General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Went down...

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 03:37 PM
DaHowie
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Went down...

I went down 2 weeks ago today. I was cruising at ~30 in the left lane of a 3 lane going thru downtown. Cager jumps out of the middle lane into my lane to bypass slow/stopped traffic. Never signaled or even turned his head. I narrowly missed slamming into his left rear corner and due to traffic coming the other way had no place to go but down. Bike slid on left side for about 5'-6'. Of course none of the 200 cars on the street stop. The guy asked if I was OK and I said I seemed to be. He asked if he hit me and I said, no, I avoided you but went down in the process. Cagers said, now get this, 'I didn't see you; I was looking for cars but didn't see a motorcycle. I don't know why I have to stay if I didn't hit you, you fell down, since I didn't hit you I am going to go. Needles to say, I went OFF on the dude. I called the police. Law arrives and takes our information. Unfortunately, MPLS will not do accident report unless someone leaves in an ambulance or the cars are mangled. It was up to me to me and the cager to file accident reports. Law gives each of us copies of the others info. Cagers’ girlfriend/passenger pipes up about now. She asks the cop why it was his fault if he did hit me. Cop was non-committal with his answer. I said that failure to yield the right of way is a ticketable offence. Cop did not write a ticket though.

At this point, I know I am screwed. No accident report, no tickets written and the guy has a ‘witness’. I immediately ride the bike to the dealer. Only damage was the engine guard, footboard and bracket, primary cover, the saddlebag and the left side slip-on. Bike was solid otherwise. I get to the dealer, call the dudes insurance co., and file a claim. The rep took my recorded statement and gave me a claim number. Here it is 2 weeks later…

… And I have a ~$1500.00 check in hand. I’m not sure if the guy even returned his insurance company’s phone call. Maybe the relatively small amount of damage was enough for the insurance company to pay out regardless. Maybe the guy was honest and said, 'I didn't see you; I was looking for cars but didn't see a motorcycle’. Anyway, I am getting the 1k and the wrecked parts replaced as I type.

Hey guys, leave the engine guards on your dressers. Mine save my bike from thousands more in damage.

Old 05-10-2007, 03:41 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Went down...

Sounds to me you got lucky and everything worked out o.k. Believe me they wouldn't have paid you any money without talking to their insured first. He must have fessed up.

Old 05-10-2007, 03:53 PM
CGLTD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 277 Likes on 203 Posts

I'm glad your ok and things ended up working out great for you. I went down Saturday and took the bike in to the shop yesterday for the estimate. Hopefully they can have it fixed memorial day. As I was planning on riding down to Knoxville from Va Beach.

Old 05-10-2007, 04:51 PM
GTK
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 414 Posts

A good point for the engine and bag guards"hate to call them crash bars".

Old 05-10-2007, 04:58 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Glad you are okay. I know here it is all about who is at fault. Regardless of if the other vehicle hit you or not. It looks like they found the other driver to be at fault. You did the right thing by calling the Law...

Old 05-10-2007, 05:03 PM
chiabate
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They probably settled with you without even contacting their insured. The amount involved wasn't unreasonable and their pursuit of justification versus quick settlement was in their best interests. That's why they employ "Risk Managers" Not to make light of the situation, but now you understand the importance of Motorcycle Awareness Month. Every cager that becomes aware of us, becomes one less cager piloting a lethal weapon.

Old 05-10-2007, 09:01 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,211 Likes on 461 Posts

Glad you made out physically and damage-money-wise.

As a side note on the engine guards, I have a very nice scar on my shin because my leg was trapped between the guard and the bike. Ripped me to the bone, miles from anywhere on a dirt road along the Powder River in Wyoming. So, they have their downside, too.

Old 05-11-2007, 01:48 AM
eleutheros
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

Glad you're OK. Thanks for the report. Good info to know.

Old 05-11-2007, 02:00 AM
unclekunkle
Tourer

Glad to hear you're Ok...if that'd happened here in Cali; chancesare the cager wouldn't have been insured!

Old 05-11-2007, 02:55 AM
TommyF
Advanced

Glad to hear the damages werent that costly and that the insurance company sent you a check. I cant beleive the rationale of some people. I didnt hit you so Im gonna leave. You are a better man than me. I probably would have tried to knee cap him with my helmet!!