General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

100 New Models Confirmed.... Really?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2017, 07:05 PM
FunRider
Intermediate
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 100 New Models Confirmed.... Really?

Harley says they are coming out with 100 new models over the next decade yet I find this really hard to believe. Is this realistic or is "100" just a nice round cool number to throw around for marketing purposes? Don't get me wrong, having that level of innovation and new bikes to choose from would be great but from a business/financial perspective how does this add up for them? Or do they just throw a M8 into their existing models dyna/softails and call that a new model?

https://www.hdforums.com/articles/ha...els-confirmed/

Old 05-12-2017, 07:22 PM
rjjj629
Road Warrior
Received 343 Likes on 247 Posts

Well, they black out a road king, take the windshield off and sell it as a new model so I'm guessing that anything they throw an M8 in will count as one of their new models.

Each year they chose a couple of different models to CVO so each of those will be a new model.

If they really do a new common core frame then they'll have a new set of touring models.

I guess what I'm getting around to saying is that, the way they define a "new" model, 100 new models in ten years is not going to be all that tough to accomplish. It sure does sound good in advertisements though

Old 05-12-2017, 07:31 PM
TriggerHappyFXDLS
Intermediate
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rjjj629
Well, they black out a road king, take the windshield off and sell it as a new model so I'm guessing that anything they throw an M8 in will count as one of their new models.

Each year they chose a couple of different models to CVO so each of those will be a new model.

If they really do a new common core frame then they'll have a new set of touring models.

I guess what I'm getting around to saying is that, the way they define a "new" model, 100 new models in ten years is not going to be all that tough to accomplish. It sure does sound good in advertisements though
Agreed. The MOCO's definition of "new model" doesn't mean it's going to be 100 brand new models.

Old 05-12-2017, 07:33 PM
ronaldrwl
Road Warrior
Received 342 Likes on 229 Posts

I hope they make something 'fresh'. When I see my sons Honda CVR(?) 600, it's a marvel to me. 4 cylinders, lighter than my MC and more horse power!

Old 05-12-2017, 07:36 PM
ronaldrwl
Road Warrior
Received 342 Likes on 229 Posts

I would also add it cuts the wind like nothing and handles like a dream.

Old 05-13-2017, 05:24 AM
uncle kebo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,372 Likes on 2,206 Posts
Default Agreed

Originally Posted by TriggerHappyFXDLS
Agreed. The MOCO's definition of "new model" doesn't mean it's going to be 100 brand new models.

HD - well this isn't even a spin doctoring its bs, pure and raw. Adding a trim level is not adding a model. Changing a color is not adding a model. etc... The marketing people really think were stupid in not knowing what a model line / model / sub model and trim levels are. The only new model HD added in years was the Street Line. They had some major revisions and some sub model additions..

Old 05-13-2017, 06:00 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

100 new models?

I'd be satisfied with ONE that didn't need a thousand bucks (or more) thrown at it, right out of the showroom. i.e. Power & Suspension

The following users liked this post:
Schex (05-13-2017)
Old 05-13-2017, 06:10 AM
09 YELLOWBIRD
Grand HDF Member
Received 820 Likes on 527 Posts

I thought it was "50" new models?

Either way.......

YB

Old 05-13-2017, 08:12 AM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 433 Likes on 260 Posts

I can't recall a truly new model this century other than the FXDX/T line; everything else is just trim and you could even "trim" out a stock Dyna of the day to FXDX spec if you wanted to buy the suspension...the Wide Glide used to have distinctive parts and the Switchback was pretty new but short lived...

Old 05-13-2017, 08:16 AM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 433 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by ronaldrwl
I hope they make something 'fresh'. When I see my sons Honda CVR(?) 600, it's a marvel to me. 4 cylinders, lighter than my MC and more horse power!
I've ridden them; exciting when on the boil but pitiful torque and not comfortable on the long haul. Not characteristics someone comes into a HD showroom looking for

Quick Reply: 100 New Models Confirmed.... Really?