General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GoPro Wind Noise: Which housing is best?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 08:22 PM
bbest
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default GoPro Wind Noise: Which housing is best?

Just bought my first GoPro and thought I'd share with you guys a test I did to see which configuration gives the best sound.

If you're interested, I made a video so you can here the different housings and what they sound like:

The housings tested were:
  1. Standard housing with standard door (i.e. fully waterproof)
  2. Standard housing with skeleton door (supposed to give better sound at low/medium speeds)
  3. "The Frame" mount (supposed to be the best sound at low/medium speeds, but the GoPro is completely exposed to the elements)
  4. "The Frame" mount with the "Wind Slayer" foam wind sock (supposed to cut down wind noise)

My personal opinion on each:
  1. The standard housing with standard door does a decent job of reducing wind noise, but the sound is a bit muffled and there seems to be an odd rattling noise.
  2. The standard housing with skeleton door allows you to hear more of the bass/rumble of the exhaust, but the wind noise is quite noticeable around 60mph+
  3. The "Frame" sound awesome, but the wind noise is too much above 30mph.
  4. The "Frame" with the "Wind Slayer" is hands down the best. Very little wind noise, lots of exhaust noise.

The problem with the Frame, of course, is that the GoPro is completely exposed. If there's even a chance of rain, you're best to put it away or to change housings.

For me personally, I'll probably use The Frame with Wind Slayer 99% of the time, and keep the waterproof housing handy in case of rain.

Hopefully I get some interesting video to share with you guys!

Old 04-08-2016, 08:33 PM
Ibfuelish
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

I think the box it came in is the best housing personally.

I have decided that if someone wants to see what my rides are like, they can get their butts on a bike and follow along.

But thats just me.

Old 04-08-2016, 08:57 PM
Deucedog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 260 Likes on 135 Posts

I use a small microphone that you get when you buy a pc. I run it to the rear fender behind the seat. Cured 99% of the wind noise.Also picks up the exhaust sound very nicely.
I don't have a picture of it's current position behind the seat but here's where I first mounted it. It worked very well there, just works better on top of the rear fender, behind the seat.

The following users liked this post:
bbest (04-09-2016)
Old 04-09-2016, 08:25 AM
bbest
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ibfuelish
I think the box it came in is the best housing personally.

I have decided that if someone wants to see what my rides are like, they can get their butts on a bike and follow along.

But thats just me.
Living in Canada, there are always at least 4 months per year (usually more) that I can't ride. Taking video of the rides gives me something to look back on in those winter months and get excited about the upcoming season. It will also be nice to look back on when I'm an old man and can't ride anymore.

Sharing the videos is optional, but why not? Someone might get some enjoyment out of them.

Old 04-09-2016, 08:26 AM
bbest
Advanced

Originally Posted by Deucedog
I use a small microphone that you get when you buy a pc. I run it to the rear fender behind the seat. Cured 99% of the wind noise.Also picks up the exhaust sound very nicely.
I don't have a picture of it's current position behind the seat but here's where I first mounted it. It worked very well there, just works better on top of the rear fender, behind the seat.

Not a bad idea at all! I imagine you have to remove the mic during rain or to wash the bike?

Old 04-09-2016, 11:12 AM
StoneyFatBoy
Road Master
Received 129 Likes on 90 Posts

Mute the GoPro mic

Old 04-09-2016, 11:49 AM
Lonnie Mac
Tourer
Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

This all depends on what you intend to do with all of this. Personally, I started out using an external mic wired into the go pro with the adapter, and the mic was in my helmet. No wind noise, and it don't matter what housing you use. I don't use a face shield on my full face helmet anyway. The best option was to get my SENA bluetooth backpack setup, again the mic is inside the helmet. The added benefit of all of this is you can talk man! TALK! Sounds like you are in the good makings for some motorvlogs! You can still hear the rumble of your bike with the mic in the helmet, but that can always be a tradeoff, with wind noise.

Nothing wrong with that, and yes, you will be surprised how many people watch them.