General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old vs. New thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 08:47 AM
HotVrod
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Old vs. New thoughts

So here it goes, thoughts on the old bike vs. new bike.
I truly am having some "sellers remorse".. but as a new friend mentioned did the bike "speak" to me..I think Johnny did and the last straw was trying to saddle a diamond stitched, heated seat and he said eff no...that's it! after years of work and hands on upgrades, blood sweat and lots of tears it was time..he said quit trying to make me into something I am not. You are no longer a divorced single guy with a low riding semi hotrod touring bike. I will miss the rumble of the 95" S&S starting, pulling the choke and fiddling with the throttle. No longer do I feel the pull of a cable on either throttle or the clutch...that is something liken to a V12 engine every man should experience, and I wonder what "fake" spring tension is employed to make not think I have a video game controller in my hand. I find myself banging through gears and stopping at 5th..and then remember 6th..on the other end I am still in 3rd trying to make low speed turns as opposed to 2nd..guess I will get use to it. The pleasure of knowing "I made this" is gone. The man in black will be happier in other hands and I wouldn't care if they stripped him down to stock.
Now "Whiskey Woman"..unlike the worn guitar slung over the back of an iconic singer in black jeans and shirt and smacking you in the face, she comes in slow, smooth and dressed appropriately. she has not yet "spoken" to me but did provide over 2000 miles of fantastic road right out of the box. No stutter steps into alcohol or drug abuse...nice and calm like warm milk. Starting each time with a push of the button into a light even purr. The soft, adjustable air ride provided a good feel of the road but still connected..power into the 2500 rpm range was most satisfying knowing another 3000 was still there. Seating a bit cushy and soft for me from my hard Corbin leather saddle, that will need to be addressed along with 2" or 3" over bars with a better wrist position, tuner and pipes and I think I will feel better. Overall I believe HD did a great job tweaking this bike into the mainstream motorcycle market with out completely killing of the lineage and historical meaning of the brand. She is sweet, sexy and full of curves..I am looking forward to owning this bike.

Old 07-14-2016, 08:55 AM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,374 Likes on 2,948 Posts

Gotta update yer sigline...

Old 07-14-2016, 08:57 AM
HotVrod
Tourer

working on it now..lol

Old 07-14-2016, 09:02 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,744 Likes on 18,543 Posts

The "Man in Black" ( now in other hands ) waves by to you :>)

Old 07-14-2016, 09:03 AM
warprints
Road Warrior
Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

I think I know how you feel - sorta different story tho. Best bike I ever had was a VFR800 (best as in handling - just think where you wanted to go and it did). Had that bike a long time, but finally just got too old and decrepit. No, not the bike ... me. Had to get something more geriatric oriented (hence, the Ninja 1000). I was in agony putting the VFR up for sale and seeing it leave. But I'm glad to know that the guy who bought it was an even bigger VFR fanatic than I was.

Old 07-14-2016, 09:28 AM
HotVrod
Tourer

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
The "Man in Black" ( now in other hands ) waves by to you :>)

This very picture was embossed on my aircleaner...

Old 07-14-2016, 09:38 AM
HotVrod
Tourer

Originally Posted by HotVrod
This very picture was embossed on my aircleaner...
Here it is...

Attached Thumbnails Old vs. New thoughts-johnny-cover.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Uncle Larry (07-14-2016)
Old 07-14-2016, 09:38 AM
Twospot
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
Old 07-14-2016, 04:14 PM
the wild hog
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,847 Likes on 2,804 Posts

Never had a Johnny before, but I have had a whiskey woman. I think you need some more whiskey and you will forget all about Johnny.

Old 07-14-2016, 05:42 PM
Halojumper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,342 Likes on 842 Posts

Originally Posted by warprints
I think I know how you feel - sorta different story tho. Best bike I ever had was a VFR800 (best as in handling - just think where you wanted to go and it did). Had that bike a long time, but finally just got too old and decrepit. No, not the bike ... me. Had to get something more geriatric oriented (hence, the Ninja 1000). I was in agony putting the VFR up for sale and seeing it leave. But I'm glad to know that the guy who bought it was an even bigger VFR fanatic than I was.
I had one of those. It was a great bike, but it eventually go to the point where I had the age induced lean forward inhibitor.

Quick Reply: Old vs. New thoughts