General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery issues

Old 07-24-2016, 12:15 PM
Cosmichrist
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery issues

So the other day I decided to take my super glide/c for a ride. (I didn't have it on the trickle charger at this time and hadn't rode it in more than a week.) It cranked, I let it run for about 10 minutes, turned it off. Waited 30 minutes and drove it to get gas. When I rode about a mile, got gas at 7-Eleven, it would not turn back over. I ended up with the 'clicking' letting me know I didn't have enough juice. It's not the first time I've had problems like this, but usually I'm at home.

I towed it home, stuck it on the trickle charger and it cranked fine the next day.

My question is, since the battery is probably 3 plus years old, is it possible to do a load test on the battery? What's the lifespan of bike batteries?

The last time I replaced the battery, it was pretty darn expensive from Harley.

Thank you in advance.

Old 07-24-2016, 12:24 PM
Zerk
Banned
Received 827 Likes on 655 Posts

I got 7 or more years out of my batteries. No trickle chargers.

Curious why did you let it run for 10 minutes? At idle you may not be charging battery, but draining it. A ride is what is best for that, getting RPMs up.

I think the bike isn't road enough. A 1 mile ride and 10 minute idle will not charge the battery.

Also check connections are tight on battery. Happens all the time.

I would charge it, go for a ride, 20 miles or so, and don't stop until you get back home.

You could have jump started it, rather then tow it.

Old 07-24-2016, 01:36 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

My first bikes battery lasted 18 months. Then I started putting it on a trickle charger when it's sitting. I think the Texas heat isn't helping it.

Old 07-25-2016, 08:36 AM
Zerk
Banned
Received 827 Likes on 655 Posts

I don't use a charge. Heat is bad for batteries. Over 77 degrees it starts to effect them.

I believe not riding and short rides is a big problem.

Old 07-25-2016, 09:53 AM
Stel67
Tourer
Received 105 Likes on 48 Posts

I have a 2006 Fatboy that has 3800 miles on it, it sits for long periods of time. Its on its 3rd battery, have tried keeping it on a battery tender and off. Does not seem to make much difference here in AZ with the heat. Also these are odyssey batteries not stock HD batteries.

On the flip side my 2008 Road King is still going strong with the original HD battery, only difference is it gets ridden on a regular basis and the bike is based in Colorado where it is much cooler year round.

So I would say heat and not ridding are really hard on batteries.

Old 07-25-2016, 10:11 AM
Antonio Balls
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,629 Likes on 779 Posts

I had the same thing happen last year with a two year old battery. When I got home I disconnected the battery cables and cleaned all connections thoroughly. I then retourqued them. I have been using a battery tender whenever the bike is parked in the garage. I didn't realize it before but Harley Davidson actually advises you to keep the battery plugged in whenever it is not in use.

Old 07-25-2016, 02:26 PM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Battery

Once a battery is depleted, it never really comes back to fully charged, 12.8 volts. Get a new one and a battery maintainer.

Old 07-25-2016, 02:39 PM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 751 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by Cosmichrist
My question is, since the battery is probably 3 plus years old, is it possible to do a load test on the battery?

When you pulled the battery to have it tested what did the test show?

Old 07-29-2016, 12:31 PM
lmar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,073 Likes on 2,055 Posts

I have used trickle chargers on my bikes since the mid 90's. Never had problems with batteries. A couple of weeks ago on my Ultra LTD I noticed a little red light flashing on my trickle charger cable. I connected a trickle charger and in a few hours the green light came on the charger. I'm thinking that the security system and the alarm are taking a little drain of the battery when the bike is idle.

Old 07-29-2016, 06:07 PM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Originally Posted by Zerk

You could have jump started it, rather then tow it.
Depending on the year that may not be true. A modern FI bike won't stay running most of the time with a battery too low to start it even if you bump start it or jump it.

My 2002 Super Glide will run with a battery that's too weak to start it but in the end riding a motorcycle to "charge up" a weak battery will likely burn up a stator. A volt meter and the appropriate tests will tell the tale on battery performance/load performance and stator performance. Zerk didn't you say in another thread that you make your living doing electrical work? Are they hiring?

Last edited by Campy Roadie; 07-29-2016 at 06:35 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Battery issues