General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H.O.G. Touring Rally Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2019, 10:29 PM
brycenator
Advanced
Received 34 Likes on 9 Posts
Default H.O.G. Touring Rally Questions

Hey folks - I can't seem to come up with the correct search terms to find this topic covered. I'm interested in attending a HOG Touring Rally this summer. Specifically, the Run To The Sun ride from Missoula up through Glacier, MT. I'm curious what these events are like? Seems like the information is sparse for some reason. I'm curious about things like:
  • Are they any fun?
  • How big are they? Hundreds, Thousands? Tens of Thousands?
  • Are they guided or just staged with specific starts and stop locations each day?
  • If they are guided, what's the pace like?
  • What goes on in the evenings?
Thanks for your insight!

Old 03-14-2019, 10:52 PM
giacomo56
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 145 Posts

Just checked out the HOG WEBSITE..... seems to me it’s a smaller regional HOG rally.... there is a Facebook page you can join for more information...
i bet a few thousand attendees...

Old 03-15-2019, 07:21 AM
Wowser
Road Warrior
Received 424 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by brycenator
Hey folks - I can't seem to come up with the correct search terms to find this topic covered. I'm interested in attending a HOG Touring Rally this summer. Specifically, the Run To The Sun ride from Missoula up through Glacier, MT. I'm curious what these events are like? Seems like the information is sparse for some reason. I'm curious about things like:
  • Are they any fun?
  • How big are they? Hundreds, Thousands? Tens of Thousands?
  • Are they guided or just staged with specific starts and stop locations each day?
  • If they are guided, what's the pace like?
  • What goes on in the evenings?
Thanks for your insight!
Whatre the dates for that?

Old 03-15-2019, 08:43 PM
giacomo56
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 145 Posts

Here you go....
https://www.harley-davidson.com/us/e...er-events.html

all the H.O.G. RALLY’S IN THE US.

Old 03-16-2019, 11:27 AM
GaJayhawk
Tourer
Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

I've been on about 10 HOG Touring rallies in the last 15 years. One 15 days long, several 10 or so days, and a several more 3 to 5 days long. The details of the rallies have changed over that time. National HOG used to manage the rides directly, and Willie G and other corporate HD guys would attend all of part of the ride. In recent years, however, the organization of the rides has been handed off to Eagle Rider in partnership with HOG. But, the nature of the rallies has remained about the same. They are not "parade rides". There is a kickoff meeting at the ride origin, which is sometimes a breakfast, or a dinner the night before. These rides aren't lead by a ride captain or leader, nor are they swept by anyone following up behind you. Well before the ride, you are given a packet of information about the ride, which includes a ride schedule and the destination for each day. You are usually given a route guide that includes several POI's along the way. Sometimes the ride package includes entry tickets to museums, or historical sites, or other worthwhile stops along the way. Usually you are given a couple of different "suggested routes", but you are free to customize it any which way you want. Some folks start early, some late. Some ride fast, others don't. Some ride in small groups, some ride solo. So, the rally riders spreads out many miles, and on some days, you may not see but a few other riders, and that typically is at a POI stop. Along the way, evenings are generally organized around the dealership in the destination city for that day. Sometimes meals are catered, sometimes meals are burgers/hot dogs cooked by the local HOG Chapter. In some cases, there have been big dinner events coordinated with a local sponsor. You can do your own hotel accommodations, or you can use HOG's booking service and organize it all with one phone call or web visit. It's pretty simple. Riders typically stay at several different hotels/motels at each overnight stop; usually ranging from Motel 6's to Hilton's. In most cases, after the day's events, there is a bar somewhere in town that attracts a lot of the riders. After the first night or two, you'll recognize the same faces...

The largest ride I've been on was around 450 bikes. Typically, they are in the 150 to 250 bike range. Probably 25% are two-ups. I've gone to these rallies by myself, and with small groups. Over the years I've met several riders from around the country who, like me, have been on several of these. Often you'll spend a day or two of the trip riding with them. Other days you can ride solo, or with whomever you wish.

It is a pretty easy way to tour an area with a little of the prep work done for you.

The following users liked this post:
MacTarnahan (03-17-2019)
Old 03-17-2019, 05:25 PM
brycenator
Advanced
Received 34 Likes on 9 Posts

GaJayhawk - Thanks so much for your response. Very helpful. This was exactly what I was hoping to hear.

Old 03-18-2019, 01:40 PM
merlin 2
Tourer

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts

most of the time there is a wright in the H O G mag.