General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pull a trailer with bike

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2019, 08:55 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,746 Likes on 6,893 Posts

Sorry to hear about this accident that took a fellow riders life.

I don’t have a need for a trailer. We have learned to pack just what is needed for up to 9 days now so far. But I know several people with them that love them and have not had any issues.

One thing that has always concerned me is that people think they can ride jus as fast towing a trailer as not.

Load balance, tongue weight, overall weight, less braking power, additional tires and wheel bearings. Lots of things that can go wrong.

One of our RT guys on a Goldwing had a flat on his trailer coming back from DC this year. Got it changed and in less than 5 miles the bearing on that wheel failed. Had to leave it at a gas station and go back for it with his truck.

Old 06-22-2019, 09:41 PM
Firebike32
Road Warrior
Received 139 Likes on 91 Posts

We have well over 100K on our Aluma and it has never caused us any handling problems. As far as loading, we just throw and go. I have never checked weight distribution and have never had the trailer sway. I stand corrected. I did have one trip when I looked in the mirror, I could see a slight sway in the trailer which was not normal. I pulled over thinking one of the trailer tires was low. Turns out it was the rear tire on the bike that was going flat. Never felt it on the bike but seeing the trailer sway got me to stop.

Old 06-22-2019, 11:34 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,489 Likes on 1,602 Posts

I've owned and pulled trailer(s) since '93 and I have never had a negative incident.

Keeping new (or good) tires properly inflated and wheel bearings well greased, in addition to the proper loading of the trailer will greatly reduce the possibilities of problems.

Pulling a trailer with any vehicle requires more attention to what you are doing and remembering to make wide turns and increasing the distance between you and other vehicles.

I pulled my trailers across many states including AK, as well as through many mountain ranges and across Death Valley, incident free.

I've personally never seen a bike accident being directly related to pulling a trailer but I did witness a couple on I-80 pulling a trailer with a metric touring bike pass me a nearly 80MPH and change lanes so quickly that their trailer was swaying from side-to-side.

I haven't used my trailer in a long time as y wife rides her own bike and the need for luggage space was reduced.
The other reason that I may sell it someday is "warranty related" issues as I'm sure most of y'all are aware.

Old 06-22-2019, 11:41 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,384 Likes on 2,951 Posts

Originally Posted by AussieDog
Over the last few years I've learned a lot of the HD Forum, even after 45+ years of riding. So educate me -- many of you have emphasized that pulling a trailer is no problem, if its properly loaded. No one has said what "properly loaded" is. Why don't you use the opportunity to educate the rest of us. Not being a smart ***, just encouraging you to share your knowledge.
As long as the trailer weighs < 40% of the towing motorcycle, you should be ok. Now, if you wanna run 100mph+, then all bets are off.
Helpful tip~ Never tow an Ultra with a Sportster, and go over 55mph...

The following users liked this post:
bentparts (06-24-2019)
Old 06-22-2019, 11:56 PM
BikerPepe`
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,846 Likes on 1,354 Posts

Well... I don't recommend doing this but in a pinch

Like others, I've put a ton of miles and many smiles with my little biker trailer tugging along behind me.

No real idea what could have happened with the downed riders and I won't hazard an uneducated guess.
Ride In Peace

Mountainkowboy (06-23-2019)
Old 06-22-2019, 11:58 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,489 Likes on 1,602 Posts

Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ
As long as the trailer weighs < 40% of the towing motorcycle, you should be ok. Now, if you wanna run 100mph+, then all bets are off.
Helpful tip~ Never tow an Ultra with a Sportster, and go over 55mph...
In the mid-80's, I saw a guy up in Michigan's U.P. pulling a full-sized "teardrop" camper with an older model Shovelhead Electra-Glide!

bentparts (06-24-2019)
Old 06-23-2019, 07:23 AM
Pothole914
Grand HDF Member

Received 3,682 Likes on 1,469 Posts

Originally Posted by Qdog002
Is that the Harbor Freight trailer? How do you like it?
Yes, Harbor Freight. I've had this one for about 5 years now. Easily 30,000 miles on it. The day I got it I changed the grease in the bearings. The "vaseline" they put in them is crap. Clean and repack them yearly. All LED lights. I've had it loaded up to 500 lbs and pulled it empty, never had an issue. Unfortunately you can't buy them any longer, Harbor discontinued them. It is a great little trailer and fits my needs to a T.

Qdog002 (06-23-2019)
Old 06-23-2019, 07:37 AM
Zerk
Banned
Received 827 Likes on 655 Posts

I'll never pull either. Sure you can't feel it when pulling it, but you will never convince me it doesn't affect emergency stops.

I do have rack for both my Harleys that goes behind rear tire.

Old 06-23-2019, 10:56 AM
Pothole914
Grand HDF Member

Received 3,682 Likes on 1,469 Posts

Originally Posted by Zerk
I'll never pull either. Sure you can't feel it when pulling it, but you will never convince me it doesn't affect emergency stops.

I do have rack for both my Harleys that goes behind rear tire.
Of course it affects stopping. You plan for it, keep your distance. It's not rocket science.

Old 06-23-2019, 01:43 PM
Zerk
Banned
Received 827 Likes on 655 Posts

Originally Posted by Pothole914
Of course it affects stopping. You plan for it, keep your distance. It's not rocket science.
Deer runs out, traffic comes to stop, ect. There is a reason why it's called emergency stopping, and if you are honest with yourself it's not rocket surgery that it will have an effect.

Quick Reply: Pull a trailer with bike