General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension Tuning

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 05:38 AM
pgarbac
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Suspension Tuning

I got a suspension question for anyone who can answer it. I recently acquired a set of racetech G3S shocks (IFP) with rebound adjustment. Now I’m a little new to suspension, and I understand setting sag and adjusting preload, but the rebound adjustment has thrown me off. I’ve tried searching the internet, but it seems everyone has different answers or terms to describe it and is confusing me more. I understand it’s how fast or slow the shocks returns to normal after a bump, but can someone explain to me when I should “slow” or “speed” it up? Mind, I don’t have the shocks yet, but just getting an idea of adjusting when I do get them.

Old 03-20-2019, 05:45 AM
SWThomas
Stellar HDF Member
Received 993 Likes on 590 Posts

I would set them right in the middle of the adjustment. Go out and ride. If it’s too stiff, go with a lighter setting. If it’s too soft, go with a stiffer setting. You’ll find what you like eventually.

Old 03-20-2019, 08:26 AM
Kenny94945
Stellar HDF Member
Received 329 Likes on 287 Posts

I'll bite
If bumps are far apart you want slow rebound. Smooths transition so bike yaw is more invisible.
If bumps are near each other you want fast rebound. Help ensure full suspension travel is always available.

FWIW
This is for a street Harley?
Just set in the middle as suggested and adjust to what you think feels good for most roads you travel.
I highly doubt you make adjustments for each ride, depending on your destination.
Suspension is art (experience), science (graphs & measurements) and feel (rider preferences).
Oil weight and amount of nitrogen charge can make bigger difference than hi and low rebound compression adjustments.
Then there is spring rate and progression.
Seems you have a grasp of sag (static setup).
Again, just set in the middle as suggested and adjust to what you think feels good.
Have fun.

The following users liked this post:
bentparts (03-20-2019)
Old 03-20-2019, 02:43 PM
pgarbac
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the replies! Sometimes explaining it simply helps the most! Appreciate it. Still lots for me to learn

Old 03-23-2019, 08:09 PM
Scottyxbones
Cruiser
Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Tuning your suspension is a balance of several factors, first, your weight and the bike's weight, second the road surface that you ride on, and third how aggressive you ride, these 3 factors will determine how much force your suspension will have to manage.

If your rebound is set too soft your bike will encounter several bumps that further compress the suspension without enough time for it to reset. For your rear rebound it may feel like its squatting then bottoming out. If rebound is too stiff it'll feel like a bucking Broncos, the rear will come up real quick after a bump.

Old 03-24-2019, 11:34 AM
71on72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,249 Likes on 8,514 Posts

Originally Posted by Scottyxbones
Tuning your suspension is a balance of several factors, first, your weight and the bike's weight, second the road surface that you ride on, and third how aggressive you ride, these 3 factors will determine how much force your suspension will have to manage.

If your rebound is set too soft your bike will encounter several bumps that further compress the suspension without enough time for it to reset. For your rear rebound it may feel like its squatting then bottoming out. If rebound is too stiff it'll feel like a bucking Broncos, the rear will come up real quick after a bump.
Courious. Are you any relation to Bones the suspension expert at Pro Circuit?

Old 03-24-2019, 02:44 PM
Scottyxbones
Cruiser
Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 71on72
Courious. Are you any relation to Bones the suspension expert at Pro Circuit?
Thank you but no I just have a bad back, an analytic mind and a love for riding motorcycles

The following users liked this post:
71on72 (03-24-2019)