General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MSF vs Riders Edge?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 05:19 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: MSF vs Riders Edge?

Keep in mind the MSF basic is for people who have never ridden motorcycles in their life. If you have past experiences you will likely find most of the course repetitive. Not that you won't gain something but it will be relataively little. Check into the MSF experienced rider course. That is designed for people who already know how to ride.

Old 08-08-2007, 06:56 AM
ken01976
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At least one credible estimate of the number of deaths/near-fatal incidents for MSF classes during that time frame is 1 in something like 250,000 students. A similar estimate for H-D's Rider's Edge classes is closer to 1 death/near-fatality for every 20,000 students. That's an order of magnitude over-representation of Rider's Edge class students as compared to non-Rider's Edge MSF students.

Old 08-08-2007, 09:19 AM
Paniolo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I frequent another site that is all about rider safety and training.
The whole MSF/Riders Edge thing is a bit of a sore spot to some folks in the training industry.

MSF is the "recognized" nationwide training curriculum. I say "recognized", because like Oregon not everyone recognizes it. Right now the MSF is suing Oregon, but that's a wholeanother issue. The Riders Edge Program IS MSF, just under the RE program. And since it is HD "sponsored" they ride the Blast, which some critics say is too powerful, and innapproriate for people who have NEVER ridden a bike before. They spout statistics and reports of injuries, wrecks, loss of control and even deaths. These critics say that some of the RE ranges are too small, and as such are not compliant with minimum safety standards. But they are convienently located next to, adjacent to, or in the HD dealer parking lot making it easier for folks to "graduate" and run in and buy a bike. And since HD is "sponsoring" (read that as money in the pockets of MSF) all of this, the MSF turns it's head and looks the other way to these safety issues. They ask, how can the MSF be non profit if they are sponsored and taking money from dealers and manuafacturers? Then there is the aspectof content and material which the critics say is is the "dumbing down" of motorcycle training issue.

That's it in the condensed verison. Some safety ctitics don't like the whole MSF/RE thing. Their issues are:

Buell Blast not suited for beginners
Some of the ranges are too small for safety minimums
The curriculum and material is "dumbed down"
Manufacturers (first HD, but the Japanese are coming on board too) sponsor these programs, there by influencing the material and content. The MSF should be it's own separate entity not influenced by manufacturers and dealers

Having said ALL that, if you are an experienced rider,and youcan safely start, stop, and make a turn, then sign up for whatever is easiest for you. They are basically the same course.

Me, I am a big proponent of training. ANY Training. I look at it this way. We practice our batting, we practice our golf swing, we work out in the gym regularly. Lets practice motorcycling skills on a regular basis too. It will only make us safer riders.

Old 08-08-2007, 02:15 PM
smittyp83
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The MSF courses up here fill up almost instantly and are completely booked for months. I tried for two years, but was never able to get into any class (they are every weekend from spring thru fall). I decided to take the RE class and I was very pleased. The classroom portion was very comprehensive. The riding portion started from square 1 and was actually MORE in-depth than the MSF courses that friends have taken. There was not a lot of HD promotion - we did take a tour of the store, talked about the difference in the bikes and went back into the service garage to talk to the mechanics.

I thought I knew how to ride, but the course really showed me things I didn't know and things I was doing wrong. I thought it was well worth the money.

Old 08-08-2007, 07:15 PM
mason417
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You get $50 hog bucks no matter what course you take, you also get a patch and pin as well. The Riders Edge adds a forced upon sales pitch about harley and buying thier store products. The msf course has good instruction for aloty less money without the sales pitch. Remember folks the store tour is part of the sales pitch.