General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for intercom system without helmet

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 10:23 AM
CookUltraClassic
Cruiser
Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Looking for intercom system without helmet

My wife and I rarely use helmets when we ride and have to shout when we point things out or try to talk. There is a lot of "What?!?" And "Say that again!" Haha

I was looking for some sort of Bluetooth intercom system that is just a single earbud with a boom mic that we could use, but can't find anything like that unless willing to pay upwards of $300.
They are out there cheap, but they all have tiny speakers meant to be mounted inside helmets.

What I'm envisioning is an earbud or dual earbuds and a boom mic. Preferably an earbud that wraps around your ear to keep it stable. The push to talk button could be on the earbud or anywhere.

Does this exist? Can it be had for under $100??

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks.

Old 09-26-2017, 04:54 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

This is an option...

The following 2 users liked this post by ChickinOnaChain:
EricRay (09-26-2017), r-bar-j (09-30-2017)
Old 09-26-2017, 08:33 PM
Greg Di
Road Captain
Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Not likely. Consider a helmet.

​​​​It's quiet and comfortable. I wear a modular all summer long in the humid heat of GA. You can do it too. It won't kill you. Plus comms are easy.

Old 09-26-2017, 09:10 PM
EricRay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 647 Likes on 629 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Di
Not likely. Consider a helmet.

​​​​It's quiet and comfortable. I wear a modular all summer long in the humid heat of GA. You can do it too. It won't kill you. Plus comms are easy.
I agree, best way is use a helmet. Plus best way to protect also.

Old 09-26-2017, 09:25 PM
Jshopes
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,195 Likes on 658 Posts

i just laid the bike down thursday on my head. only reason not to wear one is ignorance. I woulda gotten out of a little whiplash had it killed me. ill take the whiplash. The comms systems are so good for helmets no one believes im on a bike with my sena

Old 09-26-2017, 10:16 PM
KYBill
Road Captain
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I think Sena/Harley still make bluetooth systems that are designed to be used without a helmet but not for $100, probably closer to $200 each. They wrap behind the head, have two speakers and a boom mike. The systems are essentially identical to those designed for sports so googling bluetooth headset for skiing, other sports would probably turn up additional resources.

Old 09-27-2017, 07:52 AM
GRWHD
Road Warrior
Received 256 Likes on 207 Posts

The new Sena 1/2 helmet is very interesting looking, but it's a helmet.

If you don't want a helmet you may want to take a look at/for intercom systems set up for racing teams.
Like the off-road teams use.
Not sure if they would work well with wind noise, but worth a look.
I know they make them, I just have not been around off-road competitions for quite a few years.

Old 09-27-2017, 08:01 AM
roussfam
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,738 Likes on 3,507 Posts

Originally Posted by Jshopes
i just laid the bike down thursday on my head.

Old 09-27-2017, 01:58 PM
tacojunkie
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Head phones

Originally Posted by CookUltraClassic
My wife and I rarely use helmets when we ride and have to shout when we point things out or try to talk. There is a lot of "What?!?" And "Say that again!" Haha

I was looking for some sort of Bluetooth intercom system that is just a single earbud with a boom mic that we could use, but can't find anything like that unless willing to pay upwards of $300.
They are out there cheap, but they all have tiny speakers meant to be mounted inside helmets.

What I'm envisioning is an earbud or dual earbuds and a boom mic. Preferably an earbud that wraps around your ear to keep it stable. The push to talk button could be on the earbud or anywhere.

Does this exist? Can it be had for under $100??

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks.
I bought a pair of SENA headphones for our trip to Sturgis. My wife drove in a car me on the bike. They worked great! they were good for about 1000 yards and the charged lasted about 10 hours. Well fast forward on we bought a trike , so we don't need them anymore. If your intrested send me a pm. Weather you get a pair from or someone else, they work.

Old 09-29-2017, 03:14 PM
ChaseTheRide
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Have used Sena headsets for years with both full helmets and half helmets and they worked great. Also had a fried that had one that was over the ear he used helmetless.

Quick Reply: Looking for intercom system without helmet