General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Feedback on these open face helmets

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 12:42 AM
sparkalot
Road Warrior
Received 773 Likes on 346 Posts

Speaking of 3/4 helmets.....apparently if you are a motor officer for the CHP you have no choice but to wear a "company issue" 3/4 helmet.....I asked an CHP bike officer once and that was the answer. Same story for their side arm, no choice except "company issue" I am sure they have a reason for the mandated use of 3/4 helmets, even though statistically, a FF helmet is safer. I wear a FF helmet, but I do not judge others. Each to his own.
This thread has gotten very interesting. Started off the OP wanted input on what helmets to carry....No shortage of opinions on religion, politics, proper amount of chrome, and now helmets .

Old 06-20-2017, 07:04 AM
FlyLow
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks Guys, I set up an appointment with the folks overseas on my visit in sept for a tour of one factory. I dropped the Hedon Helmet from the list, it says UK, but it comes from China..
I hope to soon carry as many styles and color as I think will sell. weight and comfort first I wish Davida made carbon fiber models, none as of yet, so The Bell is looking good to me. I did place an order for a sample from Davida to try it out. No contact from the folks at Ruby, I don't think they have any DOT approved anyway.
The Guys that want the FF can buy else where

Old 06-20-2017, 08:30 AM
magna
Stellar HDF Member
Received 236 Likes on 145 Posts

If you want a carbon fibre helmet plenty to choose from here.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ca...w=1024&bih=648

And for those FF helmet wearers, although they obviously save your face from injury, remember reading an article in 'easy Rider ' magazine years ago written by a British surgeon who said he and his colleagues had attended numerous cases of bike crash victims where the riders had come off and the chin part of the FF had caught in a rough part of the road and had 'unplugged' their head from the top of the splne. So it ain't all good news wearing one of them.

Old 06-20-2017, 08:48 AM
FlyLow
Road Master

Thanks Magna, Great input on carbon fiber... Just trying to stay with the real DOT cert helmets. One reason I did not go with the Ruby... Could not verify it was DOT, and besides I am going over to the UK not down to Italy, but man I bet that carbon fiber they have is a great helmet.
What happened to the wind in your face... To me that is one of the biggest draws to riding, with the fullface, you might as well be in a cage....

Old 06-20-2017, 09:23 AM
magna
Stellar HDF Member
Received 236 Likes on 145 Posts

If your coming to the UK and go to Warrs the Harley dealership in London, they sell carbon fibre helmets, that I'm sure are approved.

Old 06-20-2017, 03:05 PM
FXDXTSport
Stellar HDF Member
Received 497 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by rusherbob
I have been wearing the Bell custom for years. It was $99 for flat black. A little more fore colors.😎
Same here. The best fitting and lightest 3/4 I've found at a reasonable price.

Old 07-28-2017, 08:05 AM
FlyLow
Road Master

I bit the bullet and went for the Davida from the UK... I've not ridden with it yet, but like my Shoei It fits tight in front of my ears, and I am sure there want be any air noise to make my ears ring at the end of a ride.....It does have a real leather linning, and is now DOT approved. I will be ordering a few more of these to sell for sure....
Thanks Guys for all the feedback....

Old 07-28-2017, 09:34 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

Open face with no shield means your face is open for rocks, bugs and any other objects.

Old 07-28-2017, 09:39 AM
FlyLow
Road Master

I have goggles when I ride my triumphs, and my streetglide has a deflector... 45 years of riding in Louisiana, I have been hit with birds, rocks, and all kind of bugs.. If I am going to ride to get some wind in my face, the open face is my choice over the fullface... That was not the point of this thread, it was asking other users of the helmets listed to get rider feedback.

Old 07-28-2017, 09:57 AM
rideflhr
Road Captain
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

The 1st helmet I ever had was a Bell 3/4,blue metalflake that they threw in when I bought my new '68 Bonneville.It was way cool and I wish I still had it.I've been wearing tiny helmets of various kinds for decades but now I am liking the look of the thin 3/4 helmets.I might try one soon.

Quick Reply: Feedback on these open face helmets