General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got hit....

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2019, 07:45 PM
gmilkman
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Got hit....

Tuesday this week, I did get hit by a cager....first time and I feel extremely lucky. Commute traffic, 15 - 20 mph and he darted into my lane, no warning...i.e. head movement, a little creep, turn signal etc...just came over. I remember saying No! Then F! and then I was on the ground...I did lay still checking myself, wiggling toes and fingers etc resisting the urge to check on my bike...and eventually rolled over on my back and after a short time was able to get to my feet...wearing a mesh riding jacket with pads at the elbow and shoulder, redwing boots, FF helmet, gloves and jeans....extremely lucky, scraps on knees, jacket was scuffed, my left side still hurts today, but each day a bit less....

‘Fortunately the driver, young guy, admitted to basically God and everyone, including CHP that he didn’t look when he changed lanes...very sorry and truth be told, I wasn’t mad at him, happy to be in one piece.

I did look at where I went down and saw no fluid and the bike started up once I got it home...the pic below is of the damage...from my once over, pretty superficial. I plan on putting it up on the stand this weekend to give it a thorough inspection but so far, still no fluids on the garage floor and I’ve been starting it up and letting run for about 5 minutes nightly, checking oil level (hasn’t changed)
Question for you all...any advantages to taking into the dealer for a once over? Not sure what they would do differently. Thanks in advance for the advice...

Old 06-21-2019, 07:56 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,964 Likes on 1,715 Posts

Glad you’re ok. Wouldn’t you want to take it to a dealer for the insurance estimate list of parts anyway?

The following 3 users liked this post by dawg:
fxdup (06-22-2019), soldierbot (06-22-2019), Wizardofaus (06-21-2019)
Old 06-21-2019, 07:59 PM
rwtrick
Road Captain
Received 267 Likes on 82 Posts

Aren’t you filing an insurance claim? What about the guy that hit you - doesn’t he have some responsibility? Were the police called? It looks like your crash bar is damaged - there is a possibility your frame is bent. I went down going about 35 miles per hour, bike ran, cosmetic damage - almost $10,000 to get everything back to the way it was. I hope you didn’t just drive away. Anyway - I would definitely have the bike check by a mechanic.

The following users liked this post:
Wizardofaus (06-21-2019)
Old 06-21-2019, 08:03 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,668 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Sorry you stacked, but glad you came out ok.

My $0.02: The name of the game from here is soaking the other guy's insurance for all they're worth.

Get the bike to the dealer and have them write up everything. Everything.

Get yourself to a doctor and get checked out. If it hurts today and didn't hurt before the accident, it goes on the chart.

Last edited by 0maha; 06-21-2019 at 11:06 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by 0maha:
Curt1953 (06-22-2019), Ricky2Guns (06-21-2019), Zonktified (06-22-2019)
Old 06-21-2019, 08:04 PM
OlAndrew
Road Captain
Received 231 Likes on 143 Posts

YES! That has to go to the dealer and they will go over it with the insurance adjuster. They're used to looking at wrecks and can spot things you'ld never think of. Be sure they include your gear, too. That's gonna be a new jacket and helmet, at least. That crash bar hit the ground pretty hard. If the mounting tabs are tweaked, that's gonna be a total. Be prepared this is all gonna take some time. DO NOT ride it or attempt your own repairs until the insurance people have at it. Less room for weaseling out of things, that way. Sucks, but that's what it is.

The following 3 users liked this post by OlAndrew:
Curt1953 (06-22-2019), Wizardofaus (06-21-2019), Zonktified (06-22-2019)
Old 06-21-2019, 08:07 PM
Ricky2Guns
Tourer
Received 376 Likes on 172 Posts

First off, On the serious side, Sorry to hear you had to go through this and thank god you’re not hurt. On a lighter note, did you buy your own Gremlin bell? Lol. As far as taking it to a dealer I doubt they will find anything other than the obvious. If it’s all superficial and you’re handy just save the money for parts. I’m always concerned riding today with so many people blasting music, texting etc... Same thing almost happened to me a few days ago. Woman was just switching lanes without spotting me. I had to use defensive driving techniques to get out of her way then gave her the finger. She said she didn’t see me.

***Edit***
True INS repair

Last edited by Ricky2Guns; 06-21-2019 at 08:08 PM.
Old 06-21-2019, 08:13 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Glad you're ok! Lucky is good!

Second, any time the engine guard is bent like that, there is more than a small chance that the frame is bent at the attachment point. That's usually a total. Make sure you have the dealership examine it.

Wizardofaus (06-21-2019)
Old 06-21-2019, 08:15 PM
wandrur
Cruiser
Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Glad you're okay and the bike isn't in worse shape. Also glad the guy was honest and apologetic.

Definitely agree with the above--have the dealer determine damage repair. Definitely make sure your insurance company is in contact with his insurance company so the proper party is responsible for repairs.

Wizardofaus (06-21-2019)
Old 06-21-2019, 08:21 PM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,663 Likes on 936 Posts

What everyone else said. Plus get a proper medical evaluation. It's on the other guys insurance.

Good thing you were geared up. 👍

Wizardofaus (06-21-2019)
Old 06-21-2019, 08:46 PM
tajar66
Tourer
Received 112 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by 0maha
Sorry you stacked, but glad you came out ok.

My $0.02: The name of the game from here is soaking the other guy's insurance for all their worth.

Get the bike to the dealer and have them write up everything. Everything.

Get yourself to a doctor and get checked out. If it hurts today and didn't hurt before the accident, it goes on the chart.

What Omaha said

Quick Reply: Got hit....