General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CB for group rides?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 07:00 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,722 Likes on 6,886 Posts

The CB is really outdated and the ones on Harley's have the shortest range there is. On a recent HOG chapter ride with only 13 bikes we could not communicate with the tail gunner. We had to have a relay in between. And we were a group only about a mile long at times.

Group Riding:
I have served in every position on our HOG chapter from activities director, road captain, safety officer, assistant director and director. I like and enjoy group rides. I personally led a group of 13 bikes, 18 people on a 220 miles ride recently. A Road captain should pre-ride and plan in advance with a focus on road condition and easy in and out locations for gas and breaks. They should always be prepare and have a good detailed meeting with all riders prior to kick stand still up.

I have always been complimented on my rides and the pace of the ride. One thing the leader needs to understand and those in the group need to also understand is the more people you have the faster the folks in the back will be running. The magic number for me is 10 bikes. At or more than 10 I slow the pace up front to 5 mph below the speed limit. Contrary to what most think if you are not the best rider or do not want to run harder you need to stay in the front of the group.

The largest group I personally led was 50 bikes and I ran 35 mph in a 45 to 50 mph speed limit so the folks in the back were not running 60 to keep up. You want people to always look ahead and focus on several bikes ahead of them, not just the one they are following. Everyone needs to maintain the pace to prevent the rubber band effect which makes it dangerous as you will be excelleraring hard and then braking hard.

We have a good experinced group (90%) and ride well together. But if riding with people you don't know you really need to pay close attention and size them up. Most long term HOG members are good group riders and understand stagger, pace, distance, etc. the folks that ride alone a lot tend to be all over the road.

Everyone needs to ride their ride and not exceed their skill level. I had a new lady rider once insist on being in the rear. She dropped out about half way. She then complained the group rides too fast. I was the third or fourth bike in the group and the leader never exceeded the speed limit. We talked with her, explained the factors, did some short rides with her with only three to five bikes and she got it. She rode in the second position the next ride and had a great time.

Don't fear he group just understand it.

As for the CB, well it is not much, but all I got! Lol

Last edited by Cosmic Razorback; 06-20-2017 at 07:04 PM.
Old 06-21-2017, 09:28 AM
WildBill_50
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Our chapter (SCRC) has been using CB's for at-least the last 6 years I've been riding with them. Recently another road captain and I have been experimenting with the Sena 20s. The 20s has a good range but not quite the CB has but communicating on the 20s if far clearer then the CB. Talking on the 20s is almost like talking to them in person.

We both use CB's as well, He uses the freewire and I have the SR-10 so we can use both the intercom and CB. It is really nice not having to deal with the wire from the bike to the head set. I have a J&M on the Heritage and a Midland handheld on the Dyna that I use with the SR-10 and 20s setup. The one downside we have found is on his freewire he can only use the CB or Bluetooth at a time, he has to switch back and forth, where I have both all the time.

We only have a few riders that use the Bluetooth so my buddy and I just relay the ride instructions to them. It is nice we can chat and not interfere with the CB discussion.

Old 06-21-2017, 02:35 PM
LoneWoolf
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 710 Likes on 486 Posts

I'm glad you guys enjoy yourselves.

For me, the only thing worse than riding in a group, would be riding in a group that was all talking to each other. I would rather be going to the Dentist.

Old 06-21-2017, 03:39 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,324 Likes on 3,269 Posts

I like my CB but I am thinking of getting a SHoei Modular (Neotec) for trips and when I ride by myself... I probably will get a SENA to put in it...It is way clearer than CB... I bought a Scala rider 2 years ago for a trip to Canada by myself and it worked great, I had it on my SHoei 3/4 and I could have a phone conversation with my wife at 65 MPH...It was great and the music through my phone was super clear.

Old 06-21-2017, 04:07 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,100 Likes on 1,023 Posts

Originally Posted by LoneWoolf
I'm glad you guys enjoy yourselves.

For me, the only thing worse than riding in a group, would be riding in a group that was all talking to each other. I would rather be going to the Dentist.
Absolutely! Done the group ride a few times and it's just not for me. I am happy that some folks enjoy it though. Every one needs something for entertainment.
I have had CB radios on the four Dressers that I have owned over the years, however, never have used one yet.

Old 06-21-2017, 04:30 PM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Received 689 Likes on 412 Posts

Our chapter couldn't run without CB's - they are a necessity for group rides. I like solo and group rides - of any size. We have road captains within the group so if we get caught at a light , an RC will take charge. That way no one has to run a red light etc. We do the speed limit at all times. What I don't like about too many unnecessary transmissions = they interrupt my music.

I feel sorry for those that hate and won't ride in a group. I guess they are not so sure of their ability. If you are confident in your ability to ride, the size of a group won't make any difference.

I ride in the biggest group in the country every year = Rolling Thunder 500000+ riders. Never had a problem never was "scared".

Old 06-21-2017, 06:28 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,324 Likes on 3,269 Posts

We're usually less than 10, sometimes 15 , 4 have CB 4 others have Bluetooth...

Old 06-21-2017, 06:31 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,251 Likes on 11,137 Posts

Originally Posted by touchdown
Drove truck for over 40 years, I hate CB I have one built into my bike never use it, ridding friends want me to use it, I say no just keep the f---- up will talk when we stop.
Breaker...breaker...good buddy. That wasn't the question.

CB works for me and all the people I may ride with: Patriot Guard, buddies...

Old 06-21-2017, 10:55 PM
KYBill
Road Captain
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I joined a group ride again this evening, a short hour ride through rural roads in the bluegrass. This time I was probably bike 12/13 of 22 or more. Not by design, just more people showed up than anticipated.

I found this ride more enjoyable. Pace was easily more appropriate. While I'm sure we could have upped the speed 15-20 mph in sections, it wasnt necessary to enjoy the roads and it was a more relaxed ride, notba heavy "technical"'ride.

We got seperated at least 6-8 times by up to a mile and the CB's were definitely handy at keeping track of the group. I could hear fine even with the built in antenna but will install the longer antenna this weekend.

The wire from the headset to the bars is a bit distracting but I could probably dress it differently. The headset itself sounds fine but doesnt fit the 1/2 helmet well and pinches the ears. Can anyone reccommend a wired 1/2 helmet headset based on comfort with a half lid?

Old 06-21-2017, 11:07 PM
JesseDyna
Road Warrior
Received 312 Likes on 228 Posts

Candycaaaane!

I like riding with groups but less is more. Learn the signals. Need gas, need to take a leak, need to get some chow (plus a few more safety ones). I don't need the signal to know if the police are ahead because they will rarely object to anything I'm doing.

It never fails, last time someone in my group rolled up on me and did some gesture making me think my engine was about to fall out or something. It was absolutely nothing.

Riding is about giving the unknown the chance to speak to you.

That and I don't have a Sena yet.

Quick Reply: CB for group rides?