General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailer with RV

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 10:00 AM
Bogie_71
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Trailer with RV

Yeah, yeah, I know, trailering is bullshit. Now that we have that out of the way, if it was up to me I would just ride around the country solo, but the wife has other ideas.

Thing is my wife is disabled and can't do long rides (with max comfort mods she is good for about an hour or two), but she really wants to do the RV thing. I can't sell her on the toyhauler (Motorhome style is too big for our driveway plus $$$, and for a trailer style toyhauler I would have to buy a truck which also puts us out of the budget).

Anyways I got to thinking if we're out there, rather than tow a car I could tow my bike and I could still get to do some cool rides at least. All the MH I looked at have enough towing capacity for the bike (or a small car) so I am not worried about that. We'll be getting a Class C (about 24 or 25').

I was looking at
https://www.kendonusa.com/product/si...cycle-trailer/
or
https://www.stingertrailer.com/produ...xl-112-inches/

for the Road King. I'll be doing all the work myself. It looks like too much extra work to get a lift on a Class C, so it will have to be a trailer. I thought about enclosed trailer but my driveway will already be tight with a MH in it, plus the kids will never move out of the house so we have all those cars as well.

Basically looking for general advice, gotchas, or anything else before spending money.

Thanks!

Old 03-16-2018, 10:07 AM
Redbeard07
Novice
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here is an option I seen on the back of a motorhome, I thought was a cool idea.
http://www.cruiserlift.com/cruiserlift

The following users liked this post:
Bogie_71 (03-16-2018)
Old 03-16-2018, 10:11 AM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member
Received 987 Likes on 678 Posts

Personally I’d go the enclosed trailer route...For the money it will give you extra storage....Security....Keep the bike clean and last but not least PEACE OF MIND...
Dont get me wrong I’ve got a duel Kendon...GREAT trailer but nice going from point A to B and back but if i was traveling for any amount of time I’d want more of the things i already mentioned.
Best of luck on your decision and your travels....

The following 2 users liked this post by riteway:
Bogie_71 (03-16-2018), LoneWoolf (03-17-2018)
Old 03-16-2018, 10:21 AM
Bogie_71
Cruiser

Originally Posted by riteway

Dont get me wrong I’ve got a duel Kendon...GREAT trailer but nice going from point A to B and back but if i was traveling for any amount of time I’d want more of the things i already mentioned.
Best of luck on your decision and your travels....
Thanks. I think to begin with we will probably be doing a lot of "destination" camping rather than just wandering around the country, boondocking, etc. We'll both be noob RV people so we are buying smaller and used to start with. If we like it, then probably upgrade in five years or so.

If it wasn't for having to find a spot to store the enclosed trailer, that would probably have made the decision a lot easier.

Old 03-16-2018, 10:22 AM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,167 Likes on 5,391 Posts

Originally Posted by riteway
Personally I’d go the enclosed trailer route...

Enclosed trailer is the only way to go...AND get a duel axle...if you have a flat with a single axle...with an RV you probably want even know it till someone pulls up beside you and waves...if you insist on getting one of those little mickey mouse trailers...at least rig a back-up camera where it is on all the time... so you can keep an eye on it

The following users liked this post:
Bogie_71 (03-16-2018)
Old 03-16-2018, 10:23 AM
Bogie_71
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Redbeard07
Here is an option I seen on the back of a motorhome, I thought was a cool idea.
http://www.cruiserlift.com/cruiserlift

I saw that too, those are awesome. If we ever upgrade to a bus that would probably be my go to.

Old 03-16-2018, 10:44 AM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member
Received 987 Likes on 678 Posts

Again nothing against the Kendon as i have one BUT if you cant go the enclosed route then check into the Aluma Line... It will be able to be used for other things other than cycles...Also EZ to store...
Definatly check CRAIGSLIST for any of your choices....Chicagoland is HUGE in the Craigslist market...Also Indiana and Wisconsin...

https://www.alumaklm.com/mc1f-foldin...rcycle-trailer

Old 03-16-2018, 10:45 AM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,066 Likes on 11,074 Posts

You won't recognize your bike towing an open bike trailer behind a MH. There is a negative pressure area behind a MH that sucks in all the road **** all over your bike.
Trust us, get an enclosed trailer. You will also need to find pull through RV spaces since you won't be able to see the trailer in your mirrors when you back up.

Old 03-16-2018, 10:48 AM
71on72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,255 Likes on 8,518 Posts

Man you have me completely confused.
Are you looking to mainly live at your house and make short trips in an RV and mainly concerned about parking yor RV and trailer at your residence.
Or extensive long term travel and stayying at RV parks and campgrounds.
In either case kick your grown kids out. Best decision you’ll ever make.

Old 03-16-2018, 11:28 AM
CVO SG
Road Warrior
Received 252 Likes on 205 Posts

I have the Kendon dual ride up. Excellant trailer and you dont even know its behind you. Has a footprint of 30" x 7' when stood up. I only use it twice a yr, so storing an enclosed wasnt desired. That Alum trailer looks nice! Don't have one, so cant comment on it.

Quick Reply: Trailer with RV