General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reliability/longevity of EVO vs. early Twin Cam

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2018, 08:02 AM
Tarkus60
Road Warrior

Received 303 Likes on 218 Posts

I would get on my 02 and go anywhere and not worry one bit!

The following 2 users liked this post by Tarkus60:
Campy Roadie (09-22-2018), DaveE (09-22-2018)
Old 09-22-2018, 08:33 AM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 836 Posts

good thread.

Old 09-22-2018, 08:37 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Originally Posted by Tarkus60
I would get on my 02 and go anywhere and not worry one bit!
I guess that's the difference between a Marine and Soldier

Semper Fi Brother

Old 09-22-2018, 10:12 AM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 433 Likes on 260 Posts

I live near a school that trains HD mechanics. Long ago I wanted to hop up and tour on an FXR, but instructors there convinced me to go with a then new FXDXT. Their advise was correct. I went bigger bore/stroke, got heads done, put gear drive cams in and rode that bike thru many states and provinces. 111hp/117ft lbs. An EVO wouldn’t have been as reliable at the horsepower level I wanted.
Also; nowadays, unless you’re a totally self sufficient mechanic, students aren’t even taught on EVO’s.
Ancient, romaticized platform...as the twin cam will be in a few years.

Last edited by sharkey; 09-22-2018 at 10:14 AM.
Old 09-22-2018, 11:16 AM
mitchxout
Cruiser
Received 64 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by sharkey
I live near a school that trains HD mechanics. Long ago I wanted to hop up and tour on an FXR, but instructors there convinced me to go with a then new FXDXT. Their advise was correct. I went bigger bore/stroke, got heads done, put gear drive cams in and rode that bike thru many states and provinces. 111hp/117ft lbs. An EVO wouldn’t have been as reliable at the horsepower level I wanted.
Also; nowadays, unless you’re a totally self sufficient mechanic, students aren’t even taught on EVO’s.
Ancient, romaticized platform...as the twin cam will be in a few years.
I disagree and so do the HD engineers. Why do you think they went back to single cam? Btw, S&S motors are also single cam.

Old 09-22-2018, 11:40 AM
Kingglide549
Banned
Received 969 Likes on 694 Posts

The TC would have been ok if they had not used a flexible flywheel arrangement and under engineered cam geometry

Old 09-22-2018, 11:51 AM
Greezey Rider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,493 Likes on 1,073 Posts

Originally Posted by mitchxout
I disagree and so do the HD engineers.
There are a few reasons that they went back to a single cam...None of them have to do with the EVO.

Why do you think they went back to single cam?
Because so many Harley riders are too stupid to maintain the cam tensioners on a T/C.
The valve train geometry is way better on a T/C than on an EVO, Shovel or what have you.
The idea behind the T/C was to correct the angle of the pushrods in relation to the rockers (kind'a like the Sportsters have always been) and it worked very well.
Sadly the government stepped in and told them that they couldn't be gear driven because of noise level rules, so they did chain driven, which is quieter but requires some attention from time to time.

Btw, S&S motors are also single cam.
Because they're based on the EVO platform.
As I have said many times before, to my customers at the shop and on these forums, The EVO was a great platform and was one of the things that saved Harley from going out of business, But they are not the best motor Harley ever built.
Pop a set of gear driven cams in a (pre-2003) T/C and weld the flywheels and you have the best, most reliable motor Harley has ever built.

Last edited by Greezey Rider; 09-22-2018 at 11:54 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Greezey Rider:
Campy Roadie (09-22-2018), kkiley (10-17-2018), MTBIG G (09-23-2018)
Old 09-22-2018, 12:01 PM
ShadowforNow
Tourer
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by CndUltra95
There where even porous cases during the mid to early nineties .
Oil would seep through the cases and was found with a die and ultra violet light to locate the seepage.
All being equal they are reliable machines that if treated like a machine and not beaten they can and do run for many miles with basic repairs.
Rob
Seep through the steel itself rather than a gasket?

Originally Posted by badcooky
The TC is a POS the MOCO is hoping to forget.
Go to your local HD on Monday morning, have a look in there'll be mostly the TC POS in there being worked on because they have exploded the timing chest or scissored the crank or any of the over 30 recalls for the bucket of schit.
The Evo is a classic and has style and charisma the TC is just a POS.
I'd guess part of the reason most bikes in the shop are TC is due to there being more of them out there than EVOs.

Originally Posted by Kingglide549
The TC depending on the year with its mechanical problems for birth defects, it also has computers that will shut it dwn.
This is something I was looking for. Things about the early TC models other than mechanical and how it compares to EVO bikes. Do the early TC have more electronics on it's carbureted models compared to EVO bikes?

Originally Posted by Newharleylover
What I did notice is that out of all the bikes I've owned up to that point the Road King ran the hottest. Hot starts weren't pleasant at all!

The bike I have now is a different animal in my opinion. It runs cooler, it rides smoother, it's simpler to work on. I put 3500 miles on it since the end of May and the engine oil level hasn't dropped. I miss the 6 speed of the RKC however the sound of 3000-3200 rpm on the highway is music to my ears. OK it's 30 years old and some things need attention, none of which right now would produce a catastrophe. When riding season is over I'm going to tear into it and fix or replace the bothersome things and by spring it will be in the condition where I could ride anywhere any time for as long as I want.
Something I don't know is whether the TC runs hotter due to it actually running hotter or if the TC does a better job of dissipating heat, which then gives the impression of it running hotter.

I disagree and so do the HD engineers. Why do you think they went back to single cam? Btw, S&S motors are also single cam.
The purpose of the two cams in the TC bikes was for the sake of the motor co doing something different and having more to patent, if I'm not mistaken.

I read somewhere the S&S motors are available in single and twin cam editions and the power output is the same for both.

Originally Posted by Greezey Rider
Because so many Harley riders are too stupid to maintain the cam tensioners on a T/C.
The valve train geometry is way better on a T/C than on an EVO, Shovel or what have you.
The idea behind the T/C was to correct the angle of the pushrods in relation to the rockers (kind'a like the Sportsters have always been) and it worked very well.
Sadly the government stepped in and told them that they couldn't be gear driven because of noise level rules, so they did chain driven, which is quieter but requires some attention from time to time.

As I have said many times before, to my customers at the shop and on these forums, The EVO was a great platform and was one of the things that saved Harley from going out of business, But they are not the best motor Harley ever built.
Pop a set of gear driven cams in a (pre-2003) T/C and weld the flywheels and you have the best, most reliable motor Harley has ever built.
Its odd the government can step in and tell a manufacturer like HD they have to use chain driven rather than gear driven cams due to noise rules. I wonder how much of a difference the noise can be. Maybe HD just said the gov told them to use chain without it being true. Or perhaps overstating things, saying they can't meet the noise level rules with gear driven cams where they could if they really wanted to.

Geezey: Thanks for the great post.

Anyone know how much this would cost for gear driven cams and welding the flywheels, parts and labor?

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 09-30-2018 at 09:11 AM. Reason: Multiple posts
Old 09-22-2018, 12:28 PM
Super Glidester
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 17,581 Likes on 9,804 Posts

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
How about from Ohio to the Arctic Circle, twice on a Twin Cam? Bravery is in the eye of the beholder.

Yup, thats what the bikes look like in Alaska, spare fuel can, mud and all...I have no complaints about my Twinkie...

Last edited by Super Glidester; 09-22-2018 at 12:43 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Super Glidester:
Campy Roadie (09-22-2018), MTBIG G (09-23-2018)
Old 09-22-2018, 12:29 PM
Greezey Rider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,493 Likes on 1,073 Posts

Originally Posted by ShadowforNow
Its odd the government can step in and tell a manufacturer like HD they have to use chain driven rather than gear driven cams due to noise rules. I wonder how much of a difference the noise can be. Maybe HD just said the gov told them to use chain without it being true. Or perhaps overstating things, saying they can't meet the noise level rules with gear driven cams where they could if they really wanted to.

Geezey: Thanks for the great post.
The EPA makes these arbitrary rules.

The following users liked this post:
Campy Roadie (09-22-2018)

Quick Reply: Reliability/longevity of EVO vs. early Twin Cam