General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HOG patch etiquette and instructions...

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 10:35 PM
Charlie [Mortis421]
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Found this poking around on the internet...

http://web.me.com/redrose/Redrose/Back_Patch.html

Let me offer a short explanation of the policy on back patches.

The wearing of a bottom rocker - underneath the eagle is a definite “no no”!

The bottom rocker is generally associated with a geographical location and as such is only worn by “three patch clubs” such as the “Hells Angels”, “Blue Angels”, “Satan’s Slaves” etc.

There has been an increase in questions lately regarding the use of lower rockers, or chevrons with the H.O.G.® patch. We think this article, reprinted from the November/December 1994 edition of Chapter Officer News will answer those questions.

“As chapters continue to grow, so do the questions. One recent question asked is, “Does the Harley Owners Group make a chevron or authorize a chevron to go below the large H.O.G.® patch?”

The answer is “NO!”

Here’s why. From the very beginning of the Harley Owners Groups the design and display of the H.O.G.® logo and chapter chevron have been given careful consideration, with special attention to motorcycling organizations that may have a structure other than the family-oriented social structure of H.O.G.®. Regardless of a members intent in displaying a lower chevron, it can put a member in conflict with other three patch organizations.

The Harley Owners Group STRONGLY discourages members from altering the look of the HOG patch and chapter chevron combination by adding a lower chevron.

With your assistance, the integrity of the H.O.G.® organization will be maintained”.

So there you have it! As you can see, there’s a common sense history behind this policy and it still stands. Wear your H.O.G.® patch and chapter top rocker with pride.

And don’t wear a lower chevron!

The following users liked this post:
Christopher Slowey (12-04-2020)
Old 04-30-2011, 03:38 AM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,220 Likes on 4,770 Posts

Since I didn't see anyone else answer the other part of your question, this is what an Iron looks like.

Attached Thumbnails  HOG patch etiquette and instructions...-09-harley-iron.jpg  
Old 04-30-2011, 03:47 AM
Garandman
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IronAss
Since I didn't see anyone else answer the other part of your question, this is what an Iron looks like.

Old 04-30-2011, 04:32 AM
Trailfndr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Eva, Please, Please do NOT iron the patches onto Leather. You will ruin the leather with the heat.

Check at your local dealership, or independant biker clothing outlet. Many of them have patch sewing available for a reasonable fee. One I have here in SE Mich, sews them on and price is according to size. The guy that spent 30.00 to have them sewed, sounds like he had several patches on multiple articles of clothing, so 30 would not be unreasonable.

As for sewing leather, a sewing maching is your best bet, but use a Leather needle, otherwise the leather could tear, or you'll break the needle. By hand, use more than a thimble, you may also need a pair of pliers to pull the needle thru depending on the thickness of the leather.

Best of luck

Old 04-30-2011, 05:48 AM
CSMHOG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 281 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by JBBOOKS
I have a drawer that holds all of my HOG patches quite nicely!
Yep, I have a cigar box with about 7 years worth of patches just sitting in it.

Old 04-30-2011, 06:20 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie [Mortis421]
“As chapters continue to grow, so do the questions. One recent question asked is, “Does the Harley Owners Group make a chevron or authorize a chevron to go below the large H.O.G.® patch?”

The answer is “NO!”

Here’s why. From the very beginning of the Harley Owners Groups the design and display of the H.O.G.® logo and chapter chevron have been given careful consideration, with special attention to motorcycling organizations that may have a structure other than the family-oriented social structure of H.O.G.®. Regardless of a members intent in displaying a lower chevron, it can put a member in conflict with other three patch organizations.

The Harley Owners Group STRONGLY discourages members from altering the look of the HOG patch and chapter chevron combination by adding a lower chevron.

With your assistance, the integrity of the H.O.G.® organization will be maintained”.

So there you have it! As you can see, there’s a common sense history behind this policy and it still stands. Wear your H.O.G.® patch and chapter top rocker with pride.

And don’t wear a lower chevron!
Actually, every year when you renew, HOG sends you a bottom rocker with the year on it (this eyar is black and silver with spider webs) - have for many years. People all over America wear them every day.

Some people need to get a grip.

Old 04-30-2011, 06:38 AM
Captain Bligh
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I've never been a patch kind of guy, but I've always been somewhat amused by this whole patch thing. MCs must be the only club in the world that makes rules for people NOT in their club. It's like the Red Hat ladies telling the rest of us that we can't tilt a hat over the right eyebrow because that's reserved for them.

Even funnier is that we go along with their rules like good little sheep. I guess I don't like rules so much in the first place.

Old 04-30-2011, 06:44 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Captain Bligh
I've never been a patch kind of guy, but I've always been somewhat amused by this whole patch thing. MCs must be the only club in the world that makes rules for people NOT in their club. It's like the Red Hat ladies telling the rest of us that we can't tilt a hat over the right eyebrow because that's reserved for them.

Even funnier is that we go along with their rules like good little sheep. I guess I don't like rules so much in the first place.
Some people here are a little too scared.

On the other hand, if the red hat ladies can and will seriously hurt you for wearing your hat wrong, you better wear your hat right. There is some truth to what they say about the patches. Combining the worng patch with an attitude, or a drunk MC member, and you could have a problem that would make you regret wearing the patch.

On the other hand, everybody knows the difference between a HOG patch and a club patch.

Old 04-30-2011, 07:03 AM
Captain Bligh
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by brenn
Some people here are a little too scared.

On the other hand, if the red hat ladies can and will seriously hurt you for wearing your hat wrong, you better wear your hat right...
brenn, I like your signature quote but it doesn't seem to match up with wanting to avoid a good swat on the head with a purse from a Red Hat Lady.

Old 04-30-2011, 07:09 AM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,220 Likes on 4,770 Posts

I'm reading this with some interest.
Not sure why but after 40+ years of riding and never really caring about the whole patch/pin thing, I'm considering putting my Hoka Hey patch set on a vest and actually wearing it occasionally.

The Hoka Hey patch set looks very similar to a 3 piece patch set in that it has a top rocker, bottom rocker (two actually) and a large center patch. The colors are also very similar to a large well known 1% club.

Just yesterday I called a friend of mine that is the "P" of another large well known club and asked if he thought I would get any repercussions if I wore it around my local area. We have several clubs here.

He said "you earned it and I don't see why anyone would have a problem with you wearing it". When I asked if he thought it would be a good idea for me to seek out the other clubs and ask them what they thought, he said he didn't think it was necessary. "If they have an issue they will ask you about it and after you explain they will probably congratulate you on making the ride" was his response to that.

Still haven't decided whether I am going to put it on a vest a display it but am leaning that way.

I did earn it and am damn proud of what I had to go through to get it.

Quick Reply: HOG patch etiquette and instructions...