General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sirius XM

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2019, 10:35 AM
ccessna
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sirius XM

I had the Sirius XM head end installed on my '16 RG Special. The antenna was already (removed) and hidden in the fairing. Reception is terrible and continues to jump in and out of service. Anyone experience this? Should I re-install the antenna? Reception on FM channels is also very limited. Thanks..

Old 06-09-2019, 11:01 AM
06Ultraman
Road Captain
Received 61 Likes on 44 Posts

I installed in my 19rgs with the provided button antenna that sits on a small platform right under the top of the fairing on left side from the rider's perspective. Reception is good. It even continues sometimes when I pull in the garage. Tall tree lined roads are sometimes a problem.

Old 06-09-2019, 11:02 AM
ccessna
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you..

Old 06-09-2019, 11:22 AM
FrankEV
Road Warrior
Received 799 Likes on 500 Posts

I believe the Sirius XM module uses a separate antenna, similar to what the GPS uses, and doesn't utiilize the AM/FM Antenna as it is looking at a satalite signal and not a radio AM or FM signal. The antenna is a little square block on the end of a thin cable and usualy gets mounted with double stick tape to a special mounting bracket that gets installed at the same time the module is installed. You need to verify this antenna is present and installed properly. Your Sirius XM module antenna may need to be relocated/remounted as it may be blocked by something under the fairing. I believe the satalite signal can be seen by the antenna under the fiberglas fairing but metal could some how be interfering.

The only time you should lose satalite signal is when going under an overpass, when riding under dense trees, in the car wash (opps that happens in my car) or if under that big black storm cloud.

BTW, the under fairing hidden AM/FM antenna (made from old fashion double wire antennal wire) is a joke and you need to be parked in the radio stations transmitter parking lot to get any kind of decent reception. Using a H-D Shorty AM/FM antenna reception is better but not great.

If you figure it out, please follow up with a report on what was causing the bad Sirius XM reception and what was done to resolved it..

Old 06-09-2019, 09:19 PM
mo cajun
Road Captain
Received 134 Likes on 83 Posts

I use mine of my phone app and it sits in the glove box of fairing and have no issues

Old 06-10-2019, 08:36 AM
Dieselss
Cruiser
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Sirius needs the antenna facing up with no obstructions.
I have it on my truck, only time I lose it is underpasses (occasionally) or when there is snow covering it.

Old 06-10-2019, 08:56 AM
Ashnic
Road Warrior
Received 270 Likes on 107 Posts

I had mine under the fairing a few weeks ago and reception was not much better then the fm radio on the boom. I removed it and put on top of the inner fairing..been pulling 3 bars since and no loss of reception other then going under overpass or bridge..

Old 06-10-2019, 09:07 AM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,805 Likes on 6,217 Posts

I had a temporary set-up on my bagger, so the "antenna" was exposed (with a magnet). I stuck it on something metal that I wouldn't scratch. I would only lose the signal occasionally if I was deep in the mountains.

Old 06-10-2019, 12:43 PM
GSHOG
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

After dealing with the same reception issue I relocated my XM antenna to the top of the inner fairing, situated just beside the fairing vent control ('14 Ultra Classic). It made a noticeable improvement in signal strength and greatly improved performance.

Old 06-10-2019, 01:44 PM
TexasMotorcycleRider
Grand HDF Member
Received 666 Likes on 443 Posts

I was determined to keep my XM antenna under the fairing and had installed the bracket on the left side (facing the bike) and it worked fine, until I put my metal windshield trim on. It was either lose the metal trim or move the antenna on the dash. I made a small groove in the fairing and mounted next to the vent on the throttle side, no issues since. You don't have to make a groove but it smashes the antenna wire if you don't. Mine worked but I didn't like the fact that the antenna wire was being crushed so got a round file and made a nice little cutout for the antenna wire.

Quick Reply: Sirius XM