Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warranty Question

Old 02-08-2019, 07:15 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Club Member
Liked 1,018 Times in 712 Posts

Isn't there a Carfax for motorcycles, may not be called Carfax but similar in nature.

Just googled what I asked and you can poke around and find something by VIN.

Last edited by seniorsuperglideE8; 02-08-2019 at 07:18 PM.
Old 02-09-2019, 06:37 AM
GOV5
Road Master
Liked 130 Times in 103 Posts

Originally Posted by BobRR View Post
That surprises me because I would think that Harley Dealerships would want to know the accurate history for each bike that it takes in on trade.
The dealers don't need to know history. They just wholesale most of them anyway. On the newer model trade-ins, they can see the maintenance history in their computer systems, if not in the owners manual where the service records are kept.

Old 02-09-2019, 10:20 AM
tajar66
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts

Originally Posted by BobRR View Post
I am pretty sure that any work that was performed on the bike by a Harley Dealership, anywhere, is recorded in a common database that uses the VIN number as a primary key. If that is true, then any Harley Dealership should be able to put in the VIN number and get a complete record of all work performed. Work not performed by a authorized Harley Dealership would probably not be in that database.
that is what I thought as well but every dealship is independent there is not a common data base for service work. I just went through this on a 13 Ultraglide I bought used.

Old 02-09-2019, 11:00 AM
albngore
Road Master
Liked 41 Times in 29 Posts

This is just one more abuse of HD owners that HD practices. There is no "HIPPA" semblance here. What there is, is a ridiculous mistreatment of people for whom two wheels could be a death trap--or, at the least conscientious owners of expensive motorcycles left on the side of the road for no other reason than information was not available.

I have no clue what happens regarding other vehicles. I am willing to bet some money that Ford vehicles, serviced at a Ford dealer, have every visit logged into a vast database.

Old 02-09-2019, 06:49 PM
monkeyboy22
Outstanding HDF Member
Liked 153 Times in 92 Posts

Originally Posted by albngore View Post
This is just one more abuse of HD owners that HD practices. There is no "HIPPA" semblance here. What there is, is a ridiculous mistreatment of people for whom two wheels could be a death trap--or, at the least conscientious owners of expensive motorcycles left on the side of the road for no other reason than information was not available.

I have no clue what happens regarding other vehicles. I am willing to bet some money that Ford vehicles, serviced at a Ford dealer, have every visit logged into a vast database.
Are you referring to warranty work or COD work. If you're talking about COD (non-warranty) work, how much would you like to lose? I've worked at Chrysler GM, and Harley dealers and not one of the ones I worked at had access to a customer's repair history except for warranty work.

Old 02-09-2019, 06:57 PM
albngore
Road Master

How tough is it to record a VIN, scan whatever work order is involved and log it into a computer database? Is this not 2019? I don't care if it is warranty work or COD. Is there something sacred about work documentation on any vehicle? Is your privacy being violated by recording your work?

I am quite startled but not surprised by monkeyboy22's response. Not doubting his work testimonial about nobody recording any work history but for warranty work. Just astounded that he seems to justify this.

Old 02-10-2019, 07:28 AM
monkeyboy22
Outstanding HDF Member
Liked 153 Times in 92 Posts

albignore, I was just trying to clear things up from my perspective, definitely not trying to justify it. Each dealer keeps, or should keep records of their work orders whether it's warranty or COD work. And I think most of those records are only maintained for 10 years. There might be exceptions to that depending on what the state or the dealer's layers dictate..Every bike sold at a dealer, new or used, has that information "uploaded" to HD but, that's about as far as it goes concerning an accessible database.

The following users liked this post: monkeyboy22
albngore (02-10-2019)
Old 02-10-2019, 07:47 AM
Prot
Club Member
Liked 3,911 Times in 2,155 Posts

Since these newer bikes are loaded with computer wizardry it would be cool if they made an onboard data base of the bike's history.

Old 02-10-2019, 08:21 AM
albngore
Road Master

Prot,
That is just an excellent idea. Wonder why none of us ever thought of that before.

Old 02-10-2019, 08:48 AM
ieatchickens
Road Master
Liked 111 Times in 86 Posts

Originally Posted by hardheaded View Post
I would think that any dealer anywhere could pull the history by the Vin. number. I know in the auto dealer world they can and i don't see the bike world being any different.
I'm pretty sure this is correct. I was talking to the service manager of my local dealer (located in North Dakota) and he looked up the service history of my '96 Road King I bought five years ago.

He located two warranty service repair orders. The first was the prep and delivery of the bike in October of 1995 and the second was for replacing the main engine seal in early 96. Both came from a dealership in Tulsa, Oklahoma. The manager even game me the name of the original owner.

Last edited by ieatchickens; 02-10-2019 at 09:25 AM.

Search this Thread
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: