General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD Ride Planner

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2019, 08:32 PM
jimmiedwad
Intermediate
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by penmaker
Your 2018 has the older infotainment and you can't download from your phone, you have to use the flash drive. in 2019 they upgraded the infotainment and you can download from you phone.
I have a usb that will plug into my phone. I cant get a map to load from my phone to the flash drive. Thanks for the info

Old 05-22-2019, 07:52 PM
pt4u2nv
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thinking of going up 31 along the East side of the lake but it look like it could be a little slow going. I have been spending the last few days experimenting with the ride planner and the GPS on the bike and it seems to be working pretty good.. Had some issues at first but I am finding out it is very sensitive with getting your waypoints EXACTLY where they nee to be on the roads or it will send you off course. I have been loading 150 mile or so trips and have running them every day to test things out. . I also hooked up my Zumo at the same time just to compare their actions and it is pretty consistent between the two. I am starting to understand what you need to do when it gets off track by just skipping the next waypoint to stop it from trying to reroute you back to where you missed a waypoint. Anyway it is going OK but we are leaving next week so I have to finish planning the routes and get them imported.

By the way I am planning on running RT 2 once we get across the bridge and then going down to the museum on I think it was 41 before heading to ND

Old 05-23-2019, 08:44 PM
nycruiserman
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Set up a ride plan from home to Alexandria, VA for the Rolling Thunder this weekend. When I took the USB out to the bike (16 ultra limited low) it had split my trip into 5-6 mini trips. What do I do with this now?!?! It's my first time using the ride planner as the bike is new to me this year. Will they run in sequence? Will they only be from one stop to the next? Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Old 05-23-2019, 09:20 PM
hairymoth
Road Warrior
Received 1,226 Likes on 421 Posts

I have a 2017 Road Glide Special. I use Ride Planner (RP) a lot. I'm not sure what year models started interfacing with the app (2019??), but with my bike I need to use the USB. It works well,

Here are some tips.
1. I have found RP works much better with the MS Edge browser on windows. Firefox (and Waterfox) bog down.. I would never use Chrome (I use the google search engine, I won't use any other google products.)
2. The bike and RP use different routing algorithms. The bike will take shortcuts you did not intend, and that will waste your time. In the attached picture, I need to put a way-point on the main road, otherwise my bike will take me down that ridiculous side street (Seymour), which is about 15 yards shorter, but is: practically dirt, very narrow and has a stop sign at the end. When planning routes, I look for situations like this (where the bike might try to find a shortcut) and drop a way-point around it.
3. Zoom in and check that your way-points are where you want them (on the road). If, for example, you put it on the wrong side of a divided highway, or off the road, slightly closer to a small side street, your bike will take you on a detour.
4. I leave the bike in the accessory position when filling up. that way I have a map as I pull away and it avoids other issues.
5. The Starting Point should not be the actual starting point, chose a location at least 1/4 mile away. The bike actually navigates to the starting point and it gets confused if you are already there.

The following 2 users liked this post by hairymoth:
nycruiserman (06-05-2019), Srodden (05-28-2019)
Old 05-28-2019, 07:42 PM
Srodden
Intermediate
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I’m having a rerouting issue on all trips. When importing to the bike do you select all ? I am not currently

Old 05-28-2019, 07:55 PM
hairymoth
Road Warrior
Received 1,226 Likes on 421 Posts

Originally Posted by Srodden
I’m having a rerouting issue on all trips. When importing to the bike do you select all ? I am not currently
Yes.. Select all. I have never selected anything other. I suspect that if you were to have created a ride with 3 destinations, and you only select 2, it would skip the one you did not select. But I have not tried that.

The following users liked this post:
Srodden (05-29-2019)
Old 06-01-2019, 08:33 AM
Srodden
Intermediate
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by hairymoth
Yes.. Select all. I have never selected anything other. I suspect that if you were to have created a ride with 3 destinations, and you only select 2, it would skip the one you did not select. But I have not tried that.
That was the problem all along thanks. I’ve done everything else like adding waypoints ,zooming in to make sure waypoint is on road etc. but apparently it was only importing the first leg of each trip. This would cause rerouting back after passing first location or waypoint.

Old 06-01-2019, 02:21 PM
BuzzCap7
Received 18,326 Likes on 10,702 Posts

Originally Posted by pt4u2nv
Anyone out there use the HD Ride Planer and import your trip into the HD Infotainment center.. been playing with a little and it seems to work quite well. planning a trip right now from Pa to ND up thru Michigan to the Makinaw bridge , out RT 2 down to Harley Museum then on to ND. Last 4 states we need yet to complete our goal to ride to all the lower 48.

I have been trying to plan short trips on the Ride Planner then import and see how well it travels my chosen routes.. So far all is good but would like to hear from you that have used it and how well it worked.

I have a 2018 TriGlide .
Years back I used to use that one along with the Honda TripThingy and they were both very good.
Easy to use, easy to download etc. so I would give it all thumbs up for sure.

For most of the last decade I have been using the GRAMIN Basecamp. Other than the time it takes to learn how to use it, it has been a great program and has become the only one I use now.

The one you are using is definitely good. And if I did not have a choice and had to use the Harley one, I would be happy with that.

The only thing I would caution you on which I think you may already know, is when you use via points, you want to make sure you are on the correct side of the road. Meaning, if you click a via point on what you think is I 90 West bound and it looks perfect but accidentally actually click on I 90 east bound, that is going to screw you up a bit. I do not remember with the Harley program but definitely with the Garmin program when I am finished mapping my trip, I "run it" where this little arrowhead goes my entire route and I watch it. If that arrowhead does a 360° turn around, or something weird, then I know I accidentally clicked on the wrong side of the road.

I hope that makes sense my friend.