General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EZ Outs are USELESS!

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2019, 09:02 AM
Tired
Elite HDF Member
Received 4,457 Likes on 1,694 Posts

They can most definitely be a crapshoot. Over the years I have had much more success with the stubby style as opposed to the long, narrow and somewhat flexible ones.

Old 02-11-2019, 09:09 AM
vankaye
Cruiser
Received 56 Likes on 27 Posts

I can't say that I've ever had one fail me... somehow I've always managed the moxie to get that broken POS out!!

Patience and tenacity is the key. Also, quality ez outs. Nothing from HF or Homey Depot. Napa or a local tool supply house will
get you a better kit.

Old 02-11-2019, 02:55 PM
Cossack84
Tourer
Received 132 Likes on 82 Posts

Easy outs work just fine. Problem usually is the monkey behind the tool. Hope you get it fixed. It helps to stay calm and collected. If you are frustrated/mad your IQ drops as much as 30%, I don’t know about you, but I can’t afford that kind of loss only having 70 to begin with.
Take a break cool off rethink your approach then come back too it. Works out way better in the end.
Good luck.

Old 02-11-2019, 03:11 PM
Andy from Sandy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,736 Likes on 2,401 Posts

The moment you put you were trying to remove a broken exhaust stud I knew what was coming.

There is a proper tool for drilling through a stud and then re-tap the thread.

Old 02-11-2019, 04:58 PM
Indawynd
Elite HDF Member
Received 7,291 Likes on 2,749 Posts

Just about all tools have a job they were designed for. Get outside of that envelope and it gets dicey. Quality is where is at, as said.

I drill the hole with a left handed, that might bring it out, doubtful but has happened. Easy out, right size for the bolt, in the right size hole. The REAL secret is knowing when theory and reality collide. A easy out may NOT take the bolt out, period. Then I step the drill sizes up so I can gently get the hole as close to center as I can, ending at the trap drill size. Then you MIGHT be able to use the correct tap to peal the bolt threads out of the threads in the hole.

If all that fails then you are very close to the correct position of the hole so drill it for the tap drill size for a Helicoil and set one.

Broken bolts suck, some suck a LOT.

The following users liked this post:
Vipers Harley (09-04-2022)
Old 02-11-2019, 05:30 PM
username already exists
Cruiser
Received 57 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Lakerat
Using an Ez-out is like an art that takes care and patience. First thing is a 50/50 mix of acetone and ATF for penetrating oil.
Read what Lakerat said and believe it. THAT is THE penetrating fluid for any screw joint. Its been more than a decade since I read it, but there was an ASE study/experiment that tested various commercial penetrating oils in the lab. All the popular brands everyone swears by. They included this old homebrew concoction for laughs... and it outdid all the commercial stuff by a wide margin. Best part is you can make a gallon for about $10!

Old 02-11-2019, 05:39 PM
72 Ironhead XLH
Road Captain
Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

next time try drilling the correct size hole and use a allen wrench driven in slightly

Old 02-11-2019, 05:51 PM
kel03
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,044 Likes on 4,356 Posts

Never had an issue myself, it's all about patience. Saved me a few times. Like anything, usually the user unless you have junk tools.

Old 02-11-2019, 07:09 PM
Bob Blehead
Tourer
Received 51 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by vankaye
I can't say that I've ever had one fail me... somehow I've always managed the moxie to get that broken POS out!!

Patience and tenacity is the key. Also, quality ez outs. Nothing from HF or Homey Depot. Napa or a local tool supply house will
get you a better kit.
Dang, man. How big is your head?
Judging by the helmet in your sig pic...............

Old 02-11-2019, 08:11 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Bob Blehead
Dang, man. How big is your head?
Judging by the helmet in your sig pic...............
Good one.

Quick Reply: EZ Outs are USELESS!