General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD Ride Planner

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2019, 10:36 PM
pt4u2nv
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default HD Ride Planner

Anyone out there use the HD Ride Planer and import your trip into the HD Infotainment center.. been playing with a little and it seems to work quite well. planning a trip right now from Pa to ND up thru Michigan to the Makinaw bridge , out RT 2 down to Harley Museum then on to ND. Last 4 states we need yet to complete our goal to ride to all the lower 48.

I have been trying to plan short trips on the Ride Planner then import and see how well it travels my chosen routes.. So far all is good but would like to hear from you that have used it and how well it worked.

I have a 2018 TriGlide .

The following users liked this post:
BuzzCap7 (06-01-2019)
Old 05-17-2019, 07:24 AM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,152 Likes on 720 Posts
The following users liked this post:
Skip2Ride (05-21-2019)
Old 05-17-2019, 07:48 AM
Grateful Fred
Intermediate
Received 30 Likes on 11 Posts

Enjoy your ride through Michigan. I75 is beautiful and smooth sailing once you get further north, assuming you're not fighting the weekend warriors. Make sure to check out highway 2, it rides along the north side of Lake Michigan, there's some great views there. Also, plenty of beautiful country roads in da U.P.

Old 05-18-2019, 01:44 AM
painey
Road Warrior
Received 205 Likes on 103 Posts

I use the Harley Ride Planner for all my routes and then use the HD app to pass it to my bike, much easier then using the memory stick process It will split the ride up if you have designated stops on your route but once you know that its no big deal

Old 05-18-2019, 11:22 AM
Sparkee...
Road Master
Received 226 Likes on 142 Posts

For some reason the Harley Ride Planner app is only available in the US. I was able to work around it using a Store 'n' Go USB thumb drive with both a Lightning and USB connection since I only travel with an iPhone and an iPad. Even though Apple has the file system fairly locked down in iOS it is possible to "Share" the GPX file from Safari to the USB drive using the Store 'n' Go app. It will not work with the iPhone since the Ride Planner web site just directs you to use the app, which you can not download here in Canada.

I will probably use CarPlay for the most part to display Waze or Google Maps. However since the cubby hole is too small to fit the iPhone 7+ it will be a good option when it starts to rain. And if the work flow turns out to be relatively simple and quick I may skip CarPlay all together. I loaded over 7700 songs on another thumb drive and I was surprised how well the HD head unit was able to organize the files into Song, Artists, Album and Genre categories on it's own.

Old 05-18-2019, 09:22 PM
jimmiedwad
Intermediate
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by painey
I use the Harley Ride Planner for all my routes and then use the HD app to pass it to my bike, much easier then using the memory stick process It will split the ride up if you have designated stops on your route but once you know that its no big deal
Would you be willing to tell me how you get the maps off your phone? I can't figure this part out.

Old 05-18-2019, 09:24 PM
jimmiedwad
Intermediate

Medora and the musical are good stops if you're heading to the west side of the state.

Old 05-19-2019, 07:36 PM
painey
Road Warrior
Received 205 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmiedwad
Would you be willing to tell me how you get the maps off your phone? I can't figure this part out.
Once you have the routes created in the Ride Planner and can see them in the app, turn on your bike and in the Nav section click on the HD app icon. It will say downloading list, once complete it will show you a list of routes from the app.

Click on the one you are interested in, it will then build the routes in the GTS, this is an important step.

Then go to the second Nav screen and select 'Rides', here you will find your routes, if you have multiple stops on your route the GTS will split up your route in a number of different rides, they are named the same except with a 1,2,3 etc at the end. Select which ride you want to take it will load, it will give the normal 4 options just in case you want to change your mind...lol

Old 05-19-2019, 08:00 PM
penmaker
Road Master
Received 441 Likes on 220 Posts

Your 2018 has the older infotainment and you can't download from your phone, you have to use the flash drive. in 2019 they upgraded the infotainment and you can download from you phone.

The following 2 users liked this post by penmaker:
hairymoth (05-23-2019), jimmiedwad (05-19-2019)
Old 05-19-2019, 08:30 PM
jimmiedwad
Intermediate

Originally Posted by painey
Once you have the routes created in the Ride Planner and can see them in the app, turn on your bike and in the Nav section click on the HD app icon. It will say downloading list, once complete it will show you a list of routes from the app.

Click on the one you are interested in, it will then build the routes in the GTS, this is an important step.

Then go to the second Nav screen and select 'Rides', here you will find your routes, if you have multiple stops on your route the GTS will split up your route in a number of different rides, they are named the same except with a 1,2,3 etc at the end. Select which ride you want to take it will load, it will give the normal 4 options just in case you want to change your mind...lol
Thanks I will try this way. So far all I get is no media to download

Quick Reply: HD Ride Planner