General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hello

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2017, 01:10 PM
Jonathan Rowe
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello

Hi, I'm joining this forum as I'm moving in with my girlfriend who has a Harley Davidson 1200 Nightster. I myself don't ride for the reason I have Muscular Dystrophy, a muscle wasting condition, and my.doctors have banned it, however, I have always been a frustrated biker. Being a lover of British Hard Rock, I have always been around people who aaare bikers and therefore I hope that I will be accepted to this forum. It's funny, it was always a dream of mine to ride a Harley after I saw the John. Bonham dream sequence in the Zeppelin film, the song remains the same. Therefore, not only am I with a gorgeous lady, but she has a cool bike. I have been out on it on the back, but it is tricky getting on and off, and holding my head steady. There is a `sissy bar' at the back and I just hang on to her tight. We have prepared the bike today for a May Day Run on Monday. My dream is to get a trike, I could manage one of those with my muscles but that is for the future. I would like to know if someone could suggest a Light helmet? It is key to me, my neck struggles with the spare one I'm using. Regards Jon

Old 04-29-2017, 11:08 PM
Ghost_13
Grand HDF Member
Received 6,941 Likes on 2,902 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonathan Rowe
Hi, I'm joining this forum as I'm moving in with my girlfriend who has a Harley Davidson 1200 Nightster.

I have Muscular Dystrophy

I hope that I will be accepted to this forum.
Bikers come in all shapes..., sizes..., conditions

Keep it real - you're golden

my.doctors have banned it,

however, I have always been a frustrated biker.

Being a lover of British Hard Rock, I have always been around people who aaare bikers

it was always a dream of mine to ride a Harley
FTDs

You a biker - we'll figure out how to get your *** on somethin - no matter it two wheels or three

Therefore, not only am I with a gorgeous lady, but she has a cool bike. I have been out on it on the back, but it is tricky getting on and off, and holding my head steady.

There is a `sissy bar' at the back and I just hang on to her tight. We have prepared the bike today for a May Day Run on Monday.
How tall the sissy bar..., and what seat she runnin

My dream is to get a trike, I could manage one of those with my muscles but that is for the future.
No better time to prepare for the future than today

I would like to know if someone could suggest a Light helmet? It is key to me, my neck struggles with the spare one I'm using.
What's your preference - full face..., 3/4..., something else

eta - have you looked into / thought about a neck collar - the type racers used pre hans device..., and what I still use cause I trust it

https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/...mp=yhs-att_001

=====================

Aside:

When the **** gets tough.., frustrating..., or you're having doubts - feel free to air it out

Excuses - **** that...., but when **** standing in your way - all day long

Respect to You

Ghost

Last edited by Ghost_13; 04-29-2017 at 11:13 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Ghost_13:
Dr. Tiki (04-30-2017), TinCupChalice (04-30-2017)
Old 04-30-2017, 07:03 AM
StoneyFatBoy
Road Master
Received 129 Likes on 90 Posts

Welcome... if you can find one an Airoh Aviator Carbon 2.1 helmet only weighs 890 grams and is a full face helmet. I'm not sure if you would like the style or if you can find something even lighter but that is one of the lightest helmets I can think of

Old 04-30-2017, 09:35 AM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,373 Likes on 2,948 Posts

Welcome to the site!
OP~ With your challenges, wind buffeting may be a factor. Does your GF have a windshield on her motorcycle? If so, she might include a Laminar Lip to help increase the dead airspace behind it.
Also, since you may have add'l challenges mounting/dismounting, I would recommend a full face helmet.

Ride safe!

Old 04-30-2017, 09:59 AM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,628 Likes on 1,176 Posts

Welcome to the forums.

As for helmets.... it's kind of a linear relationship, as size/weight goes down so does protection as a general rule. If you're looking for something just to be legal, these get very good reviews... https://akouryhelmets.com/

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click the LINKS below... For all Twin Cams and Evo Big Twins & Sporsters

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

Old 04-30-2017, 10:09 AM
SoCalSoftailSlim
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Right on. My first bike was a Sportster. Great machines.

If you get a chance, snap a picture of your helmet and post it. Give us a price range for your new one. I'd be glad to make a few suggestions, as would others.