General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Down sizing

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 08:23 PM
klee
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Down sizing

Hey, I'm a 70 year old rider who has ridden some kind of motorized cycle since I was 14. The past few years I've ridden a '99 Ultra Classic which I love. The situation is this: I hate to admit I'm not as strong as I once was and that is a BIG machine. I am thinking maybe a smaller lighter bike would be better for me. Now I don't want to hear that I need to hang it up, cause that ain't gonna happen. I like a nice windshield or preferably a faring; don't care for the bugs in the teeth etc. I am open for ideas, and Thanks in advance.

Ken

Old 07-17-2007, 08:25 PM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Down sizing

you might consider the Dyna family,,, they are lower and lighter,, tons of quick detatchable goodies
price is good on a superglide,, like 12500 new

Old 07-17-2007, 08:26 PM
wesd41
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Road King. Same bike, less weight (and storage capacity, and gadgets).

Old 07-17-2007, 08:29 PM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

by the way,,,, no ones gonna tell ya ta hang it up!!they will have to deal with me buddy,, I got your back!!! lol

Old 07-17-2007, 08:30 PM
YUCK
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Outrigger,,,,,hack,,,,,sidecar.....

Old 07-17-2007, 08:31 PM
tda69
Stellar HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Well....I have a few thoughts. You could always remove the Tour Pack (see my photo) and lower your bike somewhat and that would make it easier to handle. As a plus, if you ever need the TP, you can mount it back on ina jiff with the docking station, which is what I did. As you know, if you want a fairing you're limited to the Touring family which leaves you only two choices: Batwing or Sharknose. The Road Glide has the Sharknose and the Ultra, Street Glide, Electra Glide Standard and Electra Glide Classic all have the Batwing. I'm not telling you anything you don't already know. So taking off the TP is my best advise, or possibly look at a Heritage Softail. It comes with a windshield and bags ready to roll. That might be an option.

Old 07-17-2007, 09:03 PM
JBA111
Road Captain

hay don't over look the Sportster!. They do make fairings and hard bags for them. And for those NOT in the know the Sportster is a quick handling lil POWERHOUSE!! Ifn you doubt it go and rev up on a 1200 Sporty and see if yur big bike can keep up!
I got an Ultra for the long rides and a Sporty for the local stuff and just plain FUN rides. But I ran accross this country 5 or 6 times on a Sporty years ago, and may just do it again.
Anyways there are a TON of extras out there for the Sportster today.

Old 07-17-2007, 09:09 PM
stafford
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Kenneth you could lower the bike quite a bit , 1" in the front and 1" to 1 1/2" in the back., send your seat out to have it cut down a little, the way I understand it they can lower your seat an inch pretty easily. That would give you a lot lower center of gravity and let you get your feet on the ground better. Like the others said removing the tour pak would help a lot too. Good Luck Klee. Stafford

Old 07-17-2007, 09:41 PM
TraumaKing
Banned

ORIGINAL: klee

Hey, I'm a 70 year old rider who has ridden some kind of motorized cycle since I was 14. The past few years I've ridden a '99 Ultra Classic which I love. The situation is this: I hate to admit I'm not as strong as I once was and that is a BIG machine. I am thinking maybe a smaller lighter bike would be better for me. Now I don't want to hear that I need to hang it up, cause that ain't gonna happen. I like a nice windshield or preferably a faring; don't care for the bugs in the teeth etc. I am open for ideas, and Thanks in advance.

Ken
Nice to hear you still have your teeth at 70! Personaly I think it is fantastic that your still riding! I hope I am lucky enough at your age to still enjoy the simple pleasures in life. I think that whatever you decide on and feel comfortable with is what you should go with .........I mean it will be your bike and your the one that will be riding it not us. This is a personal choice, good luck and give us holler and let us know what YOU decide to get!

Old 07-17-2007, 09:47 PM
WS6 Formula
Stellar HDF Member
Received 247 Likes on 164 Posts

Quick Reply: Down sizing