Engine changeout - Harley Davidson Forums

Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine changeout

Old 02-11-2019, 09:31 PM
Mertoid
One Of The Regulars
Default Engine changeout

Posted this in the Touring section as well, but I'm hoping it might get a broader response here.
Engine swap tips
I'm getting ready to swap engines in my 2011 Street Glide. It has 107k miles and I got a great deal on a takeout 2015 103 with a stage 2 and only 8200 miles on it. After removing the primary, exhaust, intake and all the ancillary bits, unbolt the trans, it looks like it should be tipped one way or the other and come out the right side. What tips do you guys have to do this swap?

Last edited by Mertoid; 02-11-2019 at 09:32 PM.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:11 PM
ScottinAZ
Road Captain

sounds as if you have the right idea, but I would add that if you have access to a service manual to take a look at it. There are ways shown to support the trans with the engine separated, IIRC a strap from one side over the frame to the other, but I dont remember off hand the points used. other than that, Label what you need to disconnect, and keep track of all the small parts. Its a mechanical assembly, so as long as you take it apart, then you should be able to put it back together with little issues.

Old 02-11-2019, 10:35 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt
Thanked 1,519 Times in 931 Posts

Originally Posted by Mertoid View Post
Posted this in the Touring section as well, but I'm hoping it might get a broader response here.
Engine swap tips
I'm getting ready to swap engines in my 2011 Street Glide. It has 107k miles and I got a great deal on a takeout 2015 103 with a stage 2 and only 8200 miles on it. After removing the primary, exhaust, intake and all the ancillary bits, unbolt the trans, it looks like it should be tipped one way or the other and come out the right side. What tips do you guys have to do this swap?
Wrap the frame and rocker covers in blue painters tape to keep from scratching them.
Also wrap anything that might be scratched.

Old 02-11-2019, 10:35 PM
Mertoid
One Of The Regulars

I do have the factory service manual, I'll give it a good look tomorrow. I have seen posts where the trans is supported by either a strap or a block of wood.

Old 02-11-2019, 10:38 PM
Mertoid
One Of The Regulars

I have a number of pieces of split heater hose that I've used on race bike engine swaps in years past. Hope they're not too thick, otherwise I'll layer some tape on the frame tubes.

Old 02-11-2019, 10:38 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt
Thanked 1,519 Times in 931 Posts

Originally Posted by Mertoid View Post
I do have the factory service manual, I'll give it a good look tomorrow. I have seen posts where the trans is supported by either a strap or a block of wood.
When I pulled the motor on a TC (only did it once) I supported the trans with a thin bit of plywood.

Old 02-11-2019, 10:42 PM
Mertoid
One Of The Regulars

I found a post showing a setup using an engine hoist to lift. So I made a similar fixture to lift by the breather bolt holes.

Search this Thread
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: