General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buffalo Chip OR Glencoe

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2019, 03:43 PM
CalypsoNotch93
Road Master
Received 98 Likes on 70 Posts
Default Buffalo Chip OR Glencoe

This year will be my first time going to Sturgis. Staying Sunday-Friday. I already have my passes for the Chip. I'm 31 years old (actually turning 32 while there), will be riding there and staying in a tent. I'd like to stay where the wildest party is. I've always thought that was the Chip but I keep reading that Glencoe is better and the chip has gotten tame so I'm considering staying there instead. I still plan on going to the concerts at the chip then leaving and going back to Glencoe to carry on with the party until around 3am. Is this a good idea? or will the party at Glencoe be over with by the time the concerts at the Chip are done?

What would you do in this situation? Stay at the chip since I already have my passes? or Stay at glencoe and just go to the chip for the concerts? The shade at Glencoe is sounding pretty nice too. Might make it easier to catch a afternoon nap.

Old 06-16-2019, 04:26 PM
Hasher
Road Captain
Received 331 Likes on 180 Posts

I haven’t been to Glencoe because I’ve had so much fun at the Chip.

Old 06-16-2019, 04:32 PM
01dyna
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2,013 Likes on 655 Posts

I've stayed at both and both are great campgrounds. If it were me, since you've already bought the BC wristband I'd stay at BC and maybe hit glencoe next time. There will be enough going on you won't get bored.

Old 06-16-2019, 04:39 PM
MiniWolf
Received 4,688 Likes on 2,258 Posts

Both spots are really giant trailer parks with entertainment and onsite amenities.You will be the minority in a tent. I have ridden to Sturgis five times and always tent camp. This year I am staying at Custer in a black hills park.

As a tent camper, I would ask the following:

--Do you want to get any sleep?
--Are you bothered by the sounds of bikes revving the living **** out their engines at all hours of the day?
--Are you concerned that someone in a drunken stupor might wander randomly to and fro in the dark trying to find his site and end up stepping on your inside your tent?

If the answer to either of these is yes, then my advice is neither.

Stay at a more subdued campground catering to tents and take the shuttles or ride to the chip or Glencoe for the concerts. There is Days End at the other side of Sturgis or a spot like Katmandu on the other side of the highway. Katmandu has shuttles. If you want to party hard take the shuttles. Getting around on a bike when the party ramps up in the evening is a total mess and not fun.

Again, as a tent camper who rides out, you will be the minority at Buffalo Chip or Glencoe.

The following users liked this post:
Haarley (06-16-2019)
Old 06-16-2019, 05:40 PM
e6fmf
Road Master
Received 125 Likes on 85 Posts
Default The chip.

First. I can understand your excitement to ride there. I have ridden from Parris Island and back. The ride up is always the easiest. Be ready for all weather conditions. Do you work full time? On a schedule? That may make it a bit harder. The distance. For me, 1900 miles one way. Three long, hard days in the saddle. Got there to stay long enough to lay on my back for 3 days to get ready for another 3 long, hard days back. If you have the time, great. Both places are very good. Ask yourself. Will I be able to tour the hills? See other sites? Then try to get some sleep. Black Hills can have all 4 seasons in one day, be prepared. You will have a wonderful time. Then there is the ride home, always seems longer and not so pleasant, plus now you have a red, chaffed ***, raining like all hell, and you have to get home in time to go back to work. That is what you will remember about your trip. But alas, come April next year you'll be chomping at the bit, ready to do it all over again. As for me? I've been going for 28 rallys straight, come April every year, I am chomping at the bit, just not riding out anymore. Enjoy your planning and prep time, it's part of the big picture. Ride safe and sober. I'll see you there, I'll be riding the Harley Bagger.

The following 2 users liked this post by e6fmf:
Haarley (06-16-2019), mtgriz (06-17-2019)
Old 06-16-2019, 05:48 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,269 Likes on 1,975 Posts

When a friend of mine and I went, we wanted to get as much out of our trip as we could so we camped at the Chip part of the time. We had a pass to come and go as we pleased and it worked great because we could take in any of the concerts that we wanted to and at the end of the evening, we could just walk back to our tent and call it a night but to each their own.

Old 06-16-2019, 07:38 PM
mo cajun
Road Captain
Received 134 Likes on 83 Posts

If you have the pass do the Chip

Old 06-16-2019, 08:14 PM
DanHappy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,419 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Which has the better adult party for fun? If the Ozo isn't into that, then pick the other.

Easy. Lol

Old 06-17-2019, 08:20 AM
E8USMCRET
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 20,250 Likes on 6,546 Posts

I stay at the Lamphere Ranch which is right next door to Glencoe. You can walk next door to Glencoe and take in the party then at least go back to your tent and get a few hours before you do it all over again. BC is probably less than a mile away or so.

Old 06-17-2019, 03:59 PM
MiniWolf
Received 4,688 Likes on 2,258 Posts

Originally Posted by DanHappy
Which has the better adult party for fun? If the Ozo isn't into that, then pick the other.

Easy. Lol
It can be easy to have a skewed perspective on what the adult party entails. There are concerts and tons of things to see and do. Alcohol flows abundantly. You can have a fun time in general. But beyond that I think people shape their opinions based on TV programs. Most of the rally-goers at Sturgis are composed of upper middle-aged or retirees in RV's and mobile homes. Most of those scantily clad hotties you see working the bars are paid to fly in to work for tips and are not there because they are attracted to the event itself..There is no nudity or hooter flashing anywhere on public areas and streets where there are police(pretty much everywhere in public). At a few private venues like the chip or glencoe there is hooter flashing and such here and there but what what is being flashed is more likely than not to cause you to lose your appetite and lose interest in the thought for quite some time. Just keeping it real.

Quick Reply: Buffalo Chip OR Glencoe