General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exploding tire

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 03:56 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,139 Likes on 11,100 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Had a windshield snapped off the old shovel by a chunk of tire tread from one exploding about 6 car lengths ahead of me, saw the tire go, was ducking and trying to go for the shoulder when the gator hit. If the ex had been with me she's have taken it full in the face. Since I'm like everybody else I'm going round them by doing whatever I have to to put a truck in the rearview on highways.
Judging by the amount of tire alligators strewn on the interstates, you would think recapping truck tires is a liability to the trucking company, the truckers insurance company and the business who recapped the worn truck tires.
IIIRC, recapped tires are illegal on the steering axle.

Old 09-21-2018, 05:08 PM
Crazy
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,515 Likes on 804 Posts

Originally Posted by RHPAW
Truck drivers probably think I'm a maniac, because I pass them with the throttle pegged. The less time I spend next to or near them, the better.
My father drove a tractor trailer for most of his life. When I started riding he told me to haul *** when passing them and don't hang around any longer than I have to.

Originally Posted by 2ROWDY
Scares the heck out of me to come up on a pickup or trailer with an extension ladder in it or on it. I've seen them blow out of vehicles several times.
That happened a couple of years ago on the freeway here in Albuquerque, and killed a guy riding a bagger.

Originally Posted by upflying
Wasn't there a recent crash in New Mexico involving a truck tire blowout that killed 10 people? I think it happened on I40 near Gallup, truck lost control due to a tire letting go, truck crossed the median and hit a Greyhound bus head-on.
Yep, about 3 or 4 weeks ago between Gallup and the Arizona border.

Old 09-21-2018, 05:21 PM
CndUltra95
Road Warrior
Received 54 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by upflying
Judging by the amount of tire alligators strewn on the interstates, you would think recapping truck tires is a liability to the trucking company, the truckers insurance company and the business who recapped the worn truck tires.
IIIRC, recapped tires are illegal on the steering axle.
Just because something is illegal doesnt mean some will not try and shirk it.
Why are many of the clips showing Russian dash cams?
I thought some of the clips where air bags popping.
I have seen and heard tires going off in the opposite direction and glad there was a 60 yrd green space between the tires and me.
Rob

Old 09-21-2018, 05:27 PM
iamcmf99
Tourer
Received 180 Likes on 111 Posts

I always go around as fast as possible.

Old 09-21-2018, 05:40 PM
Cazador
Received 3,323 Likes on 1,853 Posts

I was riding and XRX came flying by. I caught up to him and warned him about an impending blowout on a tractor trailer up ahead. He said "No worries, this awesome Italian work of art maintains a bubble of protection around it. He said if I could keep up with him that I may be able to tuck in and be protected."

The following users liked this post:
Roadflyer (09-22-2018)
Old 09-21-2018, 05:48 PM
Sanjuro
Road Warrior

Received 1,616 Likes on 749 Posts

Originally Posted by Cazador
I was riding and XRX came flying by. I caught up to him and warned him about an impending blowout on a tractor trailer up ahead. He said "No worries, this awesome Italian work of art maintains a bubble of protection around it. He said if I could keep up with him that I may be able to tuck in and be protected."
I was there! I saw this and decided to join in the train to get some protection too. I couldn't keep up though, as I did not have any major industry sponsors.

R,
Sanjuro

Old 09-21-2018, 06:08 PM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 836 Posts

Have been hit by chunks of retread from a semi tire blowing on the interstate. Not good.

The following users liked this post:
TwiZted Biker (09-21-2018)
Old 09-21-2018, 06:10 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,269 Likes on 1,975 Posts

I remember several years ago, I was riding several car lengths back from a truck and his tire came apart, sure got my attention real fast. It was on the right side of the truck/trailer so, except for the sudden noise, I was lucky and had nothing to worry about.

Old 09-21-2018, 06:17 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,220 Likes on 4,770 Posts

Retired trucker here. I tell my wife to stay as far away from those things as she can and to be ready to react whenever she’s within 500 feet of one on the freeway.
Never mind. Double post

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 10-07-2018 at 12:04 PM. Reason: Multiple posts
Old 09-21-2018, 08:37 PM
GaryLC
Tourer

Received 239 Likes on 128 Posts

Recapped tires aren't the only ones that come apart on trucks. I will not put them on my truck or trailer, but the virgin casings can and will come apart and tear the hell out of things. Usually the cause is an under inflated or flat tire. Heat builds up in them pretty quickly at normal highway speeds, and they start coming apart. A driver usually can't tell that a tire is low or flat unless it is on the steer axle while driving down the road until it comes apart.

Quick Reply: Exploding tire