General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Tender Tech Tip

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 09:47 PM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,563 Likes on 1,082 Posts

Originally Posted by LQQK_OUT
One of the features that's missing from the Battery Tender is a power switch. There is no way to turn off the Battery Tender besides pulling the power cord from the electrical outlet. I like to occasionally power down my Battery Tender for a variety of different reasons, for instance:
1. When I disconnect the charging connector from the motorcycle
2. If I'm away from the house for an extended period of time

A 3-Wire Grounded Switch Tap with ON/OFF Button will allow one to easily power down their Battery Tender. These should be available from the big box stores or your local hardware store.

https://www.leviton.com/en/products/1470-w
Originally Posted by 99Birdman
And I would think that would be one of the reasons to have a battery tender to begin with.

Who would have thunk?
Maybe I'm in the minority, but during the warmer months, I don't keep my motorcycle constantly connected to my Battery Tender. I'm either riding them, or I may keep a bike on the tender for only a couple of days to top off the battery. I guess I didn't think that was so unusual. Plus an older bike doesn't have the parasitic drain on a battery like a more modern one does.

Old 03-19-2019, 09:55 PM
99Birdman
Extreme HDF Member

Received 27,702 Likes on 9,179 Posts

Maybe I'm in the minority, but during the warmer months, I don't keep my motorcycle constantly connected to my Battery Tender. I'm either riding them, or I may keep a bike on the tender for only a couple of days to top off the battery. I guess I didn't think that was so unusual. Plus an older bike doesn't have the parasitic drain on a battery like a more modern one does.
Absolutely no problem with that philosophy. However, I have to believe that, for cost reasons, the mfg might not have included an off switch when there is no reason not to leave it connected to begin with.

The following 2 users liked this post by 99Birdman:
JayStronghawk (03-23-2019), tar_snake (03-22-2019)
Old 03-19-2019, 10:03 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,481 Likes on 1,540 Posts

I have three plugged in to a power strip and another two plugged into another power strip all the time. The one that goes to the bike i can switch off with my toe and then unplug the bike. Or i can just bend over and unplug the thing. Way overthinking this simple thing.

The following users liked this post:
tar_snake (03-22-2019)
Old 03-20-2019, 02:04 AM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,210 Likes on 1,380 Posts

You're not wrong,OP.

Old 03-20-2019, 05:32 AM
tcarille
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

There any reason not to use a smart charger ? From what I understand they only charge when needed , and do not need to be unplugged. If I'm wrong on this someone let me know..

Old 03-20-2019, 06:13 AM
KYRGultra
Road Master
Received 489 Likes on 306 Posts

My thinking is like yours--not absolutely necessary to keep the BT plugged up all the time during riding season. Also, I very seldom start my bike and run any short errands so, usually, when I ride out of the garage my bike won't get shut off for at least 30-45 minutes. And I have just gotten into the habit of when I get home I ride into the garage and pull up to where my BT is sitting on a piece of wood (sometimes in heavy rains my garage floor gets a little wet) on the garage floor so I just go ahead and plug it up. Now, if I'm pretty sure I will be riding out again later in the day or evening I may not plug it up then but even if I'm not planning on going back out today but plan on riding tomorrow I will plug in the BT. The BT is good insurance.

Old 03-20-2019, 06:36 AM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,139 Likes on 5,591 Posts

I leave mine plugged in all the time. I unplug the tender at the pig tail on the bike then plug it back in at the end of the ride and yes even in the warm months. My battery life has almost doubled since I started doing this. With a bagger I was lucky to get 3-4 years out of a battery before. Now I get 6-7 years out of a battery.

JayStronghawk (03-23-2019)
Old 03-20-2019, 06:49 AM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,997 Likes on 2,815 Posts

Originally Posted by nevil
I have 3 tenders plugged into a power strip. Can be bought cheap anywhere and they have an on/off switch. However there's downside. If someone accidentally switches it off, all 3 vehicles could have the batteries get real low or dead. Hypothetically, of course.
In that case you'd have three motorcycles with electrical problem and you should probably find the parasitic draw on each. I'm just sayin'.

Old 03-20-2019, 06:49 AM
Greezey Rider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,493 Likes on 1,073 Posts

Originally Posted by tcarille
There any reason not to use a smart charger ? From what I understand they only charge when needed , and do not need to be unplugged. If I'm wrong on this someone let me know..
You mean......Something like a Battery Tender?

The following 2 users liked this post by Greezey Rider:
lh4x4 (03-25-2019), tar_snake (03-22-2019)
Old 03-20-2019, 07:29 AM
MilsurpShooter
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 17,796 Likes on 6,366 Posts

Originally Posted by HiDrag
I always just disconnect my home from the power grid.
Sure, the food rots, but I know the tender is off.
Gotta flip the giant 'off' switch at the local power plant, just to be sure.

tar_snake (03-22-2019)

Quick Reply: Battery Tender Tech Tip