, 01:40 PM
kingxirol
Road Master
Originally Posted by Irie1
We are having a bike done right now. Should be ready sometime after the first.

We found numerous shops but went with a local guy who mainly does guns. This will be his first bike, and we got a good price. I wouldn't try it yourself. Lots of training, practice and chemicals involved.
Irie1 - Awesome! Will you be able to post some of the pics once the bike is done? Also if you don't mind sharing, what is the price point we are looking at for a touring bike parts (all tins, batwing fairing and a tour-pack)?

Originally Posted by Bri894
Here's a few pics of the stuff I had done.
This is the brake pedal, key cover and thumb throttle before I put it on my Banshee.

Pic of the thumb throttle on the bike

This is a pretty impressive stuff!!! Do you know if this can be done on a single-tone paint color or it always comes in a pattern? So far I've always seen a pattern print using this technique.

Last edited by kingxirol; 12-26-2015 at 01:45 PM.

Quick Reply: Hydrographics - has anyone tried it?