General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer Prep/Doc Fee

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 08:19 PM
Het
Banned
Received 100 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by barneyboy
How about a pic of the new King? A little snow in the background wouldn't hurt, seeing how the dealer's lot gets plowed all winter.
Attachment 619089

Old 02-07-2019, 08:51 PM
SluggoMagoo
Tourer
Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Het
Looks like a ski resort.

Old 02-07-2019, 08:58 PM
Het
Banned

Originally Posted by SluggoMagoo
Looks like a ski resort.
It is. Boston Mills, in the heart of a huge National Park by my house. Great place to ride. It's a very small ski resort, but a good place for locals to ski and snow board if they don't want to drive four hours to Peak N Peak in West Virginia.

Old 02-07-2019, 09:00 PM
Het
Banned

Originally Posted by chopper_man
Prep and Freight on a used 2014 bike? Hmmmm
Doc, freight, prep, whatever. I remember it was $390. Didn't happen.

Old 02-10-2019, 08:56 PM
Don Michigan
Cruiser
Received 92 Likes on 61 Posts

Great negotiating. Sweet looking bike.

Old 02-17-2019, 10:00 AM
purpledeuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 642 Likes on 377 Posts

The dealer is ripping you off with the prep fee. The prep is part of a new bike and is reimbursed to the dealer by the moco. I have never seen a used bike on a dealer floor that had been prepped again. What I have seen is old and worn tires, old fluids, incorrect tire pressures

for a few bucks more, get a 19, no miles and a full factory warranty

Old 02-17-2019, 10:45 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,577 Likes on 3,824 Posts

Originally Posted by JustMike
For Me - If the $25,300 had been acceptable out the door. I probably would have signed. Don't care what silly numbers they come up with to get there.
That is almost as good as my buddies wife commit. She was buying a need car and he ask her if it was OK to set in on the negotiating.

They had it down to long line of thoes silly numbers and a total. One was an advertisement and another a lot fee that my buddy was trying to get taken out of the total.

Salesman said they were fixed on total. Friend said it was a deal breaker. His wife said she was not leaving without her car.

So you know what happened. Interesting but that list and finial price where no where to be seen on the actual papers that came with car.

Here in VA, there is a standard contract for vehicle sales. It list what is legal. One fee on it is what most call a document fee. And of course tax, title , plates.

What they do is all that sillyness that they add on is just shown as the car then .

Most happy people do just as you said. And nothing wrong with doing that. Last two new vehicles I have purchased, I kept track of their sillyness and got checks backs after the purchase.

What is interesting is after complaning to DMV, and getting a check back, said it would not happen again.

Still happened again but this time, I simply showed the head manager where they were there so called mistakes. They had doubled VA sales tax, doc fee and plate fees. That new car dealership where crooks way past the typical salesman's add on BS. Ever their finiance man was a crook padding his bottom line. It happened again because I didn't add up their totals. They where down to the level of adding 2+2=5 . They finially contributed it to what I had put down I would pay that we all signed and agreed and then them adding it back in again by mistake to their sheet.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 02-17-2019 at 11:08 AM.
Old 02-17-2019, 11:48 AM
ole_phart
Road Master

Received 584 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by SluggoMagoo
Sorry I wasn't clear here. I thought the "Prep" and "Doc Fee" @ $950 was in retaliation to my discount. I think it's garbage charges. Does anybody else have input on this issue.
Yep. I don't care if they write up the bike on the bill of sale at a buck and charge me $20k prep and doc fee's. If the price out the door is what I'm looking for, it's a deal.

Old 02-17-2019, 12:14 PM
Steady Eddy
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by purpledeuce
The dealer is ripping you off with the prep fee. The prep is part of a new bike and is reimbursed to the dealer by the moco. I have never seen a used bike on a dealer floor that had been prepped again. What I have seen is old and worn tires, old fluids, incorrect tire pressures

for a few bucks more, get a 19, no miles and a full factory warranty
I worked for a local dealer for a little over a year. When trades came in, they were gone over by a technician using a checklist. No worn out tires or any other safety issue was neglected. Oil and filter changed. I was the last step....the detail guy. I spent 45 minutes to an hour making the bike look as good as possible. Some were easy, some a disaster. But the sales manager wouldn't have crappy looking bikes on the sales floor. Any that were really in rough shape was sent to the local auction.

The following users liked this post:
mazz (02-17-2019)
Old 02-17-2019, 01:20 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,220 Likes on 2,467 Posts

Originally Posted by Steady Eddy
..the detail guy. I spent 45 minutes to an hour making the bike look as good as possible. Some were easy, some a disaster. But the sales manager wouldn't have crappy looking bikes on the sales floor. Any that were really in rough shape was sent to the local auction.
it takes me 45 minutes to an hour just to do the front wheel. how the hell do you manage to do the whole bike, to showroom condition, in that time?

Quick Reply: Dealer Prep/Doc Fee