General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rolling thunder from nj

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 10:19 PM
giacomo56
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Leverlution
any suggestions? I cant find my good set anywhere. My old set is beyond worthless. Harley has a good set but obviously branded. Any other last minute suggestions?

Cabbellas has some pretty good ones....

Old 05-24-2018, 05:57 AM
overthehill?
Road Master
Received 166 Likes on 42 Posts

any suggestions? I cant find my good set anywhere. My old set is beyond worthless. Harley has a good set but obviously branded. Any other last minute suggestions?
FWIW, just got back from a road trip down to NC/TN. We road 81 and 209 I think from the Milford, PA area....not a bad road.
Regarding rain gear, Olympia set from Revzilla worked really well. Here's a link:

Jacket: https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...on-rain-jacket
Pants: https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...zon-rain-pants

Old 05-24-2018, 01:43 PM
Leverlution
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by overthehill?
FWIW, just got back from a road trip down to NC/TN. We road 81 and 209 I think from the Milford, PA area....not a bad road.
Regarding rain gear, Olympia set from Revzilla worked really well. Here's a link:

Jacket: https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...on-rain-jacket
Pants: https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...zon-rain-pants
Thanks. I'll need something for the rolling thunder though. I cant find my good set and my old old one doesn't fit So it's basically Harley, cycle gear, or a metric shop.

Old 05-24-2018, 03:31 PM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by dawg
If going to DC I run 81 to 66 and over to DC.
Coming from Vermont, I-81 takes you pretty far west before it hits I-66 (It angles SW.) It is not an interstate, but you could also take US-15 from Harrisburg, PA down to Frederick, MD, then Leesburg, VA. US 15 hits I-66 around Gainesville, or you can take Rte 7, Rte 267 (toll--EZ Pass needed), or Rte 50 east off of 15 depending on where your destination is. My guess is that 15 wouldn't add much if any time since it is a more direct route. And, with the exception of the Leesburg stretch, it is a much more pleasant ride.

Old 05-24-2018, 07:39 PM
pbsdaddy
Extreme HDF Member

Received 5,382 Likes on 2,487 Posts

A lot of people, coming for Jersey and North, use the Cape May-Lewes ferry. You'll still wind up on Rt. 50, but won't have to do 95 the whole way down. You can make DC in 2.5 to 3 hours, from Lewes. Keep that in mind when checking the ferry schedule.

For good rain suits at a reasonable price, check your local Honda or Suzuki dealer. Most carry off brand suits for a lot less than anything at the brand only stores.

Old 05-25-2018, 03:11 AM
Leverlution
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by pbsdaddy
A lot of people, coming for Jersey and North, use the Cape May-Lewes ferry. You'll still wind up on Rt. 50, but won't have to do 95 the whole way down. You can make DC in 2.5 to 3 hours, from Lewes. Keep that in mind when checking the ferry schedule.

For good rain suits at a reasonable price, check your local Honda or Suzuki dealer. Most carry off brand suits for a lot less than anything at the brand only stores.
Ugh. As a native Marylander, the thought of that straight ride up and down 50 to the beach gives me heart burn lol. Definitely better than 95 though. 404 Might take a little more time (maybe 30-45 mins) but it isn't as boring and mindless. Tip for anyone going that route that thinks "Maybe i'll just pop in Ocean City for a minute and have lunch before riding the other half," don't do it. You'll be stuck in memorial day traffic forever.

Old 05-25-2018, 06:33 PM
pbsdaddy
Extreme HDF Member

Received 5,382 Likes on 2,487 Posts

Ugh. As a native Marylander, the thought of that straight ride up and down 50 to the beach gives me heart burn lol. Definitely better than 95 though. 404 Might take a little more time (maybe 30-45 mins) but it isn't as boring and mindless. Tip for anyone going that route that thinks "Maybe i'll just pop in Ocean City for a minute and have lunch before riding the other half," don't do it. You'll be stuck in memorial day traffic forever.
Very good point about going to OC, or anywhere near any of the beaches.
I was thinking 404 to 50, when I posted. I need to keep in mind, not all know the short cuts. For anyone planning to use this route, here's a verbal map. You will leave the terminal and go right, into the town of Lewes, (not the fastest way, but the easiest to do unless you know the area). Turn left onto Rt 9. Follow it for about 25 miles to Georgetown. In the middle of town is a traffic circle. From Rt 9, turn right onto the circle and take the first right. Follow that about 1.5 miles to Rt 113. Turn right onto 113 and follow it about 3 miles to Rt 18. Turn left onto Rt 18, (seashore highway). Rt. 18 becomes Rt 404. stay on it until the right at Rt 50, (30/35 miles). Stay on 50 across the Bay Bridge and follow 301 into DC.
On the mapquest, enter Lewes, De as your starting point and Washington, DC as your end point. You will be able to see the route there

Last edited by pbsdaddy; 05-25-2018 at 06:36 PM.